Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Were you comfy right away?...or need time to adjust to hangingt??

Keen to get a chance to try out a DIY hammock setup... hoping to build in the next couple weeks!

I'm curious though, is it common for hammock sleeping to be something that might take a bit to adjust too at first, (before swearing you'll never go back to the ground....)? Or do most hangers just love it from the start?

How many nights in a hammock before you know it's just not for you? All of the above based on the assumption it's properly setup. (...and yes, some fine tuning, that could take some time due to personal preferences etc.)
    I've never tried yet, so just looking for feedback from those who have made the switch. From what I've learned so far just from reading, I'm excited to make the switch, but worried that if it isn't working out, I don't want to give up to quickly if maybe its just a matter of transition time....

Thoughts on -

How long did it take to get comfortable? Right away? Lot's of adjustment to find the sweet spot?, Not much?, When to finally just give up....

thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Soon as I found out about camping hammocks, the ground was not an option. I was going to make it work. There is a heckuva lot of fiddle factor to hammocks, tarps, insulation, etc., but it's all worth it to get off the ground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    It may take a few nights to get settled in. And you never know the hammock you start off with may not be the hammock you are going to find comfortable. Even after a few weeks of not sleeping in a hammock after you find your perfect hanging set up you may find it takes a night for your body to get back in the groove. Don't give up. Try to find some local group hangs to go to and check out others rigs, always a great way to get info.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Fairly comfortable right away with a gathered end. Very comfy after a night or two and so e adjustments. Even faster in a bridge.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Here's my thoughts on your question, from a few years ago

Since then, I've got a lot more nights in the hammock on the trail. Some nights are great, some nights are just decent - haven't had a bad night in a very long time. Last trip out was actually my best night's sleep ever. Warm, dry (despite pouring rain), lulled to sleep by the sound of rain hitting the tarp … I fell asleep quickly, and woke about 8 hours later feeling great.

I've even found that hammocking has altered the way I can sleep in a bed. I could never sleep on my back before I started camping in a hammock. I was usually somewhere between a side and stomach sleeper. But now I actually find some nights that I settle in on my back in my bed, and stay there.

No matter what - it's better than sleeping on the ground. But it may not be for everyone. You'll only know if you give it some time.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I was comfortable right away. The change I made after hanging in a hammock for some time (years) was to decrease the angle, i.e. pull it tighter.
    I did this because I came to find out that I snored when I slept in my hammock - who knew? - I started paying attention, and noticed that all the folks who I heard snoring while sleeping in their hammocks, had as much sag as I did - or more. Mind you I was never uncomfortable, but I didn't want to snore. So, I opted to pull it tighter, and that did it. Good to go since, and super comfortable. I have no idea what my "hang angle" was, or what it is now - I'm comfortable, quiet, and happy.

u.w.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Took about 5 attempts. Like silentorpheus, I too am a side sleeper. Still sleep that way in a bed, but now full time on my back in a hammock. First couple times it was discovering once I got my pads right, I couldn't roll over and have them still where I needed them. Finally I got use to sleeping on my back, then I got an UQ.

Right away I also noticed, with all that downy goodness, if I did try to roll on my side, my back would get a little chill. I run a 20* UQ with a 40* TQ. Go figure!

There was never another option for me. I'd given up hiking because of the ground for 15 years. HH, Shug, HF and BIAS,in that order, gave the woods back to me. That's a pretty big deal.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I knew within five minutes of being in a hammock that I absolutely HAD to have one. I now sleep in one full time. My back thanks me daily.
    Debi

I read about hammocking online and bought a gathered end hammock cheaply. I was lucky enough to buy a snugpak cocoon sleeping bag at the same time so I never suffered cold spots while I got used to the hammock. I had this first hammock strung too tightly for years but didn't ever have a bad nights sleep. It just got better and better as I experimented with suspension and then made a DIY hammock.

The big thing for me is the experience as much as the hammock - the space, the view and the closeness with nature - and because of this I have never had a bad night. My last trip was awesome but the DIY hammock still wasn't quite right ... Which just makes me look forward to tweaking it on the next trip!!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First night was great. Never looked down again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast