Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Second opinion on this poly tarp

I'm about to start getting stuff together for a custom poly tarp and came across this one http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=4050003

The weight is listed as 105g but I am skeptical. Are poly tarps ever this light or is the weight meant 105g/yd? I'm trying to get the lightest tarp in camo I can so this would be great.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Pretty sure that means grams per yard. It would be a fabric f about about a 3.7 ounces.

Used a lot of poly tarps over the years. The 8x10 weave is a nice density. But you're looking at a tarp that weighs probably 5 pounds.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried the poly tarp route - took about ten minutes for those grommets to fail. You don't usually see "lightest" and "poly tarp" in the same sentence! That will weigh a lot, and won't pack down very small.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ya I figured it would weigh more than that.

I know poly tarps aren't light but they may be my only choice, I have one now. I'd love to get something lighter but the rainproofing and durability are important to me. I live outside full time and I need something that can take a lot of abuse. I need something that I can roll up in or on, throw around, run into sharp limbs with etc. The more expensive alternatives would never last. I thought of tyvek but it's not as waterproof and is bright white. I like to blend into the background, not the snow.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great. I'm trying to shed weight, not add it.
    Last edited by sporehead; 04-14-2014 at 19:41.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    For $25 plus shipping, you can get camo 70d coated rip stop from diygearsupply.
    http://diygearsupply.com/product/70d...ded-to-cart=44

If I didn't have stuff on the way to make my own new setup, I would offer to make a standard 10x10 hex if you paid shipping. Maybe someone can help you out that's closer to where you are if you don't know how to use a machine.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Oh and a finished tarp of that size and material will weigh a little more than a pound finished weight.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    If you use the grommets, run your ridgeline or whatever line through the grommet to form a loop and place a toggle of some sort in the loop and pull tight it will save the grommets from failing so soon. and it will remain a little adjustable.

My Grandma has a sewing machine but she said it's broken and she doesn't know what or where. I can look at it later. If I can't get it figured out, I may need someone else to fashion something up for me. I have a special design I have been working on so I would have to get a few other materials before that happens. I'm going to stay away from grommets.

Is 70D coated rip stop nylon just as durable and waterproof as poly? It really has to hold up for me. Some materials let water through when there is a solid object in contact with the material. Is this material like that?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by sporehead View Post
    My Grandma has a sewing machine but she said it's broken and she doesn't know what or where. I can look at it later. If I can't get it figured out, I may need someone else to fashion something up for me. I have a special design I have been working on so I would have to get a few other materials before that happens. I'm going to stay away from grommets.

Is 70D coated rip stop nylon just as durable and waterproof as poly? It really has to hold up for me. Some materials let water through when there is a solid object in contact with the material. Is this material like that?
    70d is usually coated with polyurethane and is probably your best choice if you can stand the weight. It is waterproof and probably tougher than the polypro tarps.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Thanks for the fast reply. My current 8x10 poly tarp is something like 3.8lbs. Hoping my design is either lighter or the same weight for a larger area. I'll have to do the math on it. To give you an idea of what I'm after: 8.5'x11' hex tarp with no see um at the doors, grizz beak doors (maybe different material) and removable bathtub floor. Hence the dilemma on material...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast