DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    No brass grommets for tassels in the corners? I still think you need some steampunk Dutchware for the hammock.

I'm diggin it!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    Nah....elegant is a good choice.

Great job.
    Thanks. I just wish "warm down to 30 degrees" was the descriptor, sure would help save money on the heating bills. It is good that I found out just how crappy that quilted insulation is. I was originally thinking of it as UQ insulation and that it would work because of the thickness of the fabrics on the hammock (and the airspace between the inner and outer shells). Now I'm rethinking the UQ design to use Climashield with the waxed canvas outer shell and a muslin or denim inner, with some light quilting. It would still look old school on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see the whole get-up. I'm assuming you will be in the hammock smoking a pipe reading something like Egyptology & Ancient Weather Control or Fun with Re-Animation
    Yes, reclining in a khaki satin smoking jacket, green silk pajamas and Chinese slippers, peering over the top of my pince nez as Mrs. Abercrombie comes into the study with my nightly glass of hot buttered rum and the latest issue of Jane's Modern Airships, Dreadnaughts, and Submersibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    No brass grommets for tassels in the corners? I still think you need some steampunk Dutchware for the hammock.

I'm diggin it!
    Actually, brass grommets were in the plan, but I became afraid that the thickness of the multiple layers of fabric would be too thick and I'd end up with a ragged hole. I did have two tassels for the foot end, but---well---my dog ate one of them. I did leave the corners unsewn so that I can go back and add them when I have a pair---of tassels---a pair of tassels. I do think that when I make the wool liner, I'll add some brass snaps to the leather edging and put matching snaps and edging on the wool liner to keep it in place. I'm also going to be using brass suspender hooks and buttons to attach the hammock's sheet to the hammock. I'm using brass hooks for the gear hammock, and there will be a steam powered light and brass fan hanging from the ridge line. Finding brass Dutch Clips are going to be a problem, though.

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Love the material. I'm also looking forward to seeing everything together.
    Yah. It was originally going to be the hammock outer layer, but right after I bought 4 yards of it, some other stuff went on sale ($3 a yard cheaper too). It took a week for me to talk myself into spending the money, but I think that this fabric does work better in the quilt application. The only problem I've facing now is trying to figure out how to add 3" to each side of the fabric, or give up and go with a 54" wide hammock. I have an extra 2 yards of the quilt fabric lefr and I'm looking at making a valise so that the sherpas can carry the rolled up quilt more easily. I do so hate it when they drop it in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Nice one of a kind
    Thanks. But it doesn't have to be a one of a kind---I can make one for you if you'd like. How much are 120 year old hammocks going for these days?
    Last edited by sargevining; 04-15-2014 at 23:00.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Due to portability, hammocks have unofficially become the domain of backpackers. But I think you've touched on another aspect of hammocking. When you consider that many of our group hangs are nothing more than car camping with hammocks, the weight of the hammock is no longer an issue. I'm seeing themed hammocks as a real possibility.
    "What are we going to do tonight Brain"?
    "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world". -Pinky and the Brain

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zort View Post
    Due to portability, hammocks have unofficially become the domain of backpackers. But I think you've touched on another aspect of hammocking. When you consider that many of our group hangs are nothing more than car camping with hammocks, the weight of the hammock is no longer an issue. I'm seeing themed hammocks as a real possibility.
    Based on 7 1/2 pounds for the 7 foot long TQ, I'm gonna guess that the hammock itself will be around 15 once all the bells and whistles are added. That's heavy even by car camping standards. But as a piece of bedroom furniture, its comparatively light. Might see more folks doing something like this in the home---which is my purpose here. I hang in the living room and a 12 foot long camo nylon hammock just doesn't say "Come on in. Sit a spell." but something with fring and tassels might.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Based on 7 1/2 pounds for the 7 foot long TQ, I'm gonna guess that the hammock itself will be around 15 once all the bells and whistles are added. That's heavy even by car camping standards. But as a piece of bedroom furniture, its comparatively light. Might see more folks doing something like this in the home---which is my purpose here. I hang in the living room and a 12 foot long camo nylon hammock just doesn't say "Come on in. Sit a spell." but something with fring and tassels might.
    I'm telling you, you're on the cusp of an emerging market. I see too many folks with money every day that will spend top dollar for something of this ilk just to hang in an enclosed sunroom, man cave, or other area of the home. Lord above knows they spend for so many other ridiculous additions to the mansions they are rattling around in like two marbles in a shoe box.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Remember Sarge, for car camping with the family, I use the Taj-ma-tent with 3 8x8 rooms. My back wishes it was only 15lbs.
    "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world". -Pinky and the Brain

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Remember Sarge, for car camping with the family, I use the Taj-ma-tent with 3 8x8 rooms. My back wishes it was only 15lbs.
    Point taken.

Dude. You got thread injector skillz. How bout a trekkie hammock or something?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    That could be cool. I was also thinking of getting medieval on my hammock. There are the 2 pole pavilion style tents from days of yore. That seems like a perfect treeless hanging solution.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    That could be cool. I was also thinking of getting medieval on my hammock. There are the 2 pole pavilion style tents from days of yore. That seems like a perfect treeless hanging solution.

Cool. Something like this:

medieval-wedge-striped-tent.jpg

But I bet Mrs Zort is gonna want this one:

Frontview.jpg

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    That's the idea...Mrs Zort??? That's MY medieval hang...she's on her own at that point. That's one castle I won't give up being king of.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast