WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I tend to think 12x16 is the minimum sizeand that coverage won't be good (at least not four season). Let's assume two hammocks 4 ft wide and spreader bars 4 ft. long.

Attachment 83239

The top image is a Superfly with one occupant. The bottom is a theoretical 12x16 Superfly with two hammocks.
    Let's say for argument's sake that your average hammock occupant takes up 48" of horizontal space under the tarp. The hammock is a minimum of 18" off the ground. From the bottom of the hammock to the hammock ridgeline is 38" (I just measured one of my hammocks as an example), so you'll need a minimum 56" of clearance from ground to tarp to fit your hammock. I'm sure someone will say, "Maybe it could work if you hung the hammocks really low," but the geometry of this setup makes that nigh impossible.

1) With a 12x16 tarp you'll have barely any side protection.
    2) Just to get two hammocks underneath the tarp, you'll have to hang it really high (forget my earlier comment of bringing a stepladder; you'll need a real ladder).
    3) The doors will not (in fact, cannot) close because you need the clearance for two hammock suspensions.
    4) Silnylon probably comes in 55-60" wide rolls, so you will have three seams on the tarp to join the pieces.

Sounds very kludgy, difficult to set up and achieve a tight pitch, and the single tarp will probably end up weighing more than two tarps with one seam each. I'm using an 11 ft. hammock, so if you are using something shorter your hammock ridgeline may not be 56" off the ground, but it gives you an idea of the geometric challenges of the 4-season two-person tarp setup.

In the end, you'll probably end up with one tarp that weighs more than two (and may cost more), and will redefine time-consuming rigging. Buy hey, you'll only need two trees!

Just my thoughts.
    I think that number of 12ft across is incorrect.. The hammocks will almost be touching so that width number may less than 1ft. And the hammocks won't be 4ft wide each. No way two hammocks side by side will span 8ft. My bad math would give the total width about 6-7ft. Which would give a 16ft tarp pretty good coverage.

One can get a blue walmart tarp to try.

I'd trade up to a 12x16 superfly in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by maggot; 04-08-2014 at 10:20.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    I think that number of 12ft across is incorrect.. The hammocks will almost be touching so that width number may less than 1ft. And the hammocks won't be 4ft wide each. No way two hammocks side by side will span 8ft. My bad math would give the total width about 6-7ft. Which would give a 16ft tarp pretty good coverage.

I'd trade up to a 12x16 superfly in a heartbeat.
    I agree that the 10ft span is ridiculous, it that was the case then there would be enough space to lie perpendicular to the tarp (hypothetically of course) it just doesn't make much sense.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Another thought as I love the superfly buts its small. Would be to add pieces to each side so it comes down another 2.5-3ft. The geometry of the tarp and the single ridgeline stays intact..

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Before buying a custom 12 x 16 tarp, I'd suggest you go to Walmart and get a 12 x 16 cheapo blue tarp so you get an idea of how hard a tarp this size is going to be to hang, and whether it will provide sufficient coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    +1

Had two friends new to hanging out this past weekend trying to make a 12 x 16 box store tarp hang over 2 hammocks.

It was a bit time consuming to find trees that'd work (they used a "V" shape setup of 3 trees with sharing the same foot end tree and different head end trees. They were about the same distance apart as the hikerpole spreader setup you are trying to use). This wouldn't affect you obviously as you'd just be using the same 2 trees to hang both hammocks from.

It was a bit time consuming to rig up the tarp to hang over both hammocks.

We got some light rain straight down. It protected them fine.

If there were any wind or any sideways/blowing rain they both would have gotten wet.

If you're looking for a tarp that'll protect 2 hammocks in any kind of blowing rain, you're going to need at least a 12 x 16 just to protect side to side in addition to some type of head and foot end protection.

I highly recommend purchasing a 20 dollar box store tarp and taking it to a park or wooded area with your hammocks and see how difficult it is to make work before committing to anything custom in my opinion.

YMMV

Let us know how things turn out.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDan View Post
    I agree that the 10ft span is ridiculous, it that was the case then there would be enough space to lie perpendicular to the tarp (hypothetically of course) it just doesn't make much sense.
    I just wanted to draw a picture so the numbers were just a starting point. I highly doubt a hanger would take up 48" of horizontal space but thought it better to estimate high than low.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    You posted a picture of it, so obvoiusly a superfly hung like it is in the picture will work. as others have pointed out there's little coverage for blowing rain, the doors are useless, and you might have to hang the ridge line kind of high depending on how you rig the sides of the tarp.

Why not get a Mamajamba so you don't have to fiddle with the now useless doors? that might cut down on fiddle factor and compensate for the extra fiddle you're gonna do rigging the tarp over two hammocks.

I'd buy a cheap blue tarp that's 10x12 finished size and play with it before buying your real tarp. you might need to go up to a 16 x 12 tarp, or better yet buy both and see which one you like best. If there's not a grommet in the center of the short edge you can get a grommet kit and put some there. that's what I did with my blue tarps before I bought my superfly. reinforce with gorilla tape so they don't tear out as easy. even stock grommets don't last long for ridgeline duty unless you do a continuous ridgeline and let the line be what's stretched tight and lay the tarp over it. then you can just prussik the ridgline grommets to the ridgeline and pull it tight. less stress on the grommets this way.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest w/ str. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret 8x10
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    +1 On the Mamajamba

And I have found that a good way to hang 2 under one tarp is to have each hanger run their suspension off the opposite side of the tree (resulting in a horizontal separation equal to the diameter of the tree), and then to supplement that with some vertical offset. The result is that you don't need as much horizontal or vertical offset as you would if you went side-by-side or bunk style, as you are hanging kinda diagonally to each other. I have kept dry with a buddy under a fairly small asym Tyvek tarp this way on a rainy night.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My wife and I use an oes 4 season tarp. We use small spreader bars between our suspension. Our doors can't close all the way and we sacrifice some head room. We basically touch each other through the hammocks, but she likes this. It works great for us. My hammock is a little lower than hers, which helps some. I think we get pretty decent coverage, been through some rain, but if the weather is going to be terrible, she never comes on the trip, so I have the tarp to myself. I supplement with UQ protectors if its going to be windy. Works so far for us.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Go to the 10 minute mark. We fit two hammocks in an HG cuben. You should have no problem doing it with a Superfly.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I HAVE YOUR ANSWER... though it is not my design. Smokehouse made a tarp called the honeymoon suite. And it is just that, SWEET! I am dying to make this when my sewing skills are good enough. The link to the thread has instructions to make this on page 4, although they are the original design, before he improved the vestibule. I believe he makes, (or made) and sells (sold) these on request. Hope this helps you get where you're going, because I think it is where I am trying to go as well
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-Suite)/page4

“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast