WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Good idea.
    Another disadvantage with a soft shackle compared to a metal attachment is that soft shackles are so light that they can easily get blown away be a wind gust when not attached. I overcome this by always carrying a spare and make a point of always keeping them attached when not in use.

They do float so you don't have to worry about them sinking if they fall into water.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    This would be for a gathered end hammock and presently I run the closed loop end through the channel and larks head onto itself, carabiner or soft shackle between the tree straps and adjustable loop. I wouldn't want to run the adjustable part of a whoopie through the channel as the friction would wear on the fabric.

Thinking this through there is one scenario that seems plausible, interested in others.

tree strap->soft shackle fixed loop portion of whoopie->whoopie adjustable loop->continuous loop through hammock channel->hammock.

As the concern is avoiding loosing a soft shackle another idea would be to integrate it into the closed loop through the channel instead of being part of the whoopie.

regular whoopie with larks head of closed loop onto tree strap->whoopie adjustable loop->a figure 8 (two loop - one closed through channel, other integrated soft shackle to attach to whoopie).

Actually for the second option a decent sized soft shackle with a bend ran through the channel and larks headed to itself could act as the closed loop. I had previously thought about simply opening the soft shackle and running it through the channel but would be concerned about it accidentally slipping out of the channel later when open and having to rethread through the channel in the dark with rain or mosquitos.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineSuspension View Post
    This would be for a gathered end hammock and presently I run the closed loop end through the channel and larks head onto itself, carabiner or soft shackle between the tree straps and adjustable loop. I wouldn't want to run the adjustable part of a whoopie through the channel as the friction would wear on the fabric.
    That's how me and my hiking partners do it. I have been using (Edwards Improved) soft shackles for my connector for a couple years now and have not had any issues loosing them. I do see the potential though.
    You could also leash the shackle to the adjustable loop of a whoopie (or the the fixed loop at the tree end of a UCR) using a thin strand from the Amsteel or Dynaglide.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Phantom grappler has more potential in this regard without the need for extra lines.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro (First Hammock)
    This is by far my favorite way to make a soft shackle. Uses more line, but stronger than a diamond knot (and for me a lot easier).
    http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/improvedsoftshackle.pdf

For background on the strength, there's a good description here
    http://www.bethandevans.com/load.htm

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiusnc View Post
    This is by far my favorite way to make a soft shackle. Uses more line, but stronger than a diamond knot (and for me a lot easier).
    http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/improvedsoftshackle.pdf

For background on the strength, there's a good description here
    http://www.bethandevans.com/load.htm
    Tac Blades has an excellent tutorial video on making this soft shackle here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI

I've made several and they hold me up (5'11" 250) plus there is NO WAY that stopper's coming out. Great innovation.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    [QUOTE=lonetracker;231309]new nacrabiner ideas. made a handle for the whipped cinch wind lock section.i used a nail knot(i think)with 4 loops.after this was tied i connected the leftover ends together as you would a continuous loop.you could also tie the ends together with an overhand knot.this handle is going to make it very easy to open and close this nacrabiner with cold fingers, in dark conditions,arthritus,ect.i call it the whipzip

Attachment 9183 Attachment 9184

I am new to almost all of what is available on the HF.
    That said, a couple of questions.

The yellow part of your nacrabiner, what material, type and size? Two seperate pieces, tied in two loops, or one piece, looped around, then ends connected?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks Jeff! I'm looking for tutorials to tie the diamond/lanyard knot. I've seen a few but haven't found "the one" that makes it obvious how to do it.

I know this is old, but for me the confusing part were the last two steps that brought the tag ends up the middle...

...until I realized that each tag end had to wrap around one leg of the standing loop before going up the middle.
    Last edited by NulodPBall; 08-07-2016 at 15:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839