Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    I was going to start a separate thread to announce this and get some feedback, but I'll go ahead on here. I'm actually in the process of trying to solve this problem at least in terms of material offerings. I've heard from too many Canadians to sit back any longer! Basically I have family in Toronto and what I'm trying to do is setup a Canadian fulfillment center there. You will be able to order everything like normal from the site, but it would all ship out of Toronto instead of the US. This way you avoid excessive shipping costs and eliminate the variable of not knowing whether you'll have to pay duties on items coming from the US.

I'm aiming to have everything ready to go ASAP, but there are still some logistical things left to work out. Any feedback or suggestions on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated. For starters, I've yet to nail down the shipment method completely. Would Canada Post work fine or is there something else I should look at using?
    That is a fantastic idea. It is almost impossible to find the quality lightweight ripstop fabrics and silnylon here in Canada. The one place that does sell fabric in Canada is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have most of the fabrics that we use.

Old Boot has the right idea with using Canada Post for shipping. It's cheaper than using a courier for sure.

You will just have to work out the logistics of how your are going to get the materials to your family in Toronto.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Thanks everyone! i've updated the post, keep them coming! I also found an older thread here on HF that mentioned West Marine as a good source for Amsteel Blue!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDan View Post
    Thanks everyone! i've updated the post, keep them coming! I also found an older thread here on HF that mentioned West Marine as a good source for Amsteel Blue!

You may want to add in a google docs sheet before your post gets locked from edits. I'll host if you want:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    or
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

On the other hand, people will stop posting, so unless it gets stickied, it will be lost in the heap due to bump-neglect.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    The admins pm'ed me to say that I can update it with their help so that won't be nessisary!

Some people brought up a good point that some US vendors have more than reasonable shipping rates to Canada. So if you know of one of these places, I can include them in their own section of the thread.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    The admins pm'ed me to say that I can update it with their help so that won't be nessisary!

Some people brought up a good point that some US vendors have more than reasonable shipping rates to Canada. So if you know of one of these places, I can include them in their own section of the thread.
    DIYGearSupply charges only what it costs to ship.

If you're ordering from outside the US, you put everything in your cart, then instead of doing the auto ship portion of the website, you cut/paste your order into an email to Scott.

He'll get back to you with the actual shipping charges, you finalize your order by email and paypal and voila, you're done.

The auto shipping has some whacky figures in it that Scott has never been able to find a work around for so he takes control of it personally.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The place for Amsteel Blue in Canada is http://www.redden-rope.com/. Last I checked (a while ago), 7/64 was $0.17 per foot.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Congrats....looks like you got Sticky status.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    DIYGearSupply charges only what it costs to ship.

If you're ordering from outside the US, you put everything in your cart, then instead of doing the auto ship portion of the website, you cut/paste your order into an email to Scott.

He'll get back to you with the actual shipping charges, you finalize your order by email and paypal and voila, you're done.

The auto shipping has some whacky figures in it that Scott has never been able to find a work around for so he takes control of it personally.
    It would be good to have an estimation of that - I avoided DIY gear supply in the past because of the "whacky figures"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    It would be good to have an estimation of that - I avoided DIY gear supply in the past because of the "whacky figures"
    It's right there on the web site on how not to place an international order.

If you had of gone ahead, Scott would have refunded the excess.

In any case, for example, my first order with Scott was $360. was everything I could get from him for my bridge hammock with net, 12' tarp, quilts, backpack, thread, hooks, zippers, d rings etc, etc. As you can imagine it was a pretty big order. Shipping was $48.00. GST would have been $46.80...Call it even.

My little order last Sept. was $43.00 with shipping of $10.55. GST, had I had to pay it would have been $5.60.

Since I can't even begin to match his prices here in Canada, I figure I'm way, way ahead.

Great job putting this together. I just submitted an order to Dutch for supplies like polyester straps, amsteel and lash-it after looking around in Canada and realizing that I'd probably need to make three separate orders for stuff like that.

And don't even get me started on how expensive taffeta tablecloths are up here!

Thanks again CanadaDan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast