Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Great White,

That was a great write up, my friend. I'm usually torn between taking the long and wonderful solitude of the extended trail or catching up with the group for the stories and fellowship. You didn't help me any in my dilemma with the description of the Paula Dockery trail. I've yet to take that trail, but will do so next time.

Anybody else get to see that ball of bees? Pics?
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I found one small one, smaller than a soda can, at Lakeside and heard another one around where we hung last year but couldn't find it.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Great White,

That was a great write up, my friend. I'm usually torn between taking the long and wonderful solitude of the extended trail or catching up with the group for the stories and fellowship. You didn't help me any in my dilemma with the description of the Paula Dockery trail. I've yet to take that trail, but will do so next time.
    You have to find a balance. From my experience, I have a hard time with one or the other. I need both. Most of the fun happens around the fire after the sun has set. For me, that leaves the day for hiking and setting up. I noticed during the past few hangs in Florida, there is too little hiking and too much camping. (Please don't anyone take that as a critique) Due to factors beyond my control at this time, I usually can't arrive early enough on Fridays to hike to a hang site and setup while the sun is up. I have discovered that I hate setting up in the dark. Therefore I end up with a short hike on Saturdays with most of the time spent in camp. For this trip, it would have meant a hike roughly half the distance over the weekend then everyone else who made the Friday hike. The balance for me is off. I need to hike. What made that trip better was knowing the people I would find at the end of it. Think of it like an adventure, you are following in the groups footsteps knowing you will meet up eventually or you are traveling a great distance to reach them. The goal is to hang out and the hike to the hang spot is part of the experience. I missed the Green Swamp trip a few weeks ago and I didn't like that fact.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Agree with you GW. I have to hike to earn my dinner!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I sort of agree but I'm a heat/sun wimp and I doubt I would enjoy as many miles as you did on your Saturday hike. Plus, like this time, I frequently end up doing lots of "hiking" for work but it is through the woods and not on a trail... and that tuckers me out before I even get out there with you guys

The thing I like about this circuit hike is that it is a hike but not A HIKE. You get your hiking in, your relaxing in (even a nap), you have water everywhere, and especially you have our gang there. I'm not exhausted and trying to recover from the bottom of the barrel, just pleasantly tired and smelly

I think if we have the Nov hang down here we should do the southern loop... start at the south end of School Bus rd and either hike up to Lakeside or Isabell, then over to the other (Isabell/Lakeside), then Sunday back down to the cars. I think the southern loop might be a bit longer than the northern loop but I'm not sure. You wouldn't get any creek hiking but it would be a different hike in a different area but still have water at both camp sites. It would also mean that all of the usuals have hiked all of the trails on Arbuckle

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Pictures from the Arbuckle hike.

/attachDon't know why the pictures turned sideways, sorry. I have much to learn about navigating this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by heljen; 04-11-2014 at 20:40.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    [QUOTE=MAD777;1238034]Jennifer, we have a saying around here, "Pictures, or it didn't happen!"

Quote Originally Posted by heljen View Post
    /attach pictures .
    OK, confirmed. Thanks for joining us! Olddog, nice picture of the whole motley crew, errr.... I mean the usual subjects!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great pics Jennifer!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Jen, if you're loading pics from your computer. Open the individual pic and at the bottom will be an icon of a red arrow curving left or right. Click on it until the pic is oriented correctly. Took me a while to realize that computers aren't that smart. They will give you back just what you enter. Once it is upright in the computer it will post upright in the thread. My wife forced me to learn that when she took pics of me in the kilt with the camera turned vertically.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    GW, thanks, you summed it up better than I could and it makes perfect sense.

I like a hike long enough to tire me out, but I also have set up too many times in the dark. A 3-4 hour hike is about right. Should get 6-10 miles without getting too tired and get there before dark. That leaves plenty of setup time and a little group time before supper.

Jennifer, sorry I didn't meet you there, but the pics help me be there, thanks.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast