View Poll Results: Do you make your own gear or buy (from member/cottage)? (CURRENT OWNERSHIP ONLY)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a DIY, Primary hammock is premade

6 22.22%
  • I have a premade, Primary hammock is DIY

6 22.22%
  • DIY only

8 29.63%
  • Premade only

5 18.52%
  • Have DIY, would prefer premade

0 0%
  • Have premade, would prefer DIY

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    In my opinion it is better than nothing, and will hopefully be more accurate than ballparking it.
    I guess I don't understand what purpose the results will serve. Why does it matter? If just curiosity, what's wrong with ballparking it? I usually say in the beginning we could count the avid DIY contributors on two hands and not have to take off you shoes. Now we would need several barefoot friends. Unless one is doing market research (traditionally not the focus of these forums) I don't know why accuracy is important.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Yeah I noticed that, but couldn't edit my poll wording.
    NO problem....hopefully most folks read the posts before answering the poll questions...unlike me!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I kind of want to respond "don't know" because I find myself rotating between the....

Like canoebie, I have commercially made hammocks ( BB , ENO ect ) and DIY's that I use back and forth depending on my mood and the conditions.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have both commercial and DIY but moving forward I will probably focusing a lot on DIY. I can't justify spending $500+ on quilts that I can make especially since my wife usually goes camping with me and she won't sleep in a hammock overnight.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I think I am to blame for bushwhacker's curiosity. I have a feeling that was my post he was quoting. I was referring to a new tarp/bug net design thingy. I made a comment that "more than most" do DIY. I should first clarify that I think I was overzealous in my statement; Pgibson said it much better with saying there is a strong DIY focus here. I would still say that HF has a much stronger DIY community than the camping community on a whole (based on percentage, not overall volume of course). And I think that is probably due to many folks making their custom gear earlier on, based on need, which has given a push, in the form of encouragement and knowledge to others, such as myself, to believe that I could make things for myself instead of buying everything at REI or EMS. However, we do also have wonderful cottage vendors who practically make gear at almost DIY cost with amazing craftsmanship (as I stated in that post before).
    As far as this poll is concerned, I also don't know how to answer it because I have made my own bug net, whoopies, and other small things. I also have materials to make JCP puffer quilts (when I am confident enough in my sewing and ripping). However I haven't made my own tarp or Hammock yet (though I have modified mine), but I believe that is a simply a matter of time, skill, and need before that happens.
    Last edited by pinballwizard; 03-26-2014 at 13:51.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I think I am to blame for bushwhacker's curiosity. I have a feeling that was my post he was quoting. I was referring to a new tarp/bug net design thingy. I made a comment that "more than most" do DIY. I should first clarify that I think I was overzealous in my statement; Pgibson said it much better with saying there is a strong DIY focus here. I would still say that HF has a much stronger DIY community than the camping community on a whole (based on percentage, not overall volume of course). And I think that is probably due to many folks making their custom gear earlier on, based on need, which has given a push, in the form of encouragement and knowledge to others, such as myself, to believe that I could make things for myself instead of buying everything at REI or EMS. However, we do also have wonderful cottage vendors who practically make gear at almost DIY cost with amazing craftsmanship (as I stated in that post before).
    As far as this poll is concerned, I also don't know how to answer it because I have made my own bug net, whoopies, and other small things. I also have materials to make JCP puffer quilts (when I am confident enough in my sewing and ripping). However I haven't made my own tarp or Hammock yet (though I have modified mine), but I believe that is a simply a matter of time, skill, and need before that happens.
    That is correct. Although I can appreciate the simple beauty of unverified estimates, I have a strong compulsion to look for the truth.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    That is correct. Although I can appreciate the simple beauty of unverified estimates, I have a strong compulsion to look for the truth.
    I gathered that from your fabric comparison sheet, which I love
    So, which category would I fall under in the poll? I figure I, out of all people, owe you a vote!!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I gathered that from your fabric comparison sheet, which I love
    Thank you! I'm glad you find it useful or appreciate it for other reasons!

So, which category would I fall under in the poll? I figure I, out of all people, owe you a vote!!
    I would say either premade only or premade would prefer DIY.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Viva la number crunchers. Having little interest in raw statistics I have a shallow perspective of their use. Usually my mind just glazes over and I wait for some point to spring forth. Yes, we have an avid DIY community, which I take some pride in having helped develop even if my expertise is overshadowed by other more recent members. My question was not intended to be confrontational, but as many who know me personally can attest, tact is not strong point.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The banter about statistics being accurate in this pole reminded me of an old Todd Snider song. Enjoy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast