Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Zippers and Cuben

So for those of you that have played with cuben fiber more than I:

What's the best method for attaching a zipper to cuben?

I've seen it suggested that you sew the zipper on to a strip of cuben, then bond that strip to the main piece of gear. But I would think, from other sewing applications, that the zipper would be better sandwiched between layers - and I doubt either cuben or the adhesive tape would stick well to the zipper fabric. And taping first doesn't seem to make sense to me - then you'd have to sew through the adhesive, and that would make a mess of your needle.

Any tips? Bonus points for pics or diagrams.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I make my own cuben tape with adhesive transfer tape (stickum only, paper backing on both sides) applied to cuben fiber with Primer 94, but the following technique would also work with commercially available cuben tapes. First, sew the zipper to the cuben fabric edge, then apply 1/2" wide cuben tape to the seam on the side opposite the zipper, so it bonds to the cuben fabric, covering the stitches. This strengthens and seals the stitching, but more importantly greatly strengthens the edge of the cuben that the zipper is sewn to.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, WV.

Though I'm curious - how does taping the back side of the stitches strengthen anything? I can understand that it would seal the stitching, restoring the waterproof properties - but how does it add strength? And wouldn't it be better to somehow sew through more than one layer of cuben first, and THEN seal it off after that?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You can buy velcro strips from zpacks that adhere to cf, if you'll accept substitutions.

What are you making?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The zipper tape and the thread are plenty strong enough by themselves, but the dyneema strands in the cuben laminate aren't woven, so they don't lock each other in place, and the thin polyester layers on both sides don't contribute a whole lot of strength, so the dyneema fibers have more potential to slide around a bit, especially near the edge. They're very strong in tension, though. Adding a 1/2" wide strip of cuben tape along the edge makes it much stronger, and perhaps compensates for any possible weakening caused by the needle holes. I'm assuming that the cuben tape is actually cuben fiber with an adhesive added - that is, there are twice as many dyneema strands in the reinforced edge. That's my SWAG assessment.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Are you sure you want to sew? From what I hear, people prefer HG tarps over zpacks since HG doesn't sew the cf.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Are you sure you want to sew? From what I hear, people prefer HG tarps over zpacks since HG doesn't sew the cf.
    Not specifically looking to make any particular project, at least at the moment. More just looking to expand my knowledge of working with cuben.

I've made some no sew stuff sacks, but I haven't tried sewing cuben yet. Nor have I seen any real info anywhere talking about attaching other non-cuben materials to cuben. Figured there has to be folks who've actually tried some of this stuff that can offer insight.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My what a secretive Girly Man you are! What kinky projects are you working on with cuben fiber and zippers?

Never mind, this is a family-friendly forum!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My what a secretive Girly Man you are! What kinky projects are you working on with cuben fiber and zippers?

Never mind, this is a family-friendly forum!
    Hah!

Well, I've got some ideas for zipper pouches, roll/dry bags for storing my quilts, rain gear … 'bout the only thing I have no desire to consider making is a tarp. Don't have the time, space, or gumption for that.

To be honest, I'm trying to judge cost versus effort when it comes to cuben. Stuff sacks are a no brainer - construction is reasonably simple once you get a few basic concepts down, and the savings can be pretty substantial. Once you start dealing with sewing and combining multiple materials, that's where I get hazy on whether it's worth it.

• + New Posts