DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

Gortex 1 1/4" webbing for suspension?

Sorry, I don't know if I am posting in the correct area or not. Maybe this should be under the suspension thread.

Anyway.....I am new to this idea of having some hammocks in the back yard. I want to make them and plan on using the crinkle tablecloths. I then need to figure out the webbing to hang them with. I have access to some Gortex 1 1/4" webbing that is used in the aviation field. I would think this would be more then sufficient, but the label on the webbing didn't really give any details. How do I know if this will be sufficient and not have too much stretch?

I'll try and post a photo. Not exactly my choice of color, but the price is right.
    2014-04-09 11.19.33.jpg

So, how can I find out?

THANKS!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    What does the label have on it? Manufacturer, product name, etc.

Google is giving me nothing on gore tex webbing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've seen nomex and kevlar webbing listed on some aviation supply sites but like gmcttr said, no gore tex.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    I tried doing my own research too and googled around looking for info, but didin't come up with anything.

That is about all that the label says except it lists the color. No company name or description of the material. There is a bunch of numbers like maybe batch or manufacturer numbers. It is not sold to the public. It is what they use for making hot air balloons. In the industry it is called "load tape". I would think that there would be little to no stretch and it would have a high weight limit to it considering what it is designed for, but I wanted to see if anyone was familiar with it and had used it successfully or not.

I would love to use it to wrap around the tree and use it for the suspension lines. (still have to research and see how this all ties together).

May have to make a phone call to some local experts and see what info they can offer.

THANKS!!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I do believe I found it!!

Once QIM mentioned it was called load tape and used for hot air balloons it was a fairly fast search for materials listings for DIY and then a couple of steps to find that it's most likely this stuff:

http://store.jontay.com/mil-t-5038_t...wholesale.aspx

If I'm right on it, it's nylon and it's meant to have some stretch to it. It's used for essentially taping the seams on a hot air balloon. It's got weight strength rating to it because the bottom end of each seam is used to attach to the parts that connect the basket to the hot air balloon.

That said, it probably isn't what you want for suspension because it's nylon so it's got some stretch to it and it's not as good a load rating as other products that we normally use for suspension systems for hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    ...May have to make a phone call to some local experts and see what info they can offer.
    Let us know what you find out...I'm curious.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Let us know what you find out...I'm curious.

Drum roll please.................. it is polypropylene webbing. Haven't had time to research it yet, but that is the answer we got. Hopefully it will be able to handle the load.

It is something that was given to our friends (they used to make hot air balloons) and they didn't know enough about it to be able to use it up in the balloons. They just didn't know if it would hold to their standards. They used it for things other then the construction of the balloons. Hubby got a nice large chunk of it.

Depending on research, I might be able to use this.

THANKS for the help!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    That makes a lot more sense. Polypropylene has a lower tensile strength than the polyester webbing we mostly use given the same specs otherwise. However it is low stretch which is good. Whether it is suitable is dependent on it's thickness and weave.

Here is a link to Strapworks where you can compare webbing types for a general idea of the strength differences...http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_St...brics_s/20.htm

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Polypropylene does not tend to hold up well to UV. I use a fair amount of poly rope at work. After a summer or two you can usually just twist it off with your hands. Granted, your stuff my have some additive or treatment to prevent this, but I'd be very wary of using it to support myself off the ground.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Here is a link to Strapworks where you can compare webbing types for a general idea of the strength differences...http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_St...brics_s/20.htm
    I'm amazed to see their description for Poly as having "excellent UV resistance". My experience has been quite the opposite.
    Last edited by dingbat; 04-11-2014 at 13:16.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    So our 5 tablecloths arrived Saturday afternoon and I got to sewing them right away. Of course we dont have webbing or any hardware here so we decided to temporarily use the blue webbing we had on hand. The kids couldnt wait but DH tried it first for safety precautions. Boy did that stuff STRETCH. Not unsafe and it seems to have reached a certain point and is no longer stretching.

It got us hanging right away.but it is not for long term use.

Thanks for the help you all offered.

• + New Posts