DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Making a zipper? Experience needed.

Hey all, I did several hours of searching on here today and could not for the life of me find good info on how to make a zipper for an integrated bugnet. I have found plenty on actually sewing it on so that is not an issue (at this point in time), but how does one get the zipper pulls onto the zipper. Also, do I need starters and stoppers for the zipper at either end? I am assuming since Scott doesn't sell those little starters and stoppers, I won't be needing them, but I do need to ask for peace of mind.

The reason I am asking is because I have enough material coming in from diygearsupply to make a integrated net hammock including a zipper on one side like the Blackbird, and I am debating on whether to go with this method or the medicineman style stretch-entry net. If I can't find any answers, I will be forced to go with the stretch side, but prefer a more spider-proof method being in Guam. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

I do have about a week or so till my supplies come in, so I have a little time till my DIY bug sucks the life out of me.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Making a zipper? Experience needed.

Instead of starters & stoppers, I just sew a bar tack at each end of the zipper.
    To get the slider on the zipper, separate the zipper a few inches, insert each side into the slider, then force the zipper through the slider.
    Here is a trick: before doing that, sew a 12"-18" long strip of fabric onto each side of the zipper such that the fabric strip makes a "U" shape with each end sewn to the zipper. Then hook the fabric onto a doorknob or any fixed object. Finally, force the slider onto the zipper.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I thank you for your reply mad. I am guessing you sewed your zipper on after doing that?
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &amp;/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    also, make sure your zipper pull is oriented the right way around for the zipper. you'll see that one side of the pull is flat.. this is usually the side that is closest to your body if it were a jacket zipper.

if you start feeding the zipper through the pull, and it doesn't feel like it's cooperating, you probably have it on the wrong way around.

I saw some fairly good tutorials on YouTube, but can't seem to find them right now... sorry.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I've made two hammocks with integrated bugnets. The first one I followed Lost_Biker's tutorial. The second time, I followed XTrekker's tutorial found on YouTube. I like XTrekker's method because of the triangles at the ends (they don't restrict how wide the hammock opens), and it uses fewer sliders (I used 2 sliders with this method and 5 with the other).

Here is a short video showing how to put the sliders on the zipper tape:

I also found that The Zipper Lady had the best deal on black #5 zipper -- a 25 yard roll for $16.00. I had to order the double sliders somewhere else, either DIYgearsupply.com or simplylightdesigns.com.

I simply sewed the ends to close them up -- no need for starters or stoppers.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Mudburn that was extremely informative. She made it look so easy. Thank you, I don't know why I didn't think of YouTube.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    It's just mostly practice. The first zipper pull took me forever, the second one went a whole lot quicker. By the time I was on my 4th one it was old-hat.

Like e_2 said, make sure you've got the pull oriented correctly. You can either bar tack or, if it's easier for you, simply hand sew a stopper by putting a simple overstitch across both sides of the zipper. Depending on the thread and your own paranoia, 7 or 8 repeats in the same spot will do the trick.

I hand sewed all of mine because I was working at the dining room table to put the pulls on and it was easier than moving it all to the sewing machine.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I hand sewed all of mine because I was working at the dining room table to put the pulls on and it was easier than moving it all to the sewing machine.
    +1
    I need a machine with a fairly wide zig-zag and the right presser foot to bar-tack across a zipper. And, even a nylon coil zipper can deflect the needle enough to hit the throat plate and break.
    "What's that noise with my sewing machine?" ... another reason I have my own!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Thanks for all the input guys. I should be able to do this project fairly easy with your assistance. Now where is my order?....lol thanks again for the input...

• + New Posts