Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Hutzelbein's observations are perceptive. I think all underquilts require practice to learn how best to suspend them, and people's reports of their successes (and failures) tend to be subjective. It's difficult to draw general conclusions about their effectiveness (although I have just done so ). It's well that the better (lighter) ones hold their value for resale.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My only experience is with an HG 10' incubator. Can't speak to whether it is better than another brand/cut/length, but I can tell you that my first night in the hammock was 29' and I was toasty warm with no cold spots, no fiddling, and no prior experience. Maybe I just got lucky, maybe it's good design, but I'll take it either way.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    As usual, I want instant gratification, so I'll probably just order one.. I ended up with four hammocks within a month of my first hang with the "I can always sell it" mentality. Sold only one.... BTW I would echo that Hutzelbein often has really good advice and I defer because I love the name Hutzelbein. I always think wow, this person is in EUROPE and bothers to order this stuff and comment they must be super dedicated, which may be true for ordering but as for forum participation... Geography is irrelevant. That said I don't participate in too many German-language forums, so I retain my admiration for Hutzelbein.
    Anyone know what a full length 20 degree incubator weighs? I can't find it on the website, and is argon fragile?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I know what you are talking about. I was having cold spots with my Winter Yeti and I made a few tweaks to the suspension that have helped. No worries now.

1. At both ends where the draft tubes are: I ran thin shock cord thru the end hems and added a cord lock on each to pull and tighten the ends just a bit. This elastic cord allows the quilt ends to stay tight against the hammock when I move around in the hammock so it doesn't gap.

2. The Yeti has a full circle cord suspension which is great for positioning the quilt when you first get in, but it can sag at the butt after you are in the hammock and moving around thru the night. I added grosgrain loops at each corner and put on a heavy shockcord from the right footend to the left footend with a cord linelock. Did the same at the head end. This shock cord is long enough to loop over the end knots of my Blackbird.

Once you position your hammock with the original full circle suspension, you can put the second suspension in place and pull the corners tight so you don't get any butt sag.

3. You can also add a small Dutch hook to the new suspension line at each end and change the angle of the suspension line and it will pull it up tighter to the hammock. For a small weight penalty with these mods, I'm staying warmer than that original suspension.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 04-28-2014 at 15:52.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    HG 3/4 Length Clone here. They do work well. If the marketing got to you, so much the better. Quality gear. Conservatively rated.

The suspension is tight and the ends cinch down pretty well. Not even sure it was built for an 11' hammock, but it works really well after initial adjustments. (I watched Shug's UQ video over AGAIN!)

Bought Quilt hooks for it, but gave them away in a raffle. Didn't need em.

Keep fiddling. Easy to tell when it's right. Feels like it generating it's own heat.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    Thanks everyone! I'll specifically try happy campers advice.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Big Muddy, If you want pictures of the mods, let me know and I can post.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmuddy View Post
    As usual, I want instant gratification, so I'll probably just order one.. I ended up with four hammocks within a month of my first hang with the "I can always sell it" mentality. Sold only one....
    I know exactly what you're talking about. One can never have too many hammocks (or underquilts. Or tarps. Or...)

BTW I would echo that Hutzelbein often has really good advice and I defer because I love the name Hutzelbein. I always think wow, this person is in EUROPE and bothers to order this stuff and comment they must be super dedicated, which may be true for ordering but as for forum participation... Geography is irrelevant. That said I don't participate in too many German-language forums, so I retain my admiration for Hutzelbein.
    No worries; I'm glad if I can help another addict - I got plenty of help here myself. Got nobody to talk hammocks over here, unfortunately. And this is by far *the* friendliest forum I have ever found. That keeps me coming back.

Anyone know what a full length 20 degree incubator weighs? I can't find it on the website, and is argon fragile?
    HG lists the weights under the "Specs" tab; the standard length 20° Incubator is supposed to weigh 22oz. My short Incubator was pretty much the listed weight, so the specs seem to be trustworthy.

I haven't had the chance to use my Argon uq outdoors, yet, but the material doesn't give me the impression that I would need to be super careful. Not more than I would be anyway. That said, I'm usually not tough on my stuff, so others might have a different opinion. It is the most down proof fabric that I have seen, though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I do think something that I dont see mentioned too often when reading of issues like this is the lifespan of the shock cord suspension. I dont know that specifics, but anything that gets stretched out over and over and subjected to hot and cold like this will eventually lose some of its ability to return to original length. I would love to hear if anyone can confirm this or speak to this subject as I would imagine that, at some point, the shock cord needs to be replaced due to this factor.

This only comes up as many users often buy second hand quilts, especially as a first quilt, and if the quilt suspension has lost some of its original tension, then this could explain some new users issues with an UQ. Replacing a shock cord suspension is not terribly difficult or expensive, but when buying a used UQ, unless known to be brand new or almost new, I think I would be prepared to replace the suspension first thing after noticing any sag or failure to snug up.

Just thinking over the topic and it seems like a distinct possibility.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It must be a cord mfgr issue with shock cord that severely breaks down. Some shock cords I've had for years look like new with little or no stretch issues and others look like they've been abused and are ineffective and have been replaced. The stretch does diminish with time but more tension solves that; for me anyway.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast