Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images

All Women Hang

I was reading Thistle's new post about her shyness to coming to a Group Hang without her hubby. This got me thinking, oh my. Their are probably other women hangers out there that would love to come to a Group Hang, but are concerned about going without anyone they know into a hang with strange men, and you men know who you are You guys are the greatest, this is the best forum on the planet, and I have met a lot of you at hangs. But, this isn't about how wonderful, and gaseous you guys are at hangs. This is about getting women involved in Hammocks.

So ladies .... any interest in an all women hanging weekend? We could go to the Red River Gorge, we could hike into to a site, or camp close to the cars if you would feel more comfortable? Putting the thought out there ....

Sounds like a great idea...can men come too??

Im only teasing you. I do struggle sometimes with the concept of singling out groups in the name of equality but this sounds like a really good idea. People should be encouraged to get and expand their horizons; no one should miss out because of the pressure of a large (male / female / intimidating / organised / rowdy etc) group.

I applaud your efforts and hope it comes together for you

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I agree with you onfire about singling out groups. I been thinking about this idea for awhile, but haven't voiced it because I didn't want to diss the great guys on this forum. I've tried to get some of my girl friends to come to a Group Hang, but they are hesitant. Some people need a smaller group before they hang with the larger group, shyness is tough. Any opportunity to learn about hammocks is a good opportunity. So ladies if you are interested, but don't want to post in an open forum just yet, send me a Private Message. If there is enough interest we will get some weekend dates out there.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    This sounds like a great idea! Times like this, I really do wish I lived a little more southern than I do!
    Debi

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The only group you can legally discriminate against in the USA.....men!

What about men with skirts kilts?

OK, on the serious side, this sounds like a great idea. Now all you need to do is to get us men to stop posting in your thread.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    This sounds like a great idea! Times like this, I really do wish I lived a little more southern than I do!
    Me too Debi, makes me think it's time for a road trip though, meet you in Michigan somewhere and share the ride??

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Depending on scheduling, I would be interested.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Gee, I want to, wow, I really want to, however, you are just too far away. Wish we could do something like S.W. Missouri which is about the geographical center of the USA. I move between Oregon and Northern B.C. KY is a world away.

I do not like segmenting groups by something about a person. However, I have talked to women who would very much like to come to a Hang, however they are fearful of what they might be walking into. Primarily they are leery of walking into a group of men, or worse yet, a group of men without their women and using alcohol.

My daughter and I did go to such a Hang and I was concerned, we ended up taking down our hammock and leaving. Before that incident, I told single women they would be fine, that the people that went to Hangs were all civilized people, and the Hangs were perfectly safe for everyone and lots of fun. I have always done what I want to do, it is not unusual for me to be the only female. I have always been very careful how I conduct myself, so I have always been treated as a lady. However, the Hang where the participants were getting wild was full of the younger Hangers, guys in their early 20's NOT the usual mix of people we have found in previous Hangs.

In the interest of getting women into the fun of Hanging and going to Hangs I think it would be great to get us all together. I wish, I wish.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, WBBB 1.1 & 1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    HG CF, SF, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20*Phx,WL 15*TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    I love the idea of an all women's hang! I actually belong to a women's hiking club, Trail Dames, where Hammock hanging has become a popular alternative to ground dwelling. We even have Thru hiking Icon , Certain within our ranks. If we can plan, far enough out , I can cross post to our large membership. Let me know, if I can do anything to help with planning.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Hi MuleTeam, I've heard of the Trail Dames, sounds like a fun group. Right now we are picking out a time and place in July. Area we are looking at is around the Grayson Highlands or New River Gorge NP. Check for updates here and we will need help with logistics when we set the time and location.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast