Compact Tarp (when packed)

Hey guys,

I'm 5'7" around 170 lbs and new to hammocking.

My current hammock is a Skeeter Beater Pro with straps but I don't have a tarp. I like that it has a bug net, but it's pretty large stowed, and with summer coming I wanted something small enough I could carry in a daypack, so I just purchased a GT Nano 7 which I plan on using straps or trying my hand at whoopie slings, and then adding a bug net of some sort and tarp.

So now I'm looking at tarps. I'm not so concerned about weight, I'm not an ultralight hiker, but I am less likely to carry it if it's bulky so I'm looking for a tarp that provides adequate protection from unexpected downpour in the spring/summer, but when packed up takes up as little room as possible. I realize this means sacrificing some coverage for my gear, but in some cases I might just be taking a versapack sized bag so there won't be too much to cover.

I'm not a huge fan of spending a lot on a tarp but I get the feeling that silnylon or similar is the way to go for compactness (and less expensive than SpinnUL etc), so I can buy once / cry once. I was looking at the Warbonnet Edge, but the Maccat Standard looks a little more compact (plus I'm kinda digging that grey color!), and the design allows for more coverage than a square tarp in diamond config and less material than a rectangular tarp.

Are there other options I should consider for something that packs down small but provides decent protection? Out of curiosity, would the two tarps named also be long enough to work on my Skeeter Beater Pro as well?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    First of all welcome to the forums!

Secondly, for price, size, and weight, silny is your best bet. As far as where to get it from, that's a little more complicated. OES makes great gear but they have bad customer service from what I've read. The Warbonnet edge will be a good tarp and they have awesome customer service.

The biggest decision on a tarp should be environment in which it will be used. Being in Tennessee your winters get cold enough to warrant a winter tarp, but the summers are hot enough to want to stay indoors. If you are a warm weather camper a tarp like the edge will serve you well, even if winter camping, but more caution in relation to the wind will be needed in setting up to be comfortable in cold. If you bought a larger tarp like the mama jamba with a door kit, you could illeviate needing two tarps if you camp in hot and cold.

There are a lot of variables with camping with a hammock and if you haven't already look up shug on YouTube and look for his hammock hanging how to for noobs videos, and it'll help get you started. Good luck with all your hangs and see you around the forums.

PS. If you would like less public advice, pm me and I'll be glad to assist in any way I can. Take care!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you have or know anybody with DIY skills, an argon sil tarp from Dutch ware would fit the bill. I can't believe how small mine packs up. Its light too. A little over 11oz with stuff sack, ridgeline, and guy out lines. Otherwise peruse the vendor section. Lots of tarp options there. Whatever you get in weight/packing size savings, you generally go up in price and down in coverage.
    My head is an animal

Thanks for the replies,

I'm probably only going to be using this only for warm weather. Shug's videos were part of the reason I decided to try hammocking

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wilderness Logics Tadpole. The 11' ridge line model easily packs down to 4 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 7" in the stuff sack it comes in. Suspect it would be easy to go smaller if you folded and rolled it. Click on my gallery pic if you want to see what it covers like.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    +1 on a Tadpole !

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Here's another one for ya!

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=149

BTW, Spinn tarps are all but almost impossible to get a hold of nowadays, so if you ever decide to sell this one, it should sell quickly and for a good rate.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Thanks for the replies guys! Pulled the trigger on a Maccat Standard, but I get the feeling this won't be my only tarp a guy could go broke with all these possibilities

• + New Posts