How long should my whoopies be??

Getting ready to order materials for my first hammock....

I plan to use 6', maybe 8' long tree straps, and have all of the adjustment for the hammock in the whoopie slings. (other than what could be allowed by an extra wrap with the tree straps...)
    6' seems to be the standard length for whoopies, but with out hardware to adjust the length of the tree straps, are 6' whoopies enough to allow for adjustment? How long should I go? or should I be adding adjustability to the tree straps, and stick with the 6'?? I've yet to hang in a hammock, so I have no idea. Not sure if 6' whoopies will allow enough adjustment.

Also I am assuming that 6' is the maximum usable length of the finished product, does not measure the lengths that are used for the bury etc... That would seem like the logical way to measure to me... Correct?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Algonquin_bound; 04-07-2014 at 19:24.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I made 8' ones and usually have them adjusted in at 3 to 4'. This leaves a lot of line on the ground that I trip over. 6' is good and I have 6' straps that I toggle close to the tree.
    6' whoopies and 6' straps are standard. If you have big diameter trees then long straps are responsible. Only one time did I have to use the whole 8' for a long stretch between trees and had to use my poles to get the straps high enough for the correct angle to hang.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wouldn't go past 8 feet. I have 12 foot ones and 7 foot tree straps and I will never be able to get them high enough on a tree to use them. i would have to be around 8 feet tall to do so. I need to cut them down but just haven't yet.

with a 10 foot hammock 8 feet whoopies and 6 foot straps on a two telephone sized trees you would be able to span 22-24 feet.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Actually you do have adjustable tree straps. Just use the marlinspike hitch and connect the whoopies to that.
    My whoopies are six-foot
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks....

That all makes sense..... Was trying to make things as simple as possible, and was trying to eliminate the need for a marlin spike hitch, or some type of hardware for adjustment. Just attach whoopies to the end of the tree straps. Doesn't sound like that really makes sense though. I will have to incorporate something else. Not a big deal...if its a simple knot, or buckle. Thinking a marlin spike is likely how I go....

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    A MSH should be the best option when using 6' straps, assuming your not talking about West Coast giant trees. Using a Whoopie attached only to the end of the strap removes the reason for both straps and whoopies. Also, it limits the distance between the trees to farther apart since you would use all the strap and very little sling (on average).

If using just 1 adjustable item, you could remove the whoopie and use a buckle attached to the hammock end, then use just the strap to adjust, sliding on the buckle. But, you would then need a longer strap.

Welcome to the forums and good luck on your hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Be sure you have extra length, for large trees or greater than expected distances. have it somewhere in your kit, whether in an an extra strap, one whoopie longer than the other or an extra-long strap. Or an extra length of Amsteel with eyes spliced in both ends.

Because, sometime you are going to want to hang between the rails on either side of a steel bridge over a stream, and those rails may be 22 feet apart.

• + New Posts