Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Double layer BB pad challenge

I have a challenge for all you double layer Blackbird owners.

Using a Styrofoam or a CCF pad, design a pad that will fit across you shoulder (at least) and down to the end of your feet and will fit between the layers of the BB.

I am not done. it is not that easy so keep reading.

1. This pad must be designed so that you can lay in the BB off center.
    2. The pad cannot wrinkle nor have any unnatural ripples in it when you lay in it.
    3. You must be able to lay the pad between the layers in the off center position (the position you would normally lie in while in the hammock). Then when you get into the hammock the pad will not shift and move from this position but stay in place. This way the pad will be directly under you when you're laying the hammock in the off center position.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

close

What I use is a 3/4 length 1" POE self inflating pad plus 3/8" Gossamer Gear ccf pads cut in half.

POE pad = 17.0 oz.
    GG pads = 5.6 oz. - two pads 19.5" X 29.5"

I have taken the combination well below freezing in comfort.

Weighs 1.6 oz more than a Mt. Washington 3, but less than a Mt Washington 4.

Provides a couple generoulsy sized pit pads for camp.

The POE packs small and makes a good pack frame.

Maybe does not meet the challenge, but works well for me.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Why not just cut a few pieces of blue ccf and lay them out like they would be if within a Speer SPE? A couple of big loop stitches could connect all the pads together. Just put some drops of silicone caulk on the bottom of the pads and let it dry. Then, you can put them in place between the layers and the dried drops of silicone will help prevent the pads from slipping around.

Why do you want something so bulky? Is this for your thru?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Why not just cut a few pieces of blue ccf and lay them out like they would be if within a Speer SPE? A couple of big loop stitches could connect all the pads together. Just put some drops of silicone caulk on the bottom of the pads and let it dry. Then, you can put them in place between the layers and the dried drops of silicone will help prevent the pads from slipping around.

Why do you want something so bulky? Is this for your thru?
    I don't know if you are talking to me or Food.

I do not have anything bulky for a pad. I have a CCF. Before I cut up my CCF I have been experimenting with a couple of pieces of the thin blue Wal-mart foam that I have been cutting up trying to get something in the right shape that works. I have tried making a SPE and that does not work.

The problem is that no matter what shape you make, when you place it in the hammock on a diagonal and as soon as you sit in the hammock and raise your feet and start to get into the hammock the pad at the foot end will always shift towards the center. It will not stay in the foot box.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I don't know if you are talking to me or Food.
    Anybody that will listen; I was an only child.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I do not have anything bulky for a pad. I have a CCF. Before I cut up my CCF I have been experimenting with a couple of pieces of the thin blue Wal-mart foam that I have been cutting up trying to get something in the right shape that works. I have tried making a SPE and that does not work.

The problem is that no matter what shape you make, when you place it in the hammock on a diagonal and as soon as you sit in the hammock and raise your feet and start to get into the hammock the pad at the foot end will always shift towards the center. It will not stay in the foot box.
    I haven't run into that problem with the pad moving to the center, although I very rarely use a pad under me. It also may be that it's the pad I'm using. The Gossamer Gear pads are fairly 'sticky' so they stay in place quite nicely. I can see the Wallyworld stuff moving around a bunch.

The bulk question was just curiosity. I have yet to see a pad that can pack down as small as my 3-season Yeti, so I was just giving you a hard time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    I have a cut to (angel/bird)shape 4mm EVA pad, yet to sleep on it but i just tested it an hour ago and it stays in place fine.
    It is 105cm large at the wings(1m long) and tapers from 50 to ~40cm at the foot end.
    Nice thing is you can fold in the wings to have extra insulation right were it's needed should you go to ground.

If its for Hammock use only i'd make it asymetrical though and the footend a little larger - ~50-55cm.

I think the shifting might be more due to the material used than the shape

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    my current set-up
    3/8"x19.5"x45" GG CCF pad (cut down...weighs 4oz)
    plus
    a climashield (2.5oz/yd) UQ 36"x51" weights 7oz
    total 11oz
    Move the pad towards feet for mild temps...under shoulders for cooler temps. Pad stays flat in place as it is shorter than full length. the UQ keeps the elbows and knees warm and the pad covers the high pressure points of shoulders and backside
    I've used this set-up to 38*F - no worries!

Just offering another option
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Attroll,

I feel your pain about the pad issue!

The past couple mornings before it reaches melting temperatures (whew! sure is hot here in GA!), I've been going out and experimenting with different pads in a double bottom hammock I'm trying to make at the moment.

So far I've tried out a full length Ridgerest, a modified thinlite type pad, a wally world pad, and a women's 66" POE Ether Thermo 6.

I was having the same wrestling issues with the pads, but then I learned a little trick this morning that really seem to help pretty well. I thought I'd pass it along...

First I got the pad into position, then right before I went to sit, I reached between the layers of the hammock bottom and grabbed the head end corner edge of the pad and kept ahold of that while I did the initial "tail-spin" getting in. This didn't keep it perfectly in place, but is sure made a HUGE difference with the pad staying on the diagonal!!

Perkolady

PS- For me, I found the wally pad to be more slippery than the thinlite type pad.

Hammock
    Switchback & WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Hey Guys,
    I am still a couple of weeks out on getting my BB and this thread is of special interest as I plan to use a thin, full size CCF pad.

I was just imagining this problem of keeping the pad secured up close to the foot box and wondering if we couldn't sew in a couple of "pad holders", between the layers up near the foot box.
    These holders could be short straps with Velcro sewn to one side.
    Maybe two such small straps in total. Sew the corresponding other half of the Velcro to the pad at the proper spacing.

You could lay it open to get to this area to work. Could be a little fiddley to do but once in place they should hold the pad well.

Velcro is of course not the only thing that could work but you get the idea... ( Large Buttons, snaps etc.) just some method of keeping the pad in place sewn between the layers at the appropriate locations.

Cheers,
    Darrel

anyone use Ed Speer's pad and cut it down. It is wide and long so you might be able to make it work
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast