Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Ahh c'mon Beamer, If you're gonna go bikepacking, GO BIG! How bout a bike trailer ?!?

Had mine out just the other day, carrying my full winter pack and some extra water. I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure it was still back there - couldn't feel it, couldn't hear it.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Welcome to the forums.

For gear checkout Relevate designs. What I use:

http://www.revelatedesigns.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bike 1.jpg

Welcome!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    So let's talk some bike gear...

As I said, I'm an avid mountain biker, but I've never bolted or strapped anything to my bike for longer trips. So what brand/gear/goodies should I look into?

I'm pretty sure I'm going on the 4 day 150 mile ride on the GAP that's posted in the trip planning forum, so let's hear those suggestions!

Thanks
    So doing a bit of research on the GAP.
    Welcome to one of America's best bike trails, where you will discover a nearly level trail along winding rivers, shaded valleys, and small towns. The Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) rail-trail offers 150 miles of hiking and biking between Cumberland, MD, and Pittsburgh, PA.
    I would think panniers would be the best way to carry enough gear without over packing.
    Last year I built a rails to trails 29er bike. My first rails to trails trip report here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7631838923828/

If you have just one mtn bike and don't want to make it a hauler all the time look into
    removable pannier racks.

Have you seen the guys video?

The bike packing thing is becoming more popular see http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ecr or this prototype http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/04/12/...ike-prototype/

OutandBack,

What made you think panniers are the best option for this trip? Looking at your pictures makes me want a new bike, I have a rockhopper and love it. But I bought it two years before 29'ers where introduced. ::sad::

I looked at relevate designs stuff and I wasn't impressed, although I've never strapped anything to a bike before. For me they have always been a single purpose item...

I started training for this 4 day haul, I've got a lot of work to do. Yikes.

Images
    OutandBack,

What made you think panniers are the best option for this trip? Looking at your pictures makes me want a new bike, I have a rockhopper and love it. But I bought it two years before 29'ers where introduced. ::sad::

I looked at relevate designs stuff and I wasn't impressed, although I've never strapped anything to a bike before. For me they have always been a single purpose item...

I started training for this 4 day haul, I've got a lot of work to do. Yikes.
    Hi Beamer,
    The Great Allegheny Passage is a rails to trail which usually means dirt/packed gravel/pavement but basicly flat riding.
    Panniers give you enough room without over packing.
    Keeping your load under 30# with water and food really makes for a much nicer ride, well at least it does for me.
    All my bikes are full suspension, my knees are too old for hardtails, and my gear is too bulky for frame bags.
    The panniers with a high quality rack has worked well for me even on Colorado single track bike packing trips.

This is my Rails to Trails bike.

hth

How are you trailing for this? I would think... can your butt stand riding for 8-10 hours per day?
    The rest should be easy.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-23-2014 at 08:59.

I think panniers are better too. I have never used frame bags but they just don't seam to have the volume that I would need. You may also be limited using the frame bag on other bikes. I also won't be concerned about a suspension, large tires and wheels can smooth out a lot of rough surfaces. see http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler and the http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ecr which is a great bike packing rig.

Thanks guys. I like the way panniers work and look better too. Any suggestions ask to what type/brand I should look at? I would like some decent ones without breaking the bank. However I got my tax return today so I wouldn't mind looking at some good ones...

OutandBack - I live close to a part of the GAP, so I'll be going out there and just riding it. My first ride of the season I only made it 15 miles before my but was killing me. But I'll be going at least a couple times a week and should be able to do 40 miles a day by then.

Images
    Thanks guys. I like the way panniers work and look better too. Any suggestions ask to what type/brand I should look at? I would like some decent ones without breaking the bank. However I got my tax return today so I wouldn't mind looking at some good ones...

OutandBack - I live close to a part of the GAP, so I'll be going out there and just riding it. My first ride of the season I only made it 15 miles before my but was killing me. But I'll be going at least a couple times a week and should be able to do 40 miles a day by then.
    Have any picts of your bike? What are you riding. That would determine what racks are needed.
    On panniers I prefer Axioms
    http://www.axiomgear.com/news/tag/axiom-panniers/
    They are tough and half the price of the big boys.
    Be sure to google for the best price 30-40% off from retail is typical.
    If that is still too steep BikeNashbar is a place to checkout.
    You will need to deterime how much volume you will need for your gear.
    For me 1500 per is as big as I would go. For your bulky quilts use a Dry bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast