Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-stealth/ Paired with a 20 degree 3/4 length HG Clone UQ, I can easily make it into the teens, with Lt wt Base Layers, socks and Fleece hood.

The UQ works so well for me, I'd be able to go warmer on the TQ w/o having to upgrade the UQ.

I'm a warm sleeper. Current kit gets me as low as I'm usually willing to go.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    I think this is a good question! Seems like in a mobile mummy you could walk up to the hammock in "legs out" mode sit down in your hammock, swivel and zip up the legs. How did the mobile mummy work out? BTW... I think its OK to be lightweight as opposed to ultralight or uberlight in this forum. Plenty of hammockers are hiking with 17-20 pound base weights. ANYTHING to get away from the 50-60 pound packs of yesteryear!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I use the Mobil Mummy 1.5 SYN.

I got it for $130.

I wear my down pants, and down jacket, warm socks, when sleeping in it. I have a HH Hyperlite, and SS.

I will continue to use the MM even into the coldest weather of the winter because I can add more down clothes thus adding very slight pack volume, thus being able to get up at night with NO mobility issues.

The 1.5 MM SYN weighs exactly 2 lb. and is VERY compact, much more compact than my other quilts, down included. (w/ down pants & jacket or vest less than 3 lb. Temp. 30 deg. )
    It is easy to get into and out of the classic HH with the bottom entry.
    PROS:
    1.There is no draft. (yes, I have actually used it)
    2. The arm openings are so perfect for doing anything that needs to be done.
    3. The zipper is of very high quality, it won't ever jamb. Materials are quality also.
    4. The MM stays put,....... get it over your head, arms out, zip it up, and it's good all night.
    5. Comfortable amount of room inside with it zipped up
    6. Since it is synthetic, it can be easily washed.

I have used synthetic insulation for some time, and, hang items uncompressed when not packing with them, and see no loss of loft. The MM is not Primaloft, just listed as polyester, but I'm sure with proper care it will not loose loft.

If I had known the 1.5 MM packed down so small, I would have bought the next MM up, the 2.5. The synthetic ones really do compress very well, better than my 2 lb. down TQ
    The other down insulated MM's are granted expensive, and probably pack larger.

I have several inexpensive down vests, and jackets, and pants. They do very well for sleeping depending of temperature, which in the winter can range from freezing to down to zero, and lower. This layering is inexpensive, low volume and weight, and has,....... and will serve my needs in the future quite well. Northern White mountain nights are all ways cool to cold, even in the summer.

My use is only for sleeping, can't imagine using it for just roaming around the camp site, but that's possible. As with any synthetic fabric, fire embers might damage it.

(did I mention how compact it is?)
    Last edited by psyculman; 08-10-2015 at 04:18.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Just this spring I converted over from my Nemo Nocturne 15° sleeping bag to a 40° top quilt. So far, I absolutely love the TQ -- so much so that I went ahead and picked up a 0° TQ w/ 2 oz overstuff for my winter camping. I LOVE the weight savings, but I must admit that I am a tad nervous about the "drafting" that the OP mentioned. I turn and twist a lot during the night, and could easily see that this might be a problem. It's not really a big deal when it's 40 or above, but when it's 0° out -- that draft will be down right irritating.

I LOVED the way my old sleeping bag enclosed me (but understand that some people don't like that). I could see easily how the MM would have the same affect. I'm hoping that with a bit of shock cord on my winter TQ I can avoid this issue. But I can completely understand the OP's concerns. Some of us are wiggle-worms, and keeping the edges of the TQ tucked in might be a bit challenging.

And while 1lb might be a tad tough to swallow for the gram counters, it's all about comfort level and what each camper individually deems as "worth it". A good night's sleep in cold temps may be totally worth it to some to carry that extra pound. Heck, I'm sure that some people carry 1lb of alcohol (Liquid Warmth) that others might find ridiculous to carry.

Lastly, I know I'm coming to the conversation late, but I don't think SS was trying to be rude...just seemed like it was a question you'd ask a friend, like: "What the heck are you thinking? Please explain this thing to me because I really don't understand." While I haven't been on these forums long, it seems like we're all just "hangin' buddies" yakin' online instead of in person. But again, just my perception.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been using the MM for a while now and it is awesome. Ended up buying my girlfriend one too. It basically boils down to a couple key features:

- No drafts when rolling around
    - center zip is a breeze to get into, get out of, and vent during the night
    - arms holes are sweet, especially for doing things like reading on cold nights
    - the walk around mode is a bit gimmicky but it is great for taking a midnight pee without losing all of your accumulated warmth

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    I can't say anything about the Mobile Mummy, but as far as Sierra Designs quality, I carried one of their Cloud Series bags with me to two major climbs: the New Zealand Everest expedition in 1977 (topped out on the South Col, eying Lhotse, and we decided not to try), and our own bid on Denali in `78. Their bag performed superbly down to -40 degrees, and yes, it got that cold on Denali!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you kept rolling out of a TQ, you might have just needed a wider TQ. there are plenty of similarly temperature rated TQ options out there that cost less and weigh less as well.

I have a No Sniveller and an Old Rag Mtn from JRB. I rarely use the head hole and wear the NS as another form of insulation unless in dire straights. Using your top insulation for campwear tends to invite more dirt and such back into your sleep system which compromises your sleep system when you need it. The last thing you need is to take a nature break wearing your insulation and track mud, snow or whatever back in with you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234