Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

When DIY goes wrong. (Bridge Hammock spreader bar fail)

Hi guys. I'm in the middle of constructing my first "Grizz Bridge Hammock" (A.K.A. Rhino Bridge) and wanted to share a mishap.

Bridge Spreader Fail..jpg

I thought the 10mm x 1090mm (1.5mm thick) aluminum pole I used was total overweight and overkill for what i'd be using it for but I guess not. It buckled when I was testing for a good hang angle..... These could have been my US$150 CF hiking poles

Reason for breakage (other than obesity) i'm guessing it's something to do with suspension triangle head length 30" vs spreader bar length 42" (It's just what I had around. Bar too long for a short suspension triangle (Too much squeeze on the pole.... longer suspension triangle = less stress on pole.).

Any other guesses? I've got $5 in materials in this project but plenty of hours. The google-fu and progress is ongoing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If the triangle dogbones are only 30" compared to 42" spreader bars, than yes, that's a poor ratio.

But, 10mm tubing is not large enough. I don't think I would even trust 10mm solid rod. Also, I'm guessing they are made from a soft, low tensile strength aluminum while the tubing that is usually used is a high tensile strength tempered aluminum.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If the triangle dogbones are only 30" compared to 42" spreader bars, than yes, that's a poor ratio.
    Yes. Having a triangle side be at least 75% and closer to 80% of the spreader bar length is one of my constant mantras. 30/42 = 71%. Well into the danger zone.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    But, 10mm tubing is not large enough. I don't think I would even trust 10mm solid rod. Also, I'm guessing they are made from a soft, low tensile strength aluminum while the tubing that is usually used is a high tensile strength tempered aluminum.
    Agreed again, that looks like soft aluminum you could bend over your knee.

I'm glad it wasn't your CF poles too...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Finally had a chance to test and retest today. Thanks for the replies Grizz and Gmcttr. Amazingly helpful with all your comments/examples/pictures/videos elsewhere.
    I also found out why my poles ended up longer than they should have been in the first place; Taiwan has their own inches measurement. 36" on their tape measure is 42" on my trusted tape measure. (I looked at about 4 they had lying around.)..... I learnt something.

The aluminum poles i've got are weak but will work till my Questoutfitter .625" poles arrive.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    Finally had a chance to test and retest today. Thanks for the replies Grizz and Gmcttr. Amazingly helpful with all your comments/examples/pictures/videos elsewhere.
    I also found out why my poles ended up longer than they should have been in the first place; Taiwan has their own inches measurement. 36" on their tape measure is 42" on my trusted tape measure. (I looked at about 4 they had lying around.)..... I learnt something.

The aluminum poles i've got are weak but will work till my Questoutfitter .625" poles arrive.
    I did a little internet research and found that an inch in Taiwan is 1.19291339 U.S. inches long. It's rather curious that a tenth of a foot, old U.S. surveyors measurements, equals 1.2 U.S. inches. 12 Taiwan "inches" would equal 14.31496068 U.S. inches or 1.19291339 U.S. feet.

A foot in Taiwan, a chhu'n, is 30.30 cm in length. So it begs the question. When is a foot not a foot?

Learning all the time we are!
    I'm so far behind I think I'm in the lead!

“The sun shines not on us but in us.”
    ― John Muir

The Son shines on us and through us so that others may see His Light.

Newton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Glad you figured the problem out! I had a similar issue last summer----I DIYd a griz bridge, and was experimenting with poles and pole sockets/ways to connect dog bones to spreader bars. As I was laying in the hammock, one of the spreader bar sockets let loose and the spreader bar launched it self into the woods like an arrow out of a bow! Im really glad about 2 things 1. i tried this at home first 2. no one (including my self) was in the way-----theres alot of pressure on the spreader bar, and when this baby took off it was pretty impressive! Good luck with your new hammock!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

i of course didn't fully test my system when i headed to the woods, and of course the wind blew and the rain fell that night. so about two hours into my slumber my 3/4" wood dowel (who knew lowe's sells trekking poles ) let go when i guess a gust of wind pushed the tarp (aka 1mil dollar store drop cloth) against the end of the pole at an angle and i got dropped about 10 inches. being still 1/2 an inch or so off the ground i just turned around and let my feet dangle. worked out ok, but not what i really wanted as my first hang. my spread was 36", held in place using a lashing through a 2" loop in my webbing, that part worked well, but i realized after i got home that when i measured my lines out i didn't add enough to cover my knots, duh-huh, so my triangle was about 4 inches shorter than i had planned. live and learn...i hope. rest of my group got a good laugh though, so mission accomplished. i even stayed dry.

• + New Posts