Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Have any picts of your bike? What are you riding. That would determine what racks are needed.
    This is the only picture I have of the bike right now. But it's a 2008 specialized rockhopper disk. I really want an epic 29er. But I can't afford a bike right now.

uploadfromtaptalk1398269406129.jpg

The thing about volume is... I don't know how much I would need. I doubt I would do anything more than a 4 or 5 day trip though.

Images
    Yep you are a bigboy. You and a 29er would be made for each other.
    Determining volume is just like figuring out what size backpack you need.

Here's some pict of my bike packing kits. They may or may not help this folder is kind of unorganized.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7631519909619/

On a rockhopper you can use just about any mtn bike rear rack. I would look for one you could move over to a future new bike.
    I would checkout a Thule Tour Rack that is the rack I use on my Yeti AS-x it is very versitile.
    For something more perminent look at Old Man Mountain. They are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Thanks guys. I like the way panniers work and look better too. Any suggestions ask to what type/brand I should look at? I would like some decent ones without breaking the bank. However I got my tax return today so I wouldn't mind looking at some good ones...
    I have and highly recommend Arkel panniers many of their models are made in Quebec. They will last you the rest of your life and are well made.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    One of my close friends and riding buddies has an Epic 29er. Pretty nice bike. I'm getting another season out of my Giant Trance X, then going 27.5 next year! Either another Giant Trance, or looking at a Turner Flux possibly.

None of this is relevant though, as I don't bikepack with my XC bikes. That's what the cross bike is for

The Trance getting a tune up the other day
    20140412_193431.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    One of my close friends and riding buddies has an Epic 29er. Pretty nice bike. I'm getting another season out of my Giant Trance X, then going 27.5 next year! Either another Giant Trance, or looking at a Turner Flux possibly.
    Once I got a Fatbike I loved the traction and stability of it I sold my squish bike frame and fork and moved the components over to a Surly Krampus 29+ frame and wheels. I am now climbing stuff I don't deserve to be climbing and so much faster. Anything that has tires less then 3" is a road bike to me.
    Last edited by rofo; 04-23-2014 at 20:20.

Having finished my first 12 day ride last month I am making a few changes to my Trek hybrid/700. The large rear panniers 'encourage' you to fill them up so I am downsizing to putting smaller front panniers on the rear. They are also narrower than me as I sit/ride on the bike so should be good for single track trails. Looking at a narrow comfortable backpack to strap on the rear rack. Can't understand why anyone would want to carry he burden of a pack when a strong yet lightweight rack can do it easier. Also in two minds about keeping the handlebar bag in place or strapping it to the front rack to get the weight lower. Another possibility is making a frame bag just big enough to take hammock, net etc with maybe a separate pocket for wet tarp, slings/rope. Hope that helps.

I just bought a crave SL 29er. I am planing on taking it on my four day trip. When it arrives I'm going to start training on it to see how I like the ss.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Started out trail riding and then moved more into road riding. However, yesterday I decided to compare two of my hammocks and rode out to the forest preserves. I have thought in the past about getting panniers for my bike. A while back I inquired about them for my mountain bike and was told because of the disc brakes a frame couldn't be mounted. Well seeing some of these pictures it seems it can be done. I was wondering if they can be used on both bikes? I assume a different style frame would be needed between a Trek 5200 and a Fisher Tassalara. I don't think the Trek is the right bike for touring, but it is what I have for now. Either way I had a lot of fun and would like to pursue it. There are some good trails from Illinois to Wisconsin that I've read about. Here are some pics from my day out.
    IMG_2993.jpgIMG_3004.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123