Hammock
    DIY in crimson
    Tarp
    MLD ULhammock tarp
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

I've come for brilliant ideas and happy hangin' stories.

Hi all --

Fellow hanger here from southern Ohio. I've been hanging a while across the states in my doublenest ENO working on conservation corps and teaching wilderness education, and this summer I'm hiking SOBO on the AT. A lot of critical thinking about my relationships to both my gear and to the land, and how each experience is intricately involved with the other, has lead me to start counting my ounces (and dare I say it, grams) and making my own gear or choosing gear made in the US. I aim to sleep the nights away slung up in the trees and sewed up my first DIY hammock using 1.6oz ripstop nylon a few weeks ago, employing a combination of Knotty's design and the pattern on DIYgearsupply.com. My first, but certainly not my last -- I'm seeing some changes I need to make with the next one. I whipped up some whoopie slings with the help of a friend, and plan on incorporating a bugnet into the system. I really dig the lightweight and durable qualities of the hammock, and it feels good to rest in something I made myself.

I'm very interested in sustainable living and as such, would like to incorporate more recycled, renewable and natural fibers into my gear. I've been looking for recycled nylon fabric I can buy retail (or where can I get my hands on fabric made of recycled water bottles?). After lurking here for a while, I've decided that the best idea is to plunge into the collected knowledge of hammockforums and see where everyone else is on their hammock journey and how we can help each other out. Thanks for providing an awesome community.

I love what you're doing. Keep it up!

• + New Posts