Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    A high loft synthetic bag will keep you warm and toasty without an uq. I sucessfuly used a 0* syn bag as intended, and was toasty at 17*.r
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Gathered End
    Tarp
    Noah 12', DIYTyvek
    Insulation
    ALPS Air Mattress
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    I've never used a UQ. I haven't been in temperatures I would consider "UQworthy". I use a wally world cheap, blue pad and put a wool blanket on top of that and I use an old sleeping bag as a top quilt. I have only been car camping since I started hanging so weight hasn't been an issue. I've gotten down into the low to mid 40's F without any issues. Actually got a little sweaty, which made getting out in the middle of the night for the call of nature a bit . . . brisk.
    Frank

This one time at Scout camp. . .

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    all temperatures are UQ worthy! The idea behind them is that they are supreme way to insulate the hammock from below.

Sure pads work, as do sleeping bags (synthetics work better bc they resist compression more so than down) but both take away from the comfort of hammocks.

Pads don't conform to yur body as well as a hammock + UQ; & getting 'into' yur sleeping bag, zipped up, can be down right tricky in a hammock.

A good way to look at the hammock + UQ combo is to compare it to yur mattress at home. yu might not think it, but the mattress insulates yu from below. during hot nights, a thin sheet, or nothing at all on top is sufficient. Other nights, you layer up with sheets and blankets and duvets; but the one constant is the mattress.

Most people need something below them in a hammock when it dips below 75 degrees at night (which is most places, even in august). sometimes that something below yu is yur sleeping bag once yur zipped up, sometimes it's a pad, sometimes a wool blanket and sometimes it could just be yur clothing. But bare back on the hammock doesn't take much to feel a chill.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    I think your experience is absolutely anomalous. The only consistent response I get when I tell people I'm hammocking is " I tried that and froze". It's usually down to the 20s at night here and I am a warm sleeper. I froze without an UQ, I froze when my thermarest lost all it's air, my shoulders froze on a ridgerest, my shoulders froze when my pad extender fell apart mid-night.... All in a 0' Wiggys bag.... I tried using the bag upside down because it has a thinner bottom etc etc.
    If you can do it good for you, but I got one UQ and want more because they work, not because they are trendy. It would seem like there is a point of diminishing returns hauling a 0 degree synthetic bag around, but if it works I envy you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12