Hi! Best regular sleeping hammock + maybe-camping hammock?

Hellow hammock people! Between a feud with bedbugs last year and a desire to cut down on the amount of stuff cluttering up my space, I aspire to string up a hammock from the walls in my new apartment living room to sleep in at night. I'm hoping to do it in such a way so that I can store the hammock on one wall during the day when not in use, which would mean I could turn the bedroom over into a cat-free project space without having to then turn my living room into my bedroom. This brings me to my main conundrum: which hammock?

Background info: I'm mid-20s, roughly 5'4", 185lbs, pretty solid build. I've been floor-sleeping on the carpet at my old apartment since August, so no worries about transitioning from a traditional bed. I have one cat, about 2.5 years old, active, intelligent, and mischievous, who occasionally likes to curl up with one paw just touching me and pretend that he's not cuddling because he's too cool for that. Teenagers. The living room is I think maybe 11" long in the area where I want to hang it, but currently I'm planning on running it at a shallow diagonal from the frame above one window to the internal wall that separates the living room from the kitchen (assuming of course that the kitchen wall has studs).

I know the general advice is to pick up a nice wide Brazilian hammock, but being that I'm relatively short of funds, it would seem to make sense to pick up a hammock for nightly sleeping that I could also take camping with me if I wanted to. Also, REI is having their spring member 20%-off-one-item coupon deal, plus I have a decent amount of member dividends saved up, which would mean that I could pick up a pretty good hammock for somewhere from "not much at all" to "free" (which is mighty tempting).

I've seen people on here who tried to sleep regularly indoors on an Eno Doublenest and said it was too noisy and cold, and that it was slippery, which made it hard to maintain the 30-degree sleeping angle necessary to sleep flat. Is this a common experience? I'm aware that there are fairly simple cheap DIY options for sleeping hammocks, but I shy away from those because I've learned the hard way that adding any extra steps to a process like this just makes it increasingly unlikely that I'll ever actually end up doing it.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'd say DIY tablecloth hammock. Comfy, cheap, and portable.

I estimate the cost for suspension & hammock is probably $25.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    Forget the wide Brazilian...I'd go with a DIY Tablecloth hammock (Super easy (and cheap) for those (like me) lacking in sewing skills). In a pinch, you could even use a good quality Queen-sized sheet.

I have a similar set-up in my own living room (which is also my 'bedroom'- since the bedroom has slowly morphed into the 'library'.). Until recently, I slept on a futon (In 'couch mode')... but I finally got tired [lazy] of having to fold up bedding every day (or at least when company came over). I decided to start sleeping in a hammock, which I was able to suspend from O-bolts (?) above two window frames... this makes it very easy (when company comes over) to disconnect the hammock and "stash" it behind the closed floor-length curtains!

I haven't found sleeping in an ENO (which is what I'm using inside at the moment) to be problematic... slippery and noisy..somewhat, but not a problem for me. Cold...yup.. a bit. But hopefully, with warmer weather coming that will be a plus.
    I'm in the process of making one of the Tablecloth hammocks to use inside which should be less slippery, less noisy and maybe a bit warmer.
    Good luck with your search.... and give your cat a high five for me... sounds like one cool dude.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    Forget the wide Brazilian...I'd go with a DIY Tablecloth hammock (Super easy (and cheap) for those (like me) lacking in sewing skills). In a pinch, you could even use a good quality Queen-sized sheet.

I have a similar set-up in my own living room (which is also my 'bedroom'- since the bedroom has slowly morphed into the 'library'.). Until recently, I slept on a futon (In 'couch mode')... but I finally got tired [lazy] of having to fold up bedding every day (or at least when company came over). I decided to start sleeping in a hammock, which I was able to suspend from O-bolts (?) above two window frames... this makes it very easy (when company comes over) to disconnect the hammock and "stash" it behind the closed floor-length curtains!

I haven't found sleeping in an ENO (which is what I'm using inside at the moment) to be problematic... slippery and noisy..somewhat, but not a problem for me. Cold...yup.. a bit. But hopefully, with warmer weather coming that will be a plus.
    I'm in the process of making one of the Tablecloth hammocks to use inside which should be less slippery, noisy and maybe a bit warmer.
    Good luck with your search.... and give your cat a high five for me... sounds like one cool dude.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tablecloth hammock and get a cinch buckle suspension from Dutch. Less than $40 ready to hang. Just need a stand or brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I'd say DIY tablecloth hammock. Comfy, cheap, and portable.

I estimate the cost for suspension & hammock is probably $25.
    Oh, I'm sure it would be really great! However, I'm mostly just being realistic about the likelihood of me ever actually getting around to making said hammock if I have to make it myself, which sadly is low. Unless it's something I can do in like 5min with no extra tools besides scissors, I guess. :/

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pinglederry View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it would be really great! However, I'm mostly just being realistic about the likelihood of me ever actually getting around to making said hammock if I have to make it myself, which sadly is low. Unless it's something I can do in like 5min with no extra tools besides scissors, I guess. :/
    You won't even need scissors.

I am making one for each of my sons with this and this. All you need is brackets on your walls or a tree to hang it from. $37 total plus a little tax and shipping.

Gather the ends of tablecloth and prussik the buckle onto it with two wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    You won't even need scissors.

I am making one for each of my sons with this and this. All you need is brackets on your walls or a tree to hang it from. $37 total plus a little tax and shipping.

Gather the ends of tablecloth and prussik the buckle onto it with two wraps.
    Oh! Interesting! I assume there are already tutorials on how to do this elsewhere in the forum, so I'll go check those out. Thanks!

As far as the brackets go, the advice of the guy at Home Depot who helps people hang heavy things on walls (and who's also a landlord) was to put two small 2x4 blocks on two adjacent studs with a longer 2x4 over them and secure the whole thing to the wall with 1-2 screws on each side (maybe four per side? It's been a while), then put another smaller 2x4 block in the middle of that and secure a bracket with a rotatable ring to that, so it could hold carabiner clips or rope or whatever. He said that was the most secure way that avoided excessive marking-up of the walls and left only screw holes to fill when you moved. And I guess if you wanted you could hang other light things from the wooden parts that aren't flush to the wall, although idk how much that would stress the stud.

• + New Posts