Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.

*HELP*...need quick ideas

I am a recent hammock convert, and haven't had a bad nights sleep yet...but all nights were 35+ degree nights. Long story short, a buddy and I are hiking the 50mi Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana in five days. As we have gotten closer to the date, the weather outlook has gotten worse. Started with 3 of the 4 nights being 35ish, then it changed to 25ish, and now the models are showing 15-20 degrees at night. I am scrambling to make this trip still happen, but I do not want to jeopardize safety just because I want to use my hammock. I am looking for ideas to make hanging in this weather feasible on short notice. I have a side zip HH ASYM EXP., a Thermarest Ridgeline pad that I also fitted with a DIY "pillowcase" of 2 layers of insultex. I have a 20 degree synthetic bag. Obviously, layers, etc... Will also help. I am swamped at work until we leave so any DIY project is probably out, and buying more expensive gear at this point seems mute (finding it, getting it, etc...), and along with that, most of the trekking we do currently is true 3 season. Any quick ideas, experiences, suggestions, and stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    If you have a army surplus in your area you could get a poncho liner for an uq and if you do not have something for a over cover you could use another ponch liner. With what you already have this should work. But if you have any douts then don't try it. Safety is first.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Is the insultex effective when compressed? I was under the impression that it had to be uncompressed for it to work. Wondering how effective that will be.

I doubt you can get an underquilt in that short of notice. JacksRbetter says they have items in stock, you might be able to have them 2-day something to you. That's going to be $250+ for those temps though. If that's too pricy, and it is for me, you might consider a CCF pad instead. Many outdoor stores carry a thermarest solite or solar something pad, basically a CCF pad (get the large so it'll be 24") with a reflective surface on one side. Those are around $50. The reflective nature of the coating reflects the infared heat back to you. It's $50, but supposedly it does work and saves you from having to carry another reflective surface like reflectix

You can double up on pads and increase their warmth. If it were me, I'd take the existing thermarest and pair it with another pad, like the solar light or a cheap CCF and a reflectix type sun shade. You can get a large "truck" size at wally world for about $8. I have a fleece bag liner that I put my pad and reflectix in so they stay together during the night. The fleece also helps with soaking up any condensation from the pad.

Edit: I just camped when the low was 33-35 using a CCF pad, reflectix, and a 30o bag as an overquilt. I had on 3 layers and used a hot water bottle and was still a little cool. for the temps you're talking about, I'd consider doubleing pads or an underquilt. A poncho liner is more weight than another ccf pad, and not very warm, and you have to play with how to hang it. when it's 15o outside is not the time to experiment.

Use the water bottle trick to stay warm. Also get yourself some of the large hand warmers. Should be on sale this time of year, and they'll be good supplimental heat. Get a balaclava, it'll keep your head and face warm...makes a huge difference. take some thin gloves, I find that makes a difference when it gets into the low 30's and below.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I had another idea, but wanted to keep my origional post intact because this is all together different. Since you have a hennessy, you could get their "Super Shelter" It comes with a bottom cover kind of thing that you can place an included foam pad in that functions like an underquilt. Then your insultex could be used in conjunction with that between your hammock and the undercover. That would be fairly light-weight, and you can probably get one in your timeframe. I'd still use the thermarest pad along with that.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A body length piece of 2' wide Reflectix for a pad will add a fair amount of heat. Rolls up fairly tight and weighs very little. $25 for a 25 ft roll at Lowes.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppypicklebeer View Post
    I am a recent hammock convert, and haven't had a bad nights sleep yet...but all nights were 35+ degree nights. Long story short, a buddy and I are hiking the 50mi Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana in five days. As we have gotten closer to the date, the weather outlook has gotten worse. Started with 3 of the 4 nights being 35ish, then it changed to 25ish, and now the models are showing 15-20 degrees at night. I am scrambling to make this trip still happen, but I do not want to jeopardize safety just because I want to use my hammock. I am looking for ideas to make hanging in this weather feasible on short notice. I have a side zip HH ASYM EXP., a Thermarest Ridgeline pad that I also fitted with a DIY "pillowcase" of 2 layers of insultex. I have a 20 degree synthetic bag. Obviously, layers, etc... Will also help. I am swamped at work until we leave so any DIY project is probably out, and buying more expensive gear at this point seems mute (finding it, getting it, etc...), and along with that, most of the trekking we do currently is true 3 season. Any quick ideas, experiences, suggestions, and stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!
    Insultex does not compress much, but it works really well. If you can stand the bulk, it delivers warmth. The only question I have is about your tarp. The 20 degree F bag is okay. I just wonder about your wind protection.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.
    I was messing around with the insultex, bought some just to try from diygearsupply....I folded over and sewed a pillowcase for my pad to slide in and out of...so far the compression has not been an issue. It has been an immediate temperature difference

Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.
    Thank you for all the feedback...we are going to watch the weather and I am going to try a few things. I know I shouldn't experiment in weather like that, but I can't help myself. We are changing our thru plans, and decided to piggyback vehicles each day, so we won't be too far from a vehicle if it gets too cold. Thank you again...till next time

• + New Posts