Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

12 tree to tree hammocks for my Cubscout Leaders?

I am thinking of making 12 (I need to count and make sure I am not forgetting anyone) hammocks. I am thinking webbing, amsteel and hammock with a rl. I have a spool of lash-it and some amsteel (maybe 25'-50').

In doing my first search for material I found that the 60"x126" poly table cloth for either 8.08 or 8.99, or a 60"x126" crinkle taffeta for 11.99 from tableclothsfactory.com with $7 shipping. In terms of use/weight limit/durability does it matter?

I am thinking this will be the cheapest option and least amount of work?

For the webbing I only checked diygear and it was $50 for 144' at .35 plus shipping. I figured 12' per hammock, but I plan on sewing a loop at the end.

Lastly I checked diygear for amsteel 7/64 and it was .25 a foot for 288' for about $70 plus shipping.

I have some thread, but shouldn't need much except for the webbing? Should I be sewing a channel in the ends of the table cloth or can I just whip the ends?

What is the rl length recommended for a 126" minus ends? i figure its not more then 10' so x12 = 120' if so I should have enough.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    http://www.magnafabrics.com/ isn't this slightly better for bulk prices?

Edit: I don't know whether they have any fabric in stock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The plain polyester tablecloths are a heavier weight fabric then the crinkle taffeta (also polyester) and with very very little stretch, I find them to be considerably less comfortable....get the crinkle.

1500 lbs webbing @ $0.25/ft... http://readystrap.com/rst_014.htm

Get a spool of Gutermann Mara 70 or Terra 40 thread while you're at DIY Gear Supply to sew the straps.

Don't bother with the channel ends. Lash the ends with paracord (or whatever you have) and larks head the suspension on behind the lashing.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The plain polyester tablecloths are a heavier weight fabric then the crinkle taffeta (also polyester) and with very very little stretch, I find them to be considerably less comfortable....get the crinkle.

1500 lbs webbing @ $0.25/ft... http://readystrap.com/rst_014.htm

Get a spool of Gutermann Mara 70 or Terra 40 thread while you're at DIY Gear Supply to sew the straps.

Don't bother with the channel ends. Lash the ends with paracord (or whatever you have) and larks head the suspension on behind the lashing.
    I agree for the most part,readystraps with cinch buckles is how i would go, but for fabric check out this ,,
    http://store.magnafabrics.com/30_Den...25_a_Yard.html..

or this
    http://store.magnafabrics.com/produc...&product=34220
    Last edited by Zilla; 04-07-2014 at 08:37.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Raw fabric vs tablecloth...sew vs no-sew....your choice.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Magna fabrics. You get ripstop for under a $1 a yard depending on how much you get. I have ordered form them several times.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I am just finishing 20 double layered hammocks for the Boy Scouts. Sewed Chanel's on them as well. Took about 1.5 hrs each. More work than I realized. I used the 1.1 from Magna for $.39 a yrd. Still have aBout 40 yards left for fun. Add in straps, whoopies, and stuff sacks. A lot of time. But I worth it.

i got the amsteel and webbing from Dutchware. Prices seemed similar to the others.

Kicking my self for forgetting to get chord and chord locks for the bags. Giving them out to night so boys can make their own whoopies.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Sewed Chanel's on them as well. Took about 1.5 hrs each.
    Probably not necessary to sew channels. Isn't there a faster way to seam seal hammocks? It's tempting to think that superglue or another adhesive would work quite well, and that way if someone gets really into hammocking, they can take off the glue and improve it however they see fit. When I was younger, I always took issue with being given something that I couldn't improve/change, but the raw materials had a lot of potential.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Thanks so far to all. I started to reply to gmcttr and my internet at work went down. I am on my tablet.

I have looked at magna and need to look further because I wish I could use the link zilla sent, because it would be much cheaper then the tableclothes, but I need 70d and up. This is for the leaders. I am cubmaster and have been for 3 years. My son will be a webelos 2 after May and I am stepping down to allow someone else to take over. These will be gifts to the leaders ( and if I have extra prizes for some of the boys). For this next year I will be making full tree to tree set ups for the bridging webelos 2. So this is a short run for that. Those I will make dl with either sewn bug net or fronkey style and a tarp with doors.
    I have emailed readystrap but it looks like $42 or so for the webbing. Magna looks like $50 -75 depending on 70d and how much I buy (I may get extra to make for a few lucky boys.) It looks like dutch has the amsteel at .22 per, I am just going to email him because he sometimes has deals maybe he can do webbing and steel. Either way is looks like $42+$62.50 (split the difference)+$63.36 (minus what I already have) and figure 2x$4 for the thread= $175.86 (this includes shipping for magna but not for webbing and steel or thread) lets call it $200 or $16.66 per hammock.

Am I forgetting anything? Besides the rl which I have and the toggle which I will find and recycle something like arrows.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Regarding cordlocks - Get them at Walmart - they are cheap

I made 7 hammocks last year for my troop - and just went with webbing and cinch buckles for suspension. Magnafabrics is a good bulk place - selvage may be an issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast