Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Smile I finally get the whole Underquilt thing!

I've been sleeping full-time in a Mayan hammock for, I don't know, maybe a month now? Anyway, last night, I was playing around with my gathered end, ripstop nylon camping hammock (DH Freebird), just to feel how different it feels compared to my Mayan hammock, and it occurred to me, I could try using it like a double layer to hold my quilt under my Mayan hammock. So, I tried it.

For the past few weeks, I have been using my sleeping bag (fully zipped around me) and then putting my comforter on top of that. I keep my place cool (59˚F), so sometimes I did feel a slight chill on my back, and definitely needed the extra comforter to stay warm. But the chill was enough that it did strain the muscles in my back slightly, simply from being constricted from trying to stay warm. This, the fact that the hammock was more comfortable when I laid directly on it, and the fact that I didn't like the idea of using my sleeping bag on my "bed" (made me feel like I was in survival mode) kept me thinking I'd figure out a better blanket set-up, but I wasn't in a hurry.

So in placing the camping hammock under the Mayan (hooked my whoopies on the Mayan's loops) and the comforter between the two, I simply placed a cotton sheet (for that cottony goodness feel) under me and laid down, adjusted (stretched out) the "underquilt" beneath me, and used my sleeping bag as a top quilt, with nothing else on top. And OH MY GOODNESS!

The difference was astounding! I was much warmer, much more comfortable, and slept much deeper, without waking up at all. I also didn't feel the need to sleep on my side, I was that comfortable.

I mean it took me 2 minutes to set this up, so it's not pretty. The queen sized comforter ended up all just bunched up underneath me, as opposed to smooth, when I woke up, the camping hammock wasn't in place as well as when I first adjusted it, and my ridgeline from the Freebird, of course, was present, although on the side.... But, I can only imagine if I set up something with a better, more reliable design, how pleasant my regular sleep will be. The only thing I'll have to watch out for is sleeping in like I did today! 10 hours! Ha ha!

I also have a "summer" duvet, so I'll bring that out to use, and finally replace my sleeping bag, which will make it feel more like a luxurious bed.

I'm very excited! The only problem is I'm probably going to want to set myself up with an underquilt for my Freebird sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 03-11-2014 at 11:19.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tad pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    I came to the same realization the exact same way you did!!! I have a hammock set up in my bedroom and finally sandwiched a sleeping bag/comforter between two hammocks and became a believer! Just bought my first UQ (HG Incubator) and can't wait to test it in low temps!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Oooh, lucky you, kdub! I've been eyeing those incubators, but financially, I'll have to wait just a bit. Let us know how it works out for you!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Someday, I will break down and pony up the money for a good UQ...until that day comes, I make do with my CCF pad without too much to complain about.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you only want to use the underquilt indoors for your Mayan and don't care about weight and volume, have a look at Arrowhead Equipment's full-length "New River" underquilt. They can make it oversize (you need to contact them), which is a good thing if you want to use it with a big hammock.

I considered ordering the New River for my Brazilian, but ended up going with a European quilt maker due to the shipping costs and custom fees. But I have heard only good things about the New River.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Someday, I will break down and pony up the money for a good UQ...until that day comes, I make do with my CCF pad without too much to complain about.
    Yeah, I hear ya. It'll be quite a while before I'll have extra cash for a quilt (I'm still saving for a tarp!), but at least I know it's something I'll appreciate when I do get there. In the meantime, I'll rig something up that I'm sure will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you only want to use the underquilt indoors for your Mayan and don't care about weight and volume, have a look at Arrowhead Equipment's full-length "New River" underquilt. They can make it oversize (you need to contact them), which is a good thing if you want to use it with a big hammock.

I considered ordering the New River for my Brazilian, but ended up going with a European quilt maker due to the shipping costs and custom fees. But I have heard only good things about the New River.
    I've considered this too, but I too would have to pay for higher shipping rate, customs and at the moment the Canadian dollar isn't worth much. Maybe by the time I have some extra money, the dollar will have come back up, and I won't feel like I'm giving my money away?

Are you happy with the quilt you had made??

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Are you happy with the quilt you had made??
    I had an XXL underquilt made by UK Hammocks. It's not suitable to carry for hiking as it is so big. And I had difficulties using it with my Brazilian - I probably hung it too tight. However, I had no time to work out what the problem was before I moved. I haven't been able to hang a hammock indoors since then (I'm still working on it). But I have used the uq with a camping hammock for hanging in the car port. It's a well made piece of equipment, and I hope that I can get it to work with my Brazilian hammock eventually.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I had an XXL underquilt made by UK Hammocks. It's not suitable to carry for hiking as it is so big. And I had difficulties using it with my Brazilian - I probably hung it too tight. However, I had no time to work out what the problem was before I moved. I haven't been able to hang a hammock indoors since then (I'm still working on it). But I have used the uq with a camping hammock for hanging in the car port. It's a well made piece of equipment, and I hope that I can get it to work with my Brazilian hammock eventually.
    Ah, so you had a hammock vendor do it. I thought perhaps you had someone who created one for you in Germany. There doesn't seem to be anyone here in Canada, so I'm going to need to choose wisely.

Thanks for letting me know!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No, Germany is backwards with regards to hammocks, unfortunately. I don't know any maker of hammock gear here. But the UK is not that far away; shipping is not too expensive and there're no import fees.

Strange that there are no makers in Canada, though. You'd think that there is a market. But you're not far away from the border, right? Maybe you could do a week-end trip, go hiking in the Adirondacks (beautiful!) and order an underquilt per general delivery to take back to Canada? This worked well enough for me, while I was travelling in the US.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I rarely go to the States, but this could give me good reason. Good idea! Thanks!

• + New Posts