Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Banana Hut a DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Need help for the cold

Hello everyone,
    Im just starting to learn to navigate my way around this forum. So this is my first post.
    All my camping in a hammock and even the do I dare say it tent, has been in much warmer climate than I am in now. This will be my first winter coming up that Ill brave the cold in my hammock and really looking forward to it. How ever all I ever used for warmth was a foam pad and a 30 degree bag and I don't think that will cut it now. I plan on buying a new top and under quilt in the next few months. Now when ordering the gear do I want the two at the same rating? Are can the under quilt be at a warmer degree rating than the top sense heat rises? Like a 0 degree top quilt and a 20 degree under. Thanks for any help in advance and any cold weather tip are greatly appreciated

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I keep a 20* Hammock Gear UQ on year round with a UQ protector. For cold weather, I use a 0* TQ from Underground Quilts. When it warms up, I switch to the 30* TQ from Underground. Nights are cold here and temps in the 30's are not uncommon up high, even in August.
    I think you're looking at owning two full sets of quilts where you are.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You want the under quilt to be warmer (thicker) than the top quilt. You can wear more clothes to bed, even lay you're bandana over you for extra warmth. But, anything you place under you gets crushed and therefore loses it ability to insulate. There's not much of a way to make an under quilt warmer, so go for the coldest temperature that you will ever camp in.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    There are several fine vendors here who will give you the straight dope on what you need. I recommend contacting one or two direct.
    Paul (and Missy, the lovely Mrs. Paul) from Underground Quilts, live in Michigan so they know something about the weather conditions you're dealing with, and Paul was tremendously helpful and patient while I figured out the right set up for my wife and me.
    Good luck and hey... welcome to Hammock Forums!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Keep your butt warm. That is the first rule of successful Hanging, or at least that has been my experience.

The majority of the uninitiated learn that lesson their first time out. I always get a kick out of how sheepish they are admitting they almost froze their hind end off.

I live part of the time in a very cold area, one thing I always do is be sure what I am sleeping on is well insulated. Cold air rises, so you want to be sure the cold air is blocked from your body. More insulation under you than on top. If you do the same with your bed at home you will be better off in the winter. My under quilt has a lower temperature rating than my TQ. I then adjust what I am wearing for bed clothing.

There is also the fiddle factor of not wanting to fiddle with top bedding when you get back in your hammock after a nocturnal exit and re-entry.

I am not totally in this centrury, I still carry a wool thick felted wool blanket, just incase. IT IS HEAVY, however I have gotten caught in a few blizzards, I want my wool with me. Just me being old fashioned, and set in my way. Your gear can save your life, so choose carefully, do not get into a situation you are not prepared for. adventures are supposed to be fun, it is good to be able to tell the story later. Spend the $ to get the best possible gear for your adventures. Research, then buy, very carefully. Some gear is very expensive and delicate, I would pass on delicate until you have a lot of experience. You want reliable. Your clothing is also a factor to consider. Warm butt is the idea to remember.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I think the biggest mistake new winter hangers make is they drop to a new low temp too quickly. Research and other people's experience can only take you so far. One needs to know their gear, their body, etc... intimately. Being cold at 30* is no fun and can be a restless sleep. Jumping to subzero can be deadly. My advice when you get you new quilts is to use them. Slowly move down the mercury level so you know how your gear works, the little tricks to maximize its effectiveness and how your own body deals with the colder temps in the hammock. With experience you will know what works for you, what doesn't, etc... Some gear complements other gear better than others for certain people. In time you will have the knowledge to use your gear at more extreme temps. Hammocks in subzero is a lot of fun once you figure it out for yourself. Go slow. (not sure if your desire for a cold weather setup included the subzero, but I thought others might be considering it.) Happy Hanging

-dT

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Banana Hut a DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Ducktape
    Some good advise I plan on taking it slow. My lowest temp at best was maybe low 30s and that was just until the sun came up and pushed back into the 70s. That Florida camping. Now I look at below 0 were Im at. Oh the fun of learning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Banana Hut a DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Timberr
    Ill look into those venders you mentioned. Noticed your near Orlando. I was to Titusville east coast

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Banana Hut a DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I believe your right about having to own 2 sets. Either that are have a narrow window to be able to go out and hang and that just wont work for me.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Your backside is most important!!! For winter, get a 0* UQ with overstuff, and a 0* TQ w/o overstuff
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast