Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & mule tape

Cool Hanger in Colorado

I am new to Hammock Forums and have already learned a wealth of information thanks to this site. My first experience with a hammock was a rope/string style backpacking hammock from REI back in the early 90's. I would do backpacking trips into the San Francisco Peaks just outside of Flagstaff, Arizona. I loved the fact that I could pitch a campsite onto a slope and avoid the saddles (which were often windy). Using a pad was my only means of insulation underneath and my shelter was a REI Goretex bivy sack.

I moved to Ohio (wonderful people but not inspiring for backpacking for me) where my backpacking/camping gear stayed in storage. Now back out West (Denver region) and I have been fitting in about 4 or more short trips each year. I bought an ENO SingleNest and have been using it with a pad, then a DIY poncho under quilt. While my setup was not perfect yet for me, I quickly remembered the benefits of a hammock. I now have a OES MacCat Deluxe tarp (very nice) with a HG Phoenix 20* under quilt and a WL Snipe hammock on their way. For suspension I am using DIY whoopie slings with tree straps and DutchWare accessories (I can't believe how small and useful his gear is).

My focus is moving towards ultralight backpacking (though I am not there yet, my pack weight is below 20* without consumables) but I also enjoy car camping trips and having just bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon I look forward to using that to get me deep into the mountains. I also have gotten into hunting big game (last year was my first elk hunt)...no...didn't get one yet.

I big shout out to Derek Hansen, author of The Ultimate Hang, for writing such a great book and hosting a great site of his own. Hopefully I will have a chance to meet him on my next Flagstaff trip. I have learned a lot (with more to learn) from him and appreciate what he and everyone here and on many other great websites have done to grow this style of camping. Another shout out to Shug who's YouTube videos have been very informative and entertaining to me. He is an absolute character and I imagine a fun guy to hang with.

I think hammock camping it is the best way to 'leave no trace' and having grown up in the desert of Southern New Mexico I have an appreciation of what we do to impact our environment.

Happy hanging to you all. Explore your world!

Doug

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You're going to love hanging in CO. Link up with OutandBack and Slowanderer. They can show you the CO ropes!

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from northern New-Mexico

• + New Posts