heat reflective breathable fabric?

What's available as a heat reflective breathable fabric? DWR type outer finish would be a plus. I'm very interested in the stuff they make the SOL escape bivvy's out of - is that available anywhere by the yard? Anything out there comparable? I've read the threads about Temptrol - doesn't seem durable enough for clothing/quilt use.
    Thanks

I've been looking for a fabric with the same quality. I think that taking the escape lite and sacrificing it to make a UQ would be the way to go. Not the cheapest but likely very effective.

Another option is heatsheets.com you could always put it under the nylon to add the radiant heat reflective layer.

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Looking

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Looking
    Doesn't have any dwr but I bet it breathes good.

Ken

The Columbia omni heat looks interesting, but darn that's expensive. The heatsheets silver lining material looks like the AMK thermolite material. Not exactly what I was looking for, but promising. They're located near where I live, so maybe I can get some samples easily.
    My initial thought was a material for the outside of a quilt that was dwr outside and reflective inside, with the thought of using thinner climashield insulation and maximizing heat return. Maybe the silver lining material can be the inner liner, but I was hoping to not have metallic or "plasticky" material on the inner side.
    Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    After a great amount of time punching hundreds of holes with a threadless injector and up to an electric office punch, I never was able to solve the condensation problem.
    I even got an entire roll donated to the cause of Tyvek aluminized on one side. I gave that hundred of holes also. Then I tried slits parallel every 2" over my chest and still sweated and condensated between the slits (Pre- Stephenson warmlite VB jacket).

The only answer I have yet found in the stephenson VB jacket which gives me a sensation of sweating before I actually sweat so I can vent of some heat. MY hypothetical source with the aluminized material that does breath says the commercial sleeping bag people will not use the material since they make their thick down bags and the military testing procedures are decades and decades old and can measure the benefit properly. Hypothetically, the special operators of a certain army love the stuff.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Back when people were trying Thermoflect, the synthetic fabric they use in hospitals, I also tried using a thread injector (minus thread) to put hundreds - possibly thousands - of holes in the outer cover of a climashield top quilt. The inner layer was silk. It breathes some, but perhaps not enough.

More to the point, I think it was Knotty who pointed out that radiant heat energy is blocked by opaque objects. In other words, if you want a shiny fabric to reflect your body heat back to you, the shiny surface should be next to your skin.

Sfire, maybe you should try a shiny vapor barrier.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    What WV said!
    I wear a Stephenson's Warm Lite hooded VB jacket (about $90) next to my skin and a Columbia Omni Heat(aluminized thermal reflective dots) thin stretchy and snug hooded fisherman's jacket (about $40) over that. Very warm and since both have full zips, easy to vent when needed.
    Paul
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    This would seem to work... Breathable Aire-TF™ from AFM. Just have to figure out where to buy it. I have found the non breathable stuff they have but cant seem to find Breathable Aire-TF™. If anyone finds it For Sale, please let me know.

thanks
    SG

• + New Posts