Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

End channel hammock turned into whipped end help?

Hey everyone!
    So the last hammock I had made was a hollow end channel hammock and I guess I messed it up because it's tilted to one side. So instead of buying a new hammock I decided to try a whipped end hammock I never gave it a show so I did yesterday. All I did was gathered the ends and used my woopie slings and larks headed my woopies onto my gathered end just one larks head and I tried it out last night it didn't slip or move at all and held me perfectly, now their are a lot of ways to whip hammocks and some are complicated and the way I did mine was extremely simple and it worked last night is their any reason I should change how I have mine and make it one of the more complicated ways of whipping?

Thanks guys!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    My ENO doublenest is a channel hammock but when I switched to whoopies I also just larks headed them on the ends. It has worked just fine. I know some people will keep a small piece of line in the channel to make sure the larks head doesn't slip but it has always seemed plenty tight on mine.
    -Tim

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    You're right, there ARE many ways to whip the ends of a gathered-end hammock. The way you whip, or tie off, the ends really doesn't matter. Some use less line, some are neater and cleaner looking. Some create a doughnut shape so that a ridgeline can be threaded through and attached to your suspension in a more 'permanent' manner.

From reading what you did last night, you simply bunched the ends and larks headed your whoopie around the bunch, without tying off the ends. So when you remove the whoopie the gather comes undone? you really didn't whip the ends then, just gathered them.

You can try a few different gathering methods to get different lays. Folding all the way across is one way; folding in a W pattern meeting in the middle is another; simply bunching into a ball works too! You can experiment to see which you like better. using zip ties is an easy way to go from one gather method to another without having to tie knots every time. One thing I do is to always pull the ends tighter than the middle. The magic number that works for me is 3'' on each end. This creates a canoe shape in the hammock and keeps your feet from easily falling out as well as your topquilt. However, this crates some tension behind your knee when using the hammock as a chair, but the benefits out weight the cost for me.

Find a gather method you like, then whip the end so that it doesn't come un-gathered. The advantage of that being you will be able to swap out suspensions easily, without changing the lay of your hammock. OR, since your hammock has a nice channel sewn on the end, thread the whoopie through the channel and larks head it like Tim did above...
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Standard webbing
    I've been thinking of doing something like this. Anyone have a video of different gathers and whips to show their advantages and disadvantages?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you don't hit the ground and are comfortable, you're doing it right

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    You're right, there ARE many ways to whip the ends of a gathered-end hammock. The way you whip, or tie off, the ends really doesn't matter. Some use less line, some are neater and cleaner looking. Some create a doughnut shape so that a ridgeline can be threaded through and attached to your suspension in a more 'permanent' manner.

From reading what you did last night, you simply bunched the ends and larks headed your whoopie around the bunch, without tying off the ends. So when you remove the whoopie the gather comes undone? you really didn't whip the ends then, just gathered them.

You can try a few different gathering methods to get different lays. Folding all the way across is one way; folding in a W pattern meeting in the middle is another; simply bunching into a ball works too! You can experiment to see which you like better. using zip ties is an easy way to go from one gather method to another without having to tie knots every time. One thing I do is to always pull the ends tighter than the middle. The magic number that works for me is 3'' on each end. This creates a canoe shape in the hammock and keeps your feet from easily falling out as well as your topquilt. However, this crates some tension behind your knee when using the hammock as a chair, but the benefits out weight the cost for me.

Find a gather method you like, then whip the end so that it doesn't come un-gathered. The advantage of that being you will be able to swap out suspensions easily, without changing the lay of your hammock. OR, since your hammock has a nice channel sewn on the end, thread the whoopie through the channel and larks head it like Tim did above...
    Yes you are understand what I am saying exactly what I did with my hammock, okay so I should actually whip the hammock ends and then attach my woopies to the whipping somehow that way the hammock always stays the same just I can swap out different suspensions?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Typically the whipping helps give some kind of knob or bump for added insurance that overtime the suspension wont slip. If you have a channel and want to easily go to a whipped style look at Knotty's instructions for warbonnet style whipping. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=knotty

Basically run a cord through the channel to bundle it all up, then wrap the ends of that cord around the hammock material once or twice and finish with a square knot.

Otherwise you can just do normal whipping where you wrap it in cord and tuck the ends. Doesn't really make a difference.
    Most "complicated" part of whipping is unnecessary little tricks to tweak things... don't let it overwhelm you its not really necessary, just things you can mess with if you want to over complicate it. :P Most of the time its pulling sections of material to create tension that acts as chords to support one part of the hammock or another (i.e. pulling the corners of your gathered material to give the hammock tighter edges that lift the side material to create a lip)

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Seems to me that it would take less material to just fold the misguided end over so that it was square/properly adjusted and sew a new channel.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    The only reason I whip the ends of my hammock seperately instead of just gathering and Larks heading is because I pull the Whoopies off from time to time and shove the hammock in the washer. I either then swap to a different while that ones in the wash OR just slip the suspension back on. Must makes it a couple minute swap. Worked great two weekends ago when my grandson overflowed his diaper. Quick switch and a diaper change and we were back to bed.

There is no one way to Hammock. Find the method that works best for you. Vary it according to conditions. Sleep well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alrighty we'll how ever I ended up doing it last night seemed to work so I'm happy with how it is lol if it would have slipped I would have like a fix foot fall into my floor rofl thanks guys!
    Paragon Fury

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast