Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    I've never completely understood "overstuff" besides marketing. The baffles should be sized in H*W*L (cubic inches) appropriately to accommodate the fill weight (taking into consideration fill power). I suppose once could assume that the fill power ratings are slightly optimistic, in which case overfill might simply allow a margin for error. The other argument put forward is that over time down's loft will deteriorate slightly, and over-stuff can help compensate for this. While this may be true, taking good care of your gear and washing it in the appropriate manner should keep it like new.

This is all an uber long-winded way of saying that you should buy the 20 degree TQ. It should be more versatile and it lets you get out into nature for a larger percentage of the year. Paired with a decent pad and some sort of wind/rain protection, you should be set.

Welcome to HF, where we accept hammock hangers and ground dwellers alike

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    In SS's defense, I think it was a perfectly legitimate question. Sleeping on the ground IS different, though in your defense of asking, it ain't all that much different. Ordinarily I'd say, duh, the 20. But if you're truly a warm sleeper, and you do have a relatively warm pad (it ain't no downmat, though), you would probably get more use out of a 40.

I've got a regular (no overstuff) HG 40 UQ that I've taken down to 30, and I'm a cold sleeper, so I'd assume the TQ 40 w/overstuff might get you down to 25 with some comfort (no extra clothes, etc.).

p.s. definitely wide for the ground
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    I've never completely understood "overstuff" besides marketing. The baffles should be sized in H*W*L (cubic inches) appropriately to accommodate the fill weight (taking into consideration fill power). I suppose once could assume that the fill power ratings are slightly optimistic, in which case overfill might simply allow a margin for error. The other argument put forward is that over time down's loft will deteriorate slightly, and over-stuff can help compensate for this. While this may be true, taking good care of your gear and washing it in the appropriate manner should keep it like new.
    There are threads on the subject and there are opinions for and against... many, including me, feel that the extra down assists with loft and reduces loss of trapped heat due to movement which means it gets warmer faster and stays that way a little better. HammockGear, like most cottage folks, already overstuff around 20% over the "formula", but anecdotal evidence is that a little more does improve performance. Too much and you get drape issues besides diminishing returns.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Looks like the price difference between a 20* no overstuff and 40* 2oz overstuff is $22. I feel like that's pointing me to the 20*? I guess there's always a market for these if I get the 20* and it ends up being too warm.

By the by thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    as a half time ground sleeper, i find that my quilts work great either way. as long as you can tuck the quilt around you and you have adequate r rated pad beneath you. it takes a little to get used to it but i sleep well, waking up a couple times a night to switch sides.

my three season quilt is a JRB Hudson River and I have a HG 0 burrow.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I consider myself a warm sleeper and I went with the 40° TQ with 2oz of overstuff. I backpack and camp all year and the only time I've had to layer with some extra clothes was when the temps dipped to 25°F with a pretty stiff breeze. Weight was my primary reason for going with the TQ that I chose since I like to spend several days on the trail at a time and am planning on an AT true hike.

And on that note I would say that you would be happy with whichever quilt you choose.
    Not all who wander are lost...

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Easy to hang a leg out for cooling. Go wide as suggested. Straps help when it's cool out.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    When I'm rafting, I do use a tent & cot a fair amount. I use a thermarest and a HG 20 degree Burrow. Works great.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    I'd go with a 40* for 3 season use on the ground. I used a 20* bag on my transcontinental bicycle trip from Feb-May this year and sweat that bag out almost every night. And since you're from Chicago, I imagine you're pretty good at dealing with cooler temps. Hammock Gear quilts are rated fairly conservatively, so I think a 40 with overstuff would suit you just fine. In fact thats my 3 season quilt; for ground and hanging.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'm a half and half ground/hammock kind of hiker, defying all those who claim pain and suffering either way ( I really get grief for it).

I use a JRB Hudson River pretty much all the time, ground or hammock - two on the hammock, in fact, one under one over. Six years, no problems. Get the quilt that's adequate for your body size. Big beefy guys need more quilt, 5' 7" average BMI kinds of people can use any 50+" quilt and have enough to tuck in. And you need a pad of decent R value to go with it, if you'll get much below freezing on a regular basis.

LOL. I said the same thing twice in the same thread.... apparently I'm losing my memory....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast