Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

What's the deal with post count?

Not that I give a darn - I don't buy, sell or PIF. Just wondering how this forum handles post count. It seems a bit whacked out since the recent upgrade.

Are posts to certain forums (i.e., Introduce Yourself) not counted? Are there any other forums where your post count doesn't increment if you post to it?

One guy Sh2dow is on a mission to answer every Introduce Yourself in history that didn't receive a response - a noble endeavor, but I notice his post count never increments.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    They quit counting intros as posts a long time ago, like maybe a year ago.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Learn something new every day - like there are Introduce Yourself threads that nobody replies to. Darn shame you can't set up a bot or auto-reply from some mythical HF member to give the new members a warm fuzzy.

What's the deal with post count?

But not every new member does a intro as a first post either anymore. The intro used to mean something, heck there was a time when if you did not do it first you were chastised by all as it was a sort of right of passage, but I guess that crap doesn't mean anything anymore.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I always thought a thread started in the intro section didn't count, but responding to other's threads in the intro section did count.

I know I've said howdy and welcome to new folks there, and seen my posts go up by one. Haven't paid attention lately though.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    The VB software (I used to admin some other forums), allows you to NOT count posts in certain sub-forums. However, once counted, they STAY counted (for a bit....). So, you have a count, lets say 111 posts. The Admin changes to NOT count a sub-forum, say "intro" and "for sale", no longer count. Does your 111 post then change? No, well, not yet. There IS an Admin function to then RECOUNT. Most forums rarely run that. Lets say they run it, your count would then drop by how many posts you'd made in the INTRO and FORSALE sub-forums. So your new count say would have been 99. SO, Admin could have changed "what counts and what doesn't" a year back, yet not run the Recount function (I forget the exact term VB uses). SO, when the upgrade was run, it probably ran the new counts, with the then-in-existent rules. BANG. Any posts from years ago in "intro" and For-Sale" are then NOT counted. Your numbers, mine, everyone's, goes down by how many posts you'd made in those sub-forums.
    Any way to get them back? HAHA...that's funny. NO. Unless they change the rules again AND run the admin tool to recount.

OH, and tick off the admin. They can also go in and change any "count" they want. I once gave myself a million posts.....I had like 2133 posts. Changed the number to 1,002,133. That forum had a good laugh at that one. "OMG!!! RAY!!! Get a LIFE!!! A MILLION posts??? Get a J O B!!!". etc.

I learned years back to not worry about post counts....it's all vapor-intermess anyway.
    Last edited by rhjanes; 04-06-2014 at 11:37.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Learn something new every day - like there are Introduce Yourself threads that nobody replies to. Darn shame you can't set up a bot or auto-reply from some mythical HF member to give the new members a warm fuzzy.
    That's what we hired sh2dow for. Humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    But not every new member does a intro as a first post either anymore. The intro used to mean something, heck there was a time when if you did not do it first you were chastised by all as it was a sort of right of passage, but I guess that crap doesn't mean anything anymore.
    That's a pretty dark view of things Yoda. :/

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    The VB software (I used to admin some other forums), allows you to NOT count posts in certain sub-forums. However, once counted, they STAY counted (for a bit....). So, you have a count, lets say 111 posts. The Admin changes to NOT count a sub-forum, say "intro" and "for sale", no longer count. Does your 111 post then change? No, well, not yet. There IS an Admin function to then RECOUNT. Most forums rarely run that. Lets say they run it, your count would then drop by how many posts you'd made in the INTRO and FORSALE sub-forums. So your new count say would have been 99. SO, Admin could have changed "what counts and what doesn't" a year back, yet not run the Recount function (I forget the exact term VB uses). SO, when the upgrade was run, it probably ran the new counts, with the then-in-existent rules. BANG. Any posts from years ago in "intro" and For-Sale" are then NOT counted. Your numbers, mine, everyone's, goes down by how many posts you'd made in those sub-forums.
    Any way to get them back? HAHA...that's funny. NO. Unless they change the rules again AND run the admin tool to recount.
    This is exactly why many folks saw their post count drop after the upgrade. There was some database corruption which had probably been lurking for quite some time. The upgrade process exposed this and part of the recovery process included rebuilding several indexes one of them being post counts. Members who have been around longer saw a larger drop in post count due to deleted posts, posts moved to the holding zone and posts made in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So posts in Introduce Yourself aren't counted? Any other threads that aren't counted?

Nice hire of Sh2dow - he/she cracks me up!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Admin will have to tell us what sub-forums are not included in posts count.
    I just picked on For-Sale and Introduce Yourself sub-forums for examples sake.

A lot of forums, all the "off-topic" forums, don't count.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Octo it is what it is! The acceptance of that is not a dark view at all, even by my stating it is not dark as you refer! By my statement fits the overall theme of posts not counting, yet you seem to think my view is skewed??

You know what I had a lot more typed out in response but it is not worth it!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast