Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Here is a link to a downloadable video demonstrating entering a Hennessy Hammock.
    http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...er/hhvid01.htm
    Those are nice videos.

You can see in the second video (using the HH with a pad) how a persons hip protrudes further out when they sleep on their side and how it cold create a cold spot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

You can see in the second video (using the HH with a pad) how a persons hip protrudes further out when they sleep on their side and how it cold create a cold spot.
    I looked at that video but don't see how it can create a cold spot (when laying on your side) if you're laying on the pad.

PS. that type of video is good for newbies just getting into hammocking.
    Last edited by Ewker; 04-04-2007 at 14:39.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I looked at that video but don't see how it can create a cold spot (when laying on your side) if you're laying on the pad.

PS. that type of video is good for newbies just getting into hammocking.
    It won't really create a cold spot if you are using a pad but the hip sticking out like that will push on the under quilt creating a cold spot.

Hopefully we will have some nice videos like that soon.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    actually not. I have only seen one hammock with an underquilt before. I didn't pay any attention as to how it was attached. After I posted, it hit me those were the dreaded Hennessy Hammocks. It still doesn't look easy to get in one with the underquilt in the way.
    Sorry about that. It makes sense now that you mention forgetting about the HH.

On the subject, this maybe one of those things you have to see in person to fully get. That is the only way I fully understood the underquilt thing.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Of course you'll be warmer next time...you're in Tallahasse for gosh sakes. And it's getting warmer and warmer every day!
    Good point!

Images
    Clarification of the compression problem from a ground-dwellers' perspective: You know how a bag that is too small will not keep you warm because the size of the outer-shell trying to hold a too-big body inside compresses the insulation on top; The same thing can happen in an underquilt when your butt or shoulders sag enough to compress the insulation in an underquilt to its outer-shell (on the bottom in the case of an underquilt). Any time down or other insulation is rendered flat by compression from inside a garment, sleeping bag or quilt, a cold spot results.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Clarification of the compression problem from a ground-dwellers' perspective: You know how a bag that is too small will not keep you warm because the size of the outer-shell trying to hold a too-big body inside compresses the insulation on top; The same thing can happen in an underquilt when your butt or shoulders sag enough to compress the insulation in an underquilt to its outer-shell (on the bottom in the case of an underquilt). Any time down or other insulation is rendered flat by compression from inside a garment, sleeping bag or quilt, a cold spot results.
    That is a good way to explain it.

Dude, go find someone with a hammock and an underquilt. Have them set it up for you and you go see for yourself what we're talking about.

If you're gonna do this hammock thing, Ewker, you're gonna have to either find someone who can show you one on one, buy the stuff yourself and learn first hand. JRB posted that basically all our explanation are correct. If that isn't enough then you need someone to show first hand.

It's like trying to explain how an airplane flies. We could talk physics all day, but once you get in an airplane and go flying it makes more sense.

There is an even better analogy (birds and th bees), but I don't want to offend anyone, if you know what I mean.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234