Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Lake Vesuvius Backpacking Trail in Ohio

Thought I'd share my first attempt at a YouTube video of my recent 2-night solo trip, in which I got to test out my Hammock Gear 0 degree Incubator for the first time, as well as test the new Sawyer Squeeze Mini (both worked great!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DvWXTLFQCI

Unfortunately, the trip ended poorly with significant vandalism done to my vehicle at the trailhead. If you plan to hike this trail soon, I'd direct you to my discussion of that on an Ohio backpacking forum: http://www.backpackohio.com/forum/in...p?topic=1531.0

I'll get over the vandalism soon, but will retain the fun memories of the hike -- including not seeing another person on the trail over the course of 45 hours hiking and camping.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Glad you enjoyed your hike but hate to hear about the vandalism. That's a real shame
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Glad you had a good time testing gear!

That's messed up about your vehicle. The thought about vandalism has come across my mind now and then; luckily none so far. I also try to hide stuff or keep less in my car in case they break in, but you can only do so much. Thinking of all the places I go, there's really no nearby hotel, campground or other busy place to park so I just have to take my chances.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hello drchip,

That cave would have been fun to explore, did you go in for a look? Nice camp spot, very dry around there. Moony nights in the hammock are great. Thanks for the trip report, looks like you had a good time!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I enjoyed watching your trip.
    Looked like you had a pretty light kit - what pack were you carrying?

The vandalism was just sad.

Now I'm off to watch figure 8 bus crashes on your channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    That cave would have been fun to explore, did you go in for a look?
    Sorry for the slow response -- out of internet access for a few days. Yes, had a chance to get down into the recess cave. Took a nice shower in the waterfall!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I enjoyed watching your trip. Looked like you had a pretty light kit - what pack were you carrying?
    I'm using the GoLite Jam 70: http://www.golite.com/Jam-70L-Pack-Unisex-P46813.aspx. Lots of space, but relatively light at 2 lbs, and little weight penalty vs. much smaller versions such as the Jam 50 (only 1 ounce lighter). Everything for this trip, including consumables, was about 25 lbs. Not ultralight by any means, but I'm down about 10 pounds from my weight last year. I've been doing it by going with a wood burning stove (Solo stove) and titanium pot, a lightweight water filtering system (Sawyer Squeeze Mini), down top and bottom quilts from Hammock Gear, and just more smarts as I learn what I need to carry and what I don't. I could have probably saved another pound or two by bringing fewer spare clothes. Overall, a very manageable weight given the relative lack of elevation gains here in Ohio.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    25lb total is about where I'm at too. I just can't seem to shave any more comfortably.

I noticed this on the forest service website: Carry a water supply with you. Do not drink the water in our springs and streams, it is not safe due to past mining practices in our watersheds.

I wonder if that's just a blanket statement for everything around there out of caution, or just specific streams? The forest is spread over a large area, so it probably varies. Sounds like a good time to get my activated carbon filter out just for peace of mind.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    25lb total is about where I'm at too. I just can't seem to shave any more comfortably.

I noticed this on the forest service website: Carry a water supply with you. Do not drink the water in our springs and streams, it is not safe due to past mining practices in our watersheds.

I wonder if that's just a blanket statement for everything around there out of caution, or just specific streams? The forest is spread over a large area, so it probably varies. Sounds like a good time to get my activated carbon filter out just for peace of mind.
    Lots of fracking. I'd consider caching water if possible.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

The water testing that was done that supports this statement is form the 1930's. It is a blanket statement and the USFS is not doing active testing for potability of water. That said, there are streams that are orange with oil slicks visible. Another concern all over Ohio is agricultural runoff. Filters don't get those contaminants either. For a weekend you can find decent water if needed. But I do cache water on the way in to Lake V, Archers Fork, Morgan Sisters etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast