ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Having second thoughts about a Superfly

So, I had finally decided that a Superfly instead of an Edge was going to be the next step for me (mainly due to the fact that I camp with kids, so I need privacy). I've been using an 8' x 10' poly tarp in a diamond pitch, and decided a wanted more compactness and coverage. I can't afford it yet, but I've started saving up for it.

In the meantime, I decided to take 11' x 11' poly tarp and set it up to see how it would work, since they're similar in size. When I did, I got overwhelmed by the size of the thing. Admittedly, I'm setting it up on my back porch, so I'm sure it seems larger than it is, but I'm getting a little worried that maybe this is too much tarp. Looking at the setup, I feel like the tarp is swallowing the hammock.

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

It's really the 2nd picture that looks like big, blue shed. However, the more that that I'm looking at them, the first one actually doesn't look that big ("doors" pulled up) and the bottom picture does "door closed" well. It may be just a matter of getting used to a bigger tarp.

I guess my real question is: does anyone regret having a superfly instead of a smaller tarp? Not so much for carry weight or bulk, but whether or not it's difficult to find enough space to pitch it?

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I have never heard of anyone having regrets about the Superfly. You should be fine.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Its not really an issue of set up space for anyone, just pitch it steeper.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think the poly tarp is a little deceiving. I think the weight and thickness of the material makes it feel bigger than it is when handling it. The SF's sides aren't as long either. Setting it up outdoors also feels different than an enclosed space. How big is the hammock in the picture? The doors of the SF are great for added protection as well as privacy. You'd be able to sell it for very little loss if you do get it and do not want to keep it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I look at your mockup and think about how much protection it affords from the elements. I've sat under the SF with a friend during a rain storm and was happy for the space.

I also see you could fit 2 hammocks under it if you went with your kid.

I also understand the internal debate on small vs large tarps.
    But putting kids into the equation - I wouldn't think twice about the SF.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    That's a ENO DN under there -- not sure where that fits on the "big-small" scale of hammocks.

And my statement about kids might have been misleading -- I'll be camping with boy scouts, so no one else will be up under there. It's more an issue of not accidentally flashing anyone.

But after looking at some SF photos on the WB site, it does look similar -- the main difference are the higher, tighter ridgeline (it was a bear to get any sort of ridgeline on the blue tarp without over-stressing the grommets). And of course there no is curve in the edges of the blue tarp (wonder if that would be a doable -- or even useful -- mod?)

Ok, thanks all -- concerns alleviated and considering how quickly they go on the FS forums, it's probably a non-issue.

Time to start saving again: $20 down, $125 to go...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I just bought a Superfly on the For Sale board. Here are some pictures with it setup in the woods near my house.

0718141649.jpg

0718141650.jpg

That is an ENO Doublenest under the tarp. Not as huge as you might think - the doors folded back make more of a hex shape.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    I just bought a Superfly on the For Sale board. Here are some pictures with it setup in the woods near my house.

0718141649.jpg

0718141650.jpg

That is an ENO Doublenest under the tarp. Not as huge as you might think - the doors folded back make more of a hex shape.
    Thanks for the pics -- looks great.

BTW, you setup is very similar to what I'm going for. Once I have the SF, next up is the KAQ Jarbidge...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    I wish my superfly was larger... about 2ft on each side would just about do it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

My personal experience and observations, space not a major issue

Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    I guess my real question is: does anyone regret having a superfly instead of a smaller tarp? Not so much for carry weight or bulk, but whether or not it's difficult to find enough space to pitch it?
    I like your photos of the poly tarp, I recommend that people just starting out get one of those and try it out, even if only in the back yard.

The "space required" for a WB superfly" or similar tarp is not that much more for than a very minimal diamond tarp. For me one of the benefits of diamond tarp if the weather is not extreme or I don't really need the privacy is that it is faster to set up, fewer guy lines, and gives me a great view of the surrounding area around my campsite without much effort to set it up in porch mode. Once I set up my superfly while camping with some "tent friends". One "friend" stopped by to inspect my site and said it looked complicated, well I felt a little deflated, I thought my "porch mode" was really cool and simple. So by comparison a diamond tarp in "porch mode" is simpler and does take a little less space. But you could take a poly tarp cut it, tape the cut edge and make a "diamond tarp" very easily, or better yet buy some Tyvek or Cuben Fiber and DIY an alternative "diamond tarp" as an alternative (cat cut edges to reduce wind flapping noise). My motto is no "best" method to camp, pros and cons to every style. I know some former special forces guys who rarely ever put a tarp over their hammock. Other folks put out a complete floor system under their hammock. One good friend buys those thick outdoor mats from RV shops and places those under his hammock, he does NOT travel light, LOL. To each their own.

Edit: somewhat obvious, but a full coverage tarp is more difficult to DIY so may be better to buy that and make a "diamond" style yourself possibly out of a more expensive fabric such as Cuben Fiber (no sew) or something similar to Gore-Tex. Then you could use a poncho or "Grizz" door on one side to add a bit of heavy wind driven rain protection just in case. HYOH, Hang Your Own Hang. that is my definition
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-23-2014 at 15:16. Reason: edit: thoughts on DIY diamond tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast