Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

OR>MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT--4TH. Annual Oregon Summer Hang Location And Charity!

OK...Before I start with all the info and specifics, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage EVERYONE to PLEASE READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE POST, as there is a ton of VERY important information! This years hang is truly going to be a "life changing" experience for everyone who chooses to attend I have put a lot of time, effort and thought into this years hang and especially this years charity, so I truly hope you all enjoy yourselves. Well, without any further ado, Rip Waverly and I are please to invite you to join us this year, as we take you....

back to the future q.jpg

bttf 2.gif

roads.png

WHERE?

We are going "BACK TO THE FUTURE" and holding this years hang at our original, first ever summer hang location...Drift Creek Wilderness, just east (inland) from Waldport, Oregon, along the Oregon Coast.

Siuslaw National Forest link:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/siusl...a/?recid=42399

Wilderness.net link:

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=164

Map of the Harris Ranch trail (Drift Creek Wilderness) that we will be taking in:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...om=auto,0,1224

Video from our first Oregon Summer hang at Drift Creek:

WHEN?

August 22, 23 and 24 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

WHO?

Everyone is invited, but this is not a hike for people with serious medical issues, the elderly or the very young. It is not an easy car camp location. This hike is a real backpacking trip into a real wilderness area. The hike in and out is not easy, and requires some level of physical fitness. That said, I am not in the best of shape and just had arthroscopic knee surgery last November, and last weekend it took me 1.5 hours to hike in, and 3 hours to hike out of the hang location. It is a wilderness canyon, with a 2000 foot descent. I just went slowly and used my trekking poles and I was fine. Four years and 30 pounds ago, I could make the hike in 45 mins. (downhill), and 1.5 hours coming out (uphill). So if you are in very good shape (as I was), it will be no problem for you.

WHAT ABOUT A CHARITY AND THIS YEARS RAFFLE?

I am already hard at work on it. Same as last year, I am not announcing what the prizes are until the raffle starts on Saturday afternoon, only the companies donating. I can say that, as of right now, we have 3 companies committed to donating prizes.... and they are GOOD ONES! Oh, yeah...this years charity is....

THE WHITE WOLF SANCTUARY, IN TIDEWATER, OREGON!

Lois, the sanctuary's owner:
    WWS LOIS.jpg

My last trip (Tomahawk really took a shine to me! She's my gal!):

wolf 1.jpg

wolf 2.jpg

Link to the WWS:
    http://www.whitewolfsanctuary.com/index.php

Video of the wolves at the sanctuary (includes pups!);

There will be a PRIVATE tour of the sanctuary, along with a presentation by the owner, Lois Tulleners, on Friday at 2pm PROMPT. If you are not there at 2pm, you will be left in the parking lot! We will meet at the old gas station, next to the fire station in Tidewater, Oregon, and be guided to the sanctuary by Lois or a volunteer. The location of the sanctuary is a closely guarded secret, as the sanctuary and wolves have received death threats in the past. Please read below for more info on the tour. I have been on the tour 4 times, and it really is a "life changing" experience, especially if you catch the pack when they start howling There is also a gift shop there, so extra cash might be needed
    One other note on dogs: they are NOT ALLOWED at the White Wolf Sanctuary! Period. If you plan on going on the tour of our charity on Friday, before the hang, please make other arrangements for them. I am working with Lois, the owner of the sanctuary, to see if one of her volunteers could baby sit them, but don't plan on it.

OK, BIGFOOT, WE KNOW THE CHARITY FOR THIS YEAR, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RAFFLE?

This year, we are NOT charging for raffle tickets, as in past years. What we are doing is taking a PERSONALLY guided tour of the White Wolf Sanctuary and watching a unique presentation by the owner, Lois Tulleners! That's your entrance fee for the raffle ticket! It took a bit of work to convince her to take on a group of our size, but I did it We were able to secure a deal for the tour of $30.00 per person (children 15 years old and younger are $15.00), IF we can confirm by August 1st that we have a group of 20 or more. The normal price for a tour is $50.00/adults, $15.00/children (and normally limited to less than 20 people). If we do not get a confirmed 20 people, the tour will be the usual price of $50.00 per person/$15.00 for children. This REDUCED price INCLUDES the raffle ticket, and allows the money to instantly go to our charity! Think about how good a deal this is...in the past raffles, the ticket prices were $20.00 each with no two hour charity tour. This year, you get a personal 3 hour PRIVATE tour of the White Wolf Sanctuary AND for only $10.00 more than last year, are also entered in the hang's raffle! Also, just remember, in years past, almost everyone walked away from the raffle with at least $15.00 worth of gear (no guarantees, though). You can also donate MORE than the raffle cost, and it will be greatly appreciated (wolves are EXPENSIVE--$2000.00 a month expensive, to be exact!). To reserve your spot on the tour and to be automatically entered in this years raffle, send your $30.00 donation to me, via Paypal at:

[email protected]

Include all Paypal fees when you do this, please. I MUST receive a PM, also, so do this after you send the donations so I can confirm with you it was received! I will keep a head count of who has donated and will have a raffle ticket waiting for you when we meet to take the tour.

The raffle will be held on Saturday, 8/23/14, at 4 pm. You will need to be present, WITH your raffle ticket, to participate.

WHEN/WHERE IS THE SANCTUARY TOUR?

The tour of the White Wolf Sanctuary will start PROMPTLY at 2pm, on Friday, 8/22/14 (the wolves like to sleep late in summer, ). Typical tours last 3 hours. We will meet at the old gas station, next to the fire station (off East Alsea Hwy.) in Tidewater, Oregon, and be guided to the sanctuary by Lois or a volunteer. The location of the sanctuary is a closely guarded secret, as the sanctuary and wolves have received death threats in the past. Please respect their privacy!

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE OUR VISIT!

- Avoid wearing heavy cologne/perfume, wolves have more sensitive noses than we do.

- Pets are not allowed on the sanctuary grounds. If you have a pet with you, please be sure to make prior arrangements for them before visiting. The Alsea River Boarding Kennels (541.528.7785) may be able to provide accommodations for your pet.

- The sanctuary does not have signs, is not recognized on Google or GPS and is behind several locked gates

HEY, BIGFOOT...WHAT IF I CAN'T MAKE THE TOUR, BUT STILL WANT TO BE A PART OF YOUR AWESOMELY COOL RAFFLE?

Yeah, no problem. Just follow the donation guidelines listed above and I will give you the raffle ticket when you get to the hang location. If for some reason you can't make the sanctuary tour and also can't send the donation in advance, I will accept the donation on the day of the raffle and give you a ticket then. BUT...I would strongly encourage everyone to donate BEFORE HAND so, even if you cannot make the tour, the other people going can still get the reduced rate (only if we get 20 or more, remember?).

Hey, Bigfoot...can I bring my booze with me?

Sure, if you drink responsibly and do not make a fool of yourself. All state and federal liquor rules apply. Drive responsibly and remember...this is a FAMILY EVENT.

USED GEAR SALE

What, you say? We've never done this before? Yeah, I know, but I thought it would be neat if we could all bring our used gear and have a flea market sale in the parking lot, after the hang. Just set up and start selling/trading your used gear Easy-peasy-lemmon-squeezie! Obviously, this will be whatever time we all decide to leave on Sunday. There will be plenty of time to talk about your gear for sale/trade during the hang, so people can make plans to leave at the same time and meet or whatever.

What ABOUT THE FISHING AT DRIFT CREEK? IS IT ANY GOOD?

Oh, yeah! It's pretty darned good. I, myself, will be Tenkara fishing on this trip

DO YOU NEED ANY HELP, BIGFOOT?

I sure could use someone to carry the massive amount of raffle prizes to the hang spot. I'm not as young as I used to be. Also, if anyone has any ideas about pet-sitting or wants to volunteer to watch some dogs while we tour the sanctuary, we could arrange a special gift for them as a thank you. Please contact me via PM if you'd like to volunteer to help carry the raffle prizes or pet sit.

BOY, BIGFOOT, YOU SURE DID AN AWESOME JOB ORGANIZING THIS YEARS HANG! I'D SURE LIKE SOMETHING TO COMMEMORATE IT...LIKE A T-SHIRT, OR SOMETHING.

I'm glad you all brought that up! Rip Waverly will be in charge of the t-shirts for this years hang. He will be taking orders (quantity/sizes, etc), soon, and will be posting about it in this thread. Stay tuned.

So.....who's all coming to this little swaray? Remember, I need a confirmed payment if you are coming to the Sanctuary tour, and I need it by August first (preferably BEFORE THEN!).

BF
    Last edited by bigfoot2; 04-12-2014 at 22:06.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't...until payment is confirmed

BF

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    i don't think i can go on the santcuary visit as i have to bring my dog, so is the raffle money due beforehand as well?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    what i mean is, if i cant go to the sanctuary, can i just get some raffle tickets at the hang?

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    what i mean is, if i cant go to the sanctuary, can i just get some raffle tickets at the hang?
    Please re-read the original post for the answer to your questions. I don't feel like like typing it all over again. LOL. Also, it's one ticket per person for the raffle.

BF
    Last edited by bigfoot2; 04-12-2014 at 16:57.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Here's the first set of pictures from my trip to Drift Creek last weekend to get everyone excited

The old Jeep road just after the parking lot that leads you to the trailhead proper:
    DSCF5081.jpg

DSCF5084.jpg

Entering the wilderness for real:
    DSCF5086.jpg

DSCF5087.jpg

The hike down the canyon to the campsite and Drift Creek:
    DSCF5088.jpg

DSCF5091.jpg

DSCF5094.jpg

DSCF5095.jpg

DSCF5096.jpg

The campsite where we will all be hanging this year:
    DSCF5097.jpg

DSCF5098.jpg

DSCF5099.jpg

DSCF5100.jpg

DSCF5101.jpg

DSCF5102.jpg

BF

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    More pictures of our hang location

DSCF5103.jpg

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5108.jpg

DSCF5109.jpg

DSCF5110.jpg

DSCF5111.jpg

DSCF5144.jpg

DSCF5145.jpg

DSCF5146.jpg

DSCF5149.jpg

Please pay attention to these next three pictures! There are black bears in the area and proper food storage IS A MUST! These pics show where a bear sharpened it's claws on a tree VERY NEAR camp (within a quarter mile):

DSCF5150.jpg

DSCF5151.jpg

DSCF5152.jpg

Back to the hang site at Drift Creek:

DSCF5160.jpg

DSCF5162.jpg

BF

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Spring in the Drift Creek Wilderness means everything in the woods is a bit "frisky" :

DSCF5165.jpg

DSCF5168.jpg

DSCF5170.jpg

DSCF5171.jpg

Elk bones from an old kill:

DSCF5178.jpg

DSCF5183.jpg

DSCF5185.jpg

DSCF5186.jpg

DSCF5187.jpg

DSCF5188.jpg

DSCF5193.jpg

I did a little fishing when I was there :

DSCF5194.jpg

Please excuse the purple tarp. I'm having a new Argon Silnylon one made for me in cammo and had to use the wife's on this trip:

DSCF5205.jpg

DSCF5210.jpg

DSCF5211.jpg

BF

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    OK, last set of pics:

DSCF5203.jpg

DSCF5204.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

DSCF5207.jpg

DSCF5208.jpg

DSCF5209.jpg

DSCF5212.jpg

DSCF5143.jpg

DSCF5140.jpg

I just had to take a pic of my patch on my backpack from our first ever summer hang here (thanks, CreativeKayte!) :

DSCF5138.jpg

BF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast