DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

AmSteel should arrive today - questions

Ok, I have my table cloth hammocks and they have channels sewn in the ends. Right now we have zip ties running through the ends to gather it all up. I think we want to change that and have the fixed end of the whoopie slings made out of AmSteel run through the channels instead. Is there a problem with doing it this way? I have printed off instructions on how to make the whoopie slings and if I understand correctly there is one end loop that is fixed and one that is adjustable. I have been searching the forum and it looks like some people are now putting a little piece of Amsteel in the area of the fixed loop to keep it from slipping out. Is this correct? Otherwise I am trying to figure out what is keeping the tail from slipping out when it is not under load. My Cub Scout will be using some of these whoopie slings and I don't want it to come apart from him fiddling around with it.

OK, so the other end of the whoopie sling is adjustable. Looks like most people prefer it to be around 6 feet long. Is this correct? Is there any benefit to making it longer or shorter? I have some 1" webbing on order for the tree straps that I will DIY. I also want my tree straps to be adjustable. Or is this overkill?

I just want this whole system to be as adjustable and as adaptable as possible.

What am I missing?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Larks head the fixed eye of the whoopie sling through the sewn end channel. This will hold and still allow the slings to be removed whenever necessary. You will need 12.5 ft of amsteel for each 6ft whoopie sling. If you have a loop turner (or piece of thick wire) I would suggest using the instructional videos on youtube for making whoopies with a bury rather than the knotted ones.

1" webbing is perfect for tree straps and is not over kill at all.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here you go this helps a ton.

And this for whoopies on sewn end channels:

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    There are numerous ways to string your hammocks. Here is what I have done ...

I ran a length of 550 cord through my channel. Then I tightly wrapped the cord around the end and pulled the loose ends through the wrapping to secure them. Then I larks headed the fixed loop of the amsteel on top of the wrap. I have not had any concerns (or issues) with the amsteel slipping off of the hammock. Although, I do give it a quick once over visually each time I get in. My original DIY whoopies were made a couple of feet longer, but I haven't needed the excess, so my current ones are shorter. If extra distance is needed, I would add it to the tree strap and I would base this off of the trees in your area.

Good luck,
    STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Images
    I use a plastic bead to prevent the loop from going into the bury(sp?).
    On the tag end you can do a cool looking knot or pull the end in on itself to make it fatter.

If weight is not an issue longer tree straps should make the whole system more versatile. 15' is a nice length.
    Toggles make the tree straps as adjustable as possible.

hth

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    You've about got it.

The fixed eye is just that. It is a "locked brummel" and nothing is needed to keep it in place, except the proper splicing to make it. People often put a loop of amsteel, a bead, etc, in the loop of the adjustable end, so it cannot be pulled into itself. As far as the tail on the adjustable end, when you bury the end to clean it up, it makes for a decent stopper. Allowing for a little bit of extra, you could do an easy stopper knot to prevent the little ones from pulling it out.

You can Larks Head the fixed eye of your whoopie around/through the end channel just like you want. Lots of folks do it. Lots of folks also make short (8-12") continuous loops and use those instead, and attach those to the whoopie slings.

I like long straps for adjustability, too. There's nothing wrong with it, save that it maybe added weight/space.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    Ok, I have my table cloth hammocks and they have channels sewn in the ends. Right now we have zip ties running through the ends to gather it all up. I think we want to change that and have the fixed end of the whoopie slings made out of AmSteel run through the channels instead. Is there a problem with doing it this way? ...
    Generally, three rows of stitching are used to make the end channel if the suspension is going to run through it. One row of stitching is OK if just using a cord or zip tie in the channel to gather the end.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    THANKS!!!

So if we Larks head the fixed eye of the whoopie sling, do I need to add that little piece of buried AmSteel to prevent it from slipping out when it is not under load? Like this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ll-Through-Mod

As far as the tree straps, I understand 1" is the standard that everyone is using, I was just wondering if sewing loops in to the tree straps somehow would be over kill. Like to many variations and available adjustments. Am I using two systems that do the same thing. I am thinking a caribiner from the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling to one of many loops on the tree straps like this http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...ct/AST001.html.

Are there DIY instructions somewhere for the Atlas straps? I just am not sure how they are securing it to the tree and having the multiple loops.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...So if we Larks head the fixed eye of the whoopie sling, do I need to add that little piece of buried AmSteel to prevent it from slipping out when it is not under load? Like this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ll-Through-Mod...
    The link you provided shows a short piece of amsteel added to the ADJUSTABLE LOOP of the whoopie sling to prevent the loop from being accidentally pulled into the bury.

The small FIXED eye splice on the end that is larks headed to the hammock is locked by either making it with a locked brummel or a plain bury with lock stitching. I think most of us use the locked brummel but either will work equally well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

As far as the tree straps, I understand 1" is the standard that everyone is using, I was just wondering if sewing loops in to the tree straps somehow would be over kill. Like to many variations and available adjustments. Am I using two systems that do the same thing. I am thinking a caribiner from the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling to one of many loops on the tree straps like this http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...ct/AST001.html.

If using whoopie slings with straps, you don't need the straps to be adjustable like the Atlas straps. The purpose of the whoopie slings is to enable all the adjustments you need. The primary purpose of the straps is to prevent tree damage by distributing the force over the wider area vs having a thin rope on the tree and possibily damaging the underlying cambium layer.

A very commmon method of using whoopis slings with straps is to put the adjustable loop of the whoppie sling around a Marlin Spike Hitch. The MSH can be made at any point on the strap if you need more suspension length. All you need to make the MSH is a toggle which can be made from just about anything that resists compression such as a trail stick, a tent pole repair sleeve, copper tubing, a wooden dowel, a carabiner...you get the picture. If you don't want to use a toggle, Dutchware has some cool stuf for whoopie sling use. Just sew a fixed loop on one end of the tree strap to secure it around the tree and the free end can be for the MSH and whoopie sling.
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-23-2014 at 13:23.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast