Angry Removing SeamSil from tarp???

Hi guys,
    I need some help here. I recently received a wilderness logics OMW. I started sealing the seams with some Mcnett and things were fine...then i ran out and switched to a tube of sea to summit seamsil. 24hrs later the sealant has not dried and is still almost as tacky as when i applied. ie when i put my finger on it the sealant comes off on my fingers. I am trying to remove it with some 70% iso on a small area and am having some mild success but was wondering if this would harm the sil coating on the tarp and if you guys may have some better suggestions, I hope I have not ruined a new tarp!!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mineral spirits.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks Gargoyle! will give it a go, not sure if i can find this stuff here in Thailand, from what i gather its basically turpentine? will it harm the silnylon at all?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    For silicone that struggles to set, washing it with clean water often helps it go off. It washes the acetic acid out of the sealant and allows moisture in.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Low temps and low humidity will both slow the cure of silicone sealants. If these are low, raise both. Moisture reacts with the stabilizer allowing for curing.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mineral spirits is a common mix agent in diy seam sealer. No it wont hurt the sil tarp. Many of us do a diy blend of 100% clear silicone window and door caulk and spirits. Mix ratio is 4-5 parts spirits to 1 part silicone. Mix well till all the silicone is dissolved. Use a disposable can or jar (the spirits can dissolve thru thin plastic cups or foam cups.) A little bit goes a long way, so dont do a big batch. Approx. a teaspoon of sil to four or five teaspoons of spirits is plenty for one rl.
    Apply to seam with a small paintbrush. Allow to dry for ~24 hours. Either pitch the tarp outdoors when good weather is available for curing. Or pitch it indoors and let cure.
    The mineral spirit/silicone mix will soak thru the stitches and then the spirits evaporate, leaving a thin, nearly undetectable seal along the needle holes.
    Discard any excess, as the mix will gel in the container within 20 minutes. I use a small kids paintbrush, both to stir with and apply.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    I think your problem is that seam seal is for urethane coated nylon only. I don't think it will adhere well to sill.

Gargoyle, thanks a lot man! the mineral spirits or equivalent that i managed to find here is working quite well! With a bit of talc on top of the softened Sillicone helps to roll into balls that can be removed....tarp seems to be saved!

Nutty, its a silicone sealer made of supposedly 100% silicone that can also supposedly be used on PU...regardless i strongly advise against using it seeing what happened to me!

Has worked really well. Much easier to work with than trying to brush on silnet.

• + New Posts