Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web

New England hanging spots

Hi,

Just want to find if anyone has a list of preferred hammock campgrounds or a list of campgrounds to avoid with a hammock in the New England area. I will be motorcycle camping mostly in VT and NH and maybe Western MA. The more dirt roads around the better.

Thanks,

Leon

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    From the research i've been doing, most campgrounds in the area are hammock friendly. My problem is, most campgrounds charge $25+ a night. Which for me to go hang my hammock seems very steep!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps

Hi Lightning,
    It might be worth it to stick to State or National forests, for the free hanging that you can do there.
    Sometimes I really appreciate being able to take a warm shower when camping, but I agree with atrane (autocorrected to "strange" ) that most campgrounds overcharge for the privilege of staying and using their facilities.

I even type with a Dutch accent.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Vermnont has loads of state parks with pretty cool, mostly undeveloped camping areas. a little on-line exploring starting here: http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/camping.htm might get you started. There are also some primitive campsites in GMNF. Look here: http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eas...rc=linkvermont

White Mountain National Forest has loads of developed campgrounds, and some really nice "dispersed" sites. Garfield Road is one nice area; Cherry Mountain Road is another good area.

I don't know of any priovate campgrounds I'd recommend. Ther emay be some, but I haven't ever really looked for them.
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bliksem View Post
    Hi,

Just want to find if anyone has a list of preferred hammock campgrounds or a list of campgrounds to avoid with a hammock in the New England area. I will be motorcycle camping mostly in VT and NH and maybe Western MA. The more dirt roads around the better.

Thanks,

Leon
    Bliksem,

If you're interested in Western, Ma camping on your bike, be sure to take a look at October Mountain out in the Berkshires. Exit 2 off of the Mass. Pike. It's a part of the Massachusetts State Forest group and they have a nice campground at $12 per night for up to 4 people/two vehicles. They allow off road biking/atv/etc.... in the area. There are some great hiking areas right from your camp site.

Also, Mt. Greylock is another great spot for bike camping. If you're not adverse to a small hike in, you can camp the primitive campground area at Greylock. Depending on where you park, its either a 1.2 or 1.8 mi hike in. Otherwise, there are plenty of areas there where you can park and hike in minimally and set up. The AT also runs nearby and it has shelters, etc....

You have plenty of choices out our way. DAR State Forest is another Bike friendly camp area with a great lake, great hiking and beautiful country.

All the best.
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Gil, are any of these open in the off-season? We are looking for a spot this weekend 4/26-4/27

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogrillz View Post
    Gil, are any of these open in the off-season? We are looking for a spot this weekend 4/26-4/27
    Greylock is open all year, but the access road are not. You can hike in all year.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Gogrillz- we have hiked And stayed at Greylock every season- if you're ok with a backpacking trip you can park at the Haley Farm and take the Hopper trail to the " official" campsites any time if the year. There are scattered adirondack shelters that are nice to use if it's raining.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Vermont all the way. Awesome dirt roads for dual sport bikes, and great camp areas. Forget the campgrounds, sleep in the wild

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the tips! Kinda hard to bring our backpacks on the bikes for the hike in. Have any of you guys ever been to the Somerset Airstrip in the Green Mountain National Forest in VT? It's open all year as well, what I don't know is if it's covered with snow. There're are also some campgrounds that open early in N.Y. But we find them entirely too close to home. It takes us longer to pack, than it does to ride there. We could go to MAHHA in PA, but at this point it looks packed with attendees. And now Amanda has Monday off, so we're looking at Sat to Mon instead of Fri to Sun. We could always go back to the Pines and visit Paul again. If you guys think of anything else post it up, thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast