Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Oh, how I wanted to be there. f i i i ire

Coming next for me will probably be an overnighter on a little spoil island on the Indian River Lagoon.

Rick, we will be having about a 3 mile hike to Hidden Pond in Ocala in July for FLRider's "No Underquilt Hang". Last year, it was great during daytime and had cool nights. It was a fleece blanket only kind of night. There is the spring fed pond with a sandy beach access to relax and cool down in.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My trip was different of course. I wanted to get some distance during this trip and actually hike during the weekend not just to a particular point and setup camp. Also, my arrival was pushed off until Saturday so I decided to walk along the orange trail from the bridge all the way to the blue trail junction. There I would walk up the ridge to Goodwin Lake and then proceed to the Isabell Creek campsite.

I arrived around 10:30 in the am and saw a large horde of Boy Scouts getting ready to travel in the opposite direction from my hike. Grateful is an understatement, I was not sure if they where going out to camp at Isabell Creek or not, but later Samsara confirmed they where doing the opposite loop from me and ending up at Lake Side. As I was paying the fee, I saw Tuck approaching from School Bus Road. He informed me that family was coming in to town for a visit and he could not stay any longer. Since I was so late in my arrival, the trail head was full of vehicles so I drove down to the next option, some 300 feet or so down the road. Samsara drove up and made sure I had enough water and wished me luck. I thanked him for his concern and finished lathering my sunscreen on. At 10:40 I was on the trail.

As I walked along the creek, I could not help but notice how amazing it was. The water appeared to be near bank full stage. With a dark brown hue from the tanning. At a few spots along the trail, where a view allowed me to observe the creek, all I could think of was how awesome it would be to take a boat trip down. Every meander must present a new and unique stretch of the creek. It looked primordial from my vantage point. My hike continued and soon I was away from the riparian zone and into an upland zone. The change was drastic and like night and day in the ecology. Another feature I love about Florida and particularly the Lake Wales Ridge.

At 12:00pm sharp, I arrived at the Lake Side campsite. It was empty of course, the rest of the group had left long before I arrived. I sat down at the picnic table and extracted my lunch from my pack. I eat and observed the wonderful view of Lake Arbuckle. In the distance I could see a few skiffs with fishermen on them, I did not notice any airboats at the time. The sun was shinning the waves where breaking through the reeds and the day was looking hot. I finished my lunch and gathered some water from the nearby stream and filtered it. I filled a 2 liter bladder and my 1 liter water bottle. The trail once again called for me to continue.

The walk along the lake was great, as usual. The lake was low and the trail was mostly a beach walk with plenty of tree coverage to keep the sun at away. Spanish moss hanged from the numerous cypress trees and through them an incredible view of the undeveloped far shore. Truly a site to behold. Along the shore I encountered a couple of hikers taking some photos of the lake. They informed me of a large collection of bees up the trail from me. I told them I would watch out for them. A half of a mile later I could hear the distinctive hum of bees.

I looked up into the trees and saw a huge ball, probably 3 feet in diameter, of bees perched below a tree branch 60 feet above me. Surrounding this ball a cloud of bees circled as if they where electrons orbiting an atomic nucleus. It was great sight to behold. Unfortunately I hiked without my camera, I wanted to save weight. But I regretted that decision when I saw the bees.

A short time later the trail began its rise away from the lake and onto the ridge. Soon the junction with the blue blazed trail was in sight and I began my long walk across the forest to Isabell Creek on the opposite side. The blue trail went through the Cabin Loop trail and the cabin area itself. I soon heard the sounds of cars and people. As I came out of the brush I saw a large collection of people appearing to picnic near the cabin. They made no appearance of noticing me and I continued on the trail.

When I reached Godwin Lake, my 3 liters of water was down to half a liter. The walk from Lake Side to Godwin Lake was 2 hours. The Boy Scouts where resting and exploring around the lake. Twenty minutes later they left traveling in the opposite direction to me. I was fortunate that an encounter on the trail did not occur, passing by a column of 20 or so people does not sound fun. Three additional liters of water was obtained from the lake and I continued my trek across the forest.

The walk felt surprisingly fast, but I arrived after about an 1 hour and 15 or so minutes. As I approached the Isabell Creek campsite, I heard the familiar sound of the bee swarm from the lake. Looking around for a few minutes yielded no swam, so I continued my walk in.

After greeting everyone, I was talked me into resting my feet in the creek. I of course went ahead and found the experience relaxing. The water was cold to the touch and felt great after a day of hiking. After dinner I setup the hammock. Unfortunately I mis-measured the trees I selected and they where two feet too short. But I made the best of it and had no issue sleeping that night. Everyone spent the night around the fire and Olddog told stories of his days in the Navy and Mad777 sailing experiences in the Bahamas. The next morning we all eat breakfast, posed for the group photo and hiked out.

I want to thank everyone whom came out. It was a blast for sure. I am grateful for the photos since I did not capture any on my own. See everyone in the fall!

My first trip with this great group and hopefully not the last. They shared so many great tips and I could not believe the different homemade stoves. I will post my pictures soon, still trying to navigate the site. Thank you for letting this tent camper tag along. Jennifer

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heljen View Post
    My first trip with this great group and hopefully not the last. They shared so many great tips and I could not believe the different homemade stoves. I will post my pictures soon, still trying to navigate the site. Thank you for letting this tent camper tag along. Jennifer
    Welcome to the forum Jennifer! Whether you knew it or not you are now officially part of the gang (we just need to get you into a hammock )

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    My trip was different of course. I wanted to get some distance during this trip and actually hike during the weekend not just to a particular point and setup camp. Also, my arrival was pushed off until Saturday so I decided to walk along the orange trail from the bridge all the way to the blue trail junction. There I would walk up the ridge to Goodwin Lake and then proceed to the Isabell Creek campsite.

I arrived around 10:30 in the am and saw a large horde of Boy Scouts getting ready to travel in the opposite direction from my hike. Grateful is an understatement, I was not sure if they where going out to camp at Isabell Creek or not, but later Samsara confirmed they where doing the opposite loop from me and ending up at Lake Side. As I was paying the fee, I saw Tuck approaching from School Bus Road. He informed me that family was coming in to town for a visit and he could not stay any longer. Since I was so late in my arrival, the trail head was full of vehicles so I drove down to the next option, some 300 feet or so down the road. Samsara drove up and made sure I had enough water and wished me luck. I thanked him for his concern and finished lathering my sunscreen on. At 10:40 I was on the trail.

As I walked along the creek, I could not help but notice how amazing it was. The water appeared to be near bank full stage. With a dark brown hue from the tanning. At a few spots along the trail, where a view allowed me to observe the creek, all I could think of was how awesome it would be to take a boat trip down. Every meander must present a new and unique stretch of the creek. It looked primordial from my vantage point. My hike continued and soon I was away from the riparian zone and into an upland zone. The change was drastic and like night and day in the ecology. Another feature I love about Florida and particularly the Lake Wales Ridge.

At 12:00pm sharp, I arrived at the Lake Side campsite. It was empty of course, the rest of the group had left long before I arrived. I sat down at the picnic table and extracted my lunch from my pack. I eat and observed the wonderful view of Lake Arbuckle. In the distance I could see a few skiffs with fishermen on them, I did not notice any airboats at the time. The sun was shinning the waves where breaking through the reeds and the day was looking hot. I finished my lunch and gathered some water from the nearby stream and filtered it. I filled a 2 liter bladder and my 1 liter water bottle. The trail once again called for me to continue.

The walk along the lake was great, as usual. The lake was low and the trail was mostly a beach walk with plenty of tree coverage to keep the sun at away. Spanish moss hanged from the numerous cypress trees and through them an incredible view of the undeveloped far shore. Truly a site to behold. Along the shore I encountered a couple of hikers taking some photos of the lake. They informed me of a large collection of bees up the trail from me. I told them I would watch out for them. A half of a mile later I could hear the distinctive hum of bees.

I looked up into the trees and saw a huge ball, probably 3 feet in diameter, of bees perched below a tree branch 60 feet above me. Surrounding this ball a cloud of bees circled as if they where electrons orbiting an atomic nucleus. It was great sight to behold. Unfortunately I hiked without my camera, I wanted to save weight. But I regretted that decision when I saw the bees.

A short time later the trail began its rise away from the lake and onto the ridge. Soon the junction with the blue blazed trail was in sight and I began my long walk across the forest to Isabell Creek on the opposite side. The blue trail went through the Cabin Loop trail and the cabin area itself. I soon heard the sounds of cars and people. As I came out of the brush I saw a large collection of people appearing to picnic near the cabin. They made no appearance of noticing me and I continued on the trail.

When I reached Godwin Lake, my 3 liters of water was down to half a liter. The walk from Lake Side to Godwin Lake was 2 hours. The Boy Scouts where resting and exploring around the lake. Twenty minutes later they left traveling in the opposite direction to me. I was fortunate that an encounter on the trail did not occur, passing by a column of 20 or so people does not sound fun. Three additional liters of water was obtained from the lake and I continued my trek across the forest.

The walk felt surprisingly fast, but I arrived after about an 1 hour and 15 or so minutes. As I approached the Isabell Creek campsite, I heard the familiar sound of the bee swarm from the lake. Looking around for a few minutes yielded no swam, so I continued my walk in.

After greeting everyone, I was talked me into resting my feet in the creek. I of course went ahead and found the experience relaxing. The water was cold to the touch and felt great after a day of hiking. After dinner I setup the hammock. Unfortunately I mis-measured the trees I selected and they where two feet too short. But I made the best of it and had no issue sleeping that night. Everyone spent the night around the fire and Olddog told stories of his days in the Navy and Mad777 sailing experiences in the Bahamas. The next morning we all eat breakfast, posed for the group photo and hiked out.

I want to thank everyone whom came out. It was a blast for sure. I am grateful for the photos since I did not capture any on my own. See everyone in the fall!
    You are definitely a hiking machine!
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heljen View Post
    My first trip with this great group... I will post my pictures soon....
    Jennifer, we have a saying around here, "Pictures, or it didn't happen!"
    Get those pictures up, or you weren't there!

Just kidding with you. It was great having you and you are definitely one of the gang. (We'll take care of that tent problem soon )
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like I too missed a great trip Rich and FLHanger, but that's the way it goes sometime.

After reading Great White's account of his hike I'm beginning to think that FLRider has lost his position as Poet Laureit of the Florida Hangers. Great writing GW! FLRider can keep the videos streaming.

Looking forward to the No Quilt Hang at Hidden Pond!!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Great report GW, as always.

Jennifer, it was a pleasure to meet you and to have you join us on this trip and hopefully on others in the future.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Had a great time as always. I've learned quite a bit in my first season of backpacking and even more than the knowledge and skills I value the friendships I've made this year.

I got home and checked my phone because I didn't remember taking any pictures, the only on I had was of the chicken which had already gotten more than his share of the thread.

I'm looking forward to next season, I'm not sure if I'll make the Hidden Pond hang this summer, I'm trying to spend as much time in the mountains as possible this summer until school starts back in August.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Craig, don't forget to go back to pick up all the gear you stashed in the bushes. I know you didn't have a weekend's worth of gear in that tiny backpack!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast