YAAAAY! I'd love some info on a sewing machine model.

So I am one step closer to finally building my first hammock... FINALLY! I was able to get myself a brand new Singer 8763, the Curvy model, wait for it..... FOR FREE! Gotta love points programs! Air Miles has just saved me over $500 bucks for a few more items for this coming camping season.

Anyone out there have the Singer Curvy model? I know it's all electronic, and I would've rather had one with no electronic features, but hey, free is free. What's your guys' opinion on it?
    Follow these simple rules: Rule 9, Rule 11, Rule 16, Rule 44, Rule 44, Rule 51, and Rule 69.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadNuke View Post
    So I am one step closer to finally building my first hammock... FINALLY! I was able to get myself a brand new Singer 8763, the Curvy model, wait for it..... FOR FREE! Gotta love points programs! Air Miles has just saved me over $500 bucks for a few more items for this coming camping season.

Anyone out there have the Singer Curvy model? I know it's all electronic, and I would've rather had one with no electronic features, but hey, free is free. What's your guys' opinion on it?
    Welcome to the world of sewing. I was looking at sewing machines about this time last year. I read up on some stuff here and made up my mind to make sure I got one of those old boat anchors with a cast iron or aluminum housing and all metal drive train. Wound up with a Brother Galaxie which I used to make my first 2 hammocks, various dinky bags to get experience sewing nylon, and then my first (and so far only) down underquilt. While I was working on my underquilt I saw a free Kenmore machine on CL and picked that one up too. The Kenmore is probably older than my grandmother but it still runs after a little cleanup and a re-wire. I'm in the process of refinishing the cabinet, it came in its original mahogany cabinet so I've got some very nice looking wood to work with. That said, it could probably use a rebuild on the motor yet, but I'd still take it over my Brother for the long haul. The reason being that the Brother has a plastic crown gear inside it that is cracked in 3 places. It is holding together for now but if it falls apart, that is the end of it. The Kenmore is solid steel all the way through, the worst it can do is wear down and that can easily be prevented with fresh machine oil and some rubbing alcohol to clean before oilings.

So, my opinion on the current era Singers? I'm not a fan. They're light, cheap, portable, and inexpensive. They're designed to break, it's called Planned Obsolescence and it has been a business practice for a while now. Companies were making their products so well that, like the Kenmore machine I now have, they weren't ever needing to be replaced. They'd sell the initial item once and it would/could serve 3+ generations of users instead of at least 1 per generation like you'd have with the current Singers.

All in all, though, the Singer you bought will probably do just fine sewing nylon, polyester, or other materials as long as you don't try to go through too many layers and it will likely make a fantastic machine to learn on/with. Even my Kenmore has its limits in terms of what it will sew through but I'm not looking to do anything like heavy denim or leather. That would require an actually heavy-duty professional grade sewing machine specifically designed for leather and I'm not in the market for a 3-4 figure price tag on a sewing machine.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I bought a Featherlite something or other from Walmart for $70. That was 3 years ago and it's still going strong. I've made 7 hammock, 2 tarps, several sets of tree straps, two hammock socks, and an underquilt. Frankly, I didn't expect it to last this long.

I wonder if that's why Singer gives a decent warranty? 5 years on the head, 3 on motor, electronics and related stuff, and a year on small stuff like light bulbs. It was free, so im not really complaining. Hopefully it holds up for awhile. Haven't had a chance to give it a run yet, but hopefully I can get my hands on my mother in laws old *** Singer one of these days, with the cast iron legs and the manual foot operation. The thing is a work of art! This particular model is in their mid range line, so I guess I will find out when I get it up and running.
    Follow these simple rules: Rule 9, Rule 11, Rule 16, Rule 44, Rule 44, Rule 51, and Rule 69.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Simple - it is free, and enjoy using it. Making hammocks, tarps, etc doesnt need all the bells and whistles, just a person a with a passion to learn and enjoys DIYitis.

Personally, I started with a Brother sewing machine I picked up at Costco, which had tons of options, patterns, etc - but all I used was a straight stitch, bar tact stitch, and some adjustments on how close to the edge of the foot I wanted to sew. But after a nice find at a yard sale, my old 1950's Singer 201-2 is my go to machine. I trust it with soft ripstop and no-see-um, to tree straps and multiple layers where folds, zippers, rolled hems all converge together sometimes. The thing is a beauty, so I leave it out for the style. The plastic brother stays in its plastic case, on the shelf until needed.

Either machine will do what I want, with patience, and lack of forcing it when you blantantly know it difficult with that many layers.

Enjoy, and grab a cup of your favorite beverage and watch some ramblin rev

• + New Posts