Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    ancient ThermaRest
    Suspension
    Straps & rings

Going to ground

Greetings all--

I'm planning some extended bicycle touring / hang camping this summer and am a little concerned "going to ground". Does anyone know of any instructional videos about how to set up a hammock for the ground? Have checked Shug's and though he has some on tarp camping, I found nothing on setting up the hammock on the ground.

I'm using a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with an UQ and sleeping bag but will take a Thermarest pad, too, just in case.

Thanks in advance,

Tadpole

Images
    I don't risk damaging my hammock by putting it on the ground.
    I just pack an air matress on the bike and use my tarp and TQ for ground sleeping.
    If it's bug season use a fishermans bug headnet.
    I bikepack/hang more than I hike.
    hth

If I am exploring a new area where I don't know if there will be tree's I carry a bivi along with my hammock.
    weighs about 2.5# and fits in a 10L drybag.

Last edited by OutandBack; 03-10-2014 at 15:17.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    O&B knows his stuff. A small piece of Tyvek as a ground cloth to protect your pad and or bivy would be worth the few ounces as well.

I think that depending on where you plan on going, with a good measure of researching very few folks go to ground. In 5 years in a hammock I have not ever considered it an option. On way or another and with some creativity there is very few places that you can't hang a hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC Blackbird dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    ancient ThermaRest
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Thanks O&B and PG for the tips. Hadn't thought about a bivy but makes perfect sense.

-Tad

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I agree with what's has been posted, I don't really want to put my XLC on the ground.
    I will be taking my first bikepacking trip this May. I will be out for 6 or 7 days doing the C&O/GAP Trails and I will be pulling a BOB Trailer. I have the space so I am going to carry my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 just in case. It's light and I can use my TQ with my pad that I was taking anyway. Not really wanting to take extra stuff but I think I will carry the tent.
    If space/weight is a big concern I agree with the tyvek option set up. Good luck.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    here is a quick little video I did on the topic. Think in the future I'd pitch my tarp a bit higher unless I was expecting bad weather.

The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you have even 1 tree, you can use your bike as the other attachment point. You just need to bring cordage and 2 larger sized stakes and 1 smaller stake to secure the bike in a vertical position.

The bike is in a vertical position and you put cord and 2 large stakes to brace your weight and the smaller stake will hold the bike from the other side(to keep the bike from falling towards the bracing).

Attach the footend of hammock on the tree(will naturally be the higher side due to bike height).

The headend attached to the bike wherever you can get a good point.

Be creative with the enviroment also. You can use a sapling as a crossbar like used for a TurtleDog Stand. Attack 1 side to the tree and the other on the bike or lash together a tripod.

Good luck.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    homemade webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    I agree with what's has been posted, I don't really want to put my XLC on the ground.
    I will be taking my first bikepacking trip this May. I will be out for 6 or 7 days doing the C&O/GAP Trails and I will be pulling a BOB Trailer. I have the space so I am going to carry my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 just in case. It's light and I can use my TQ with my pad that I was taking anyway. Not really wanting to take extra stuff but I think I will carry the tent.
    If space/weight is a big concern I agree with the tyvek option set up. Good luck.
    I have done the C & O trip 3X bike packing. One suggestion, find a campsite away from the Canal. The train tracks run parallel to the canal in several sections. Just when I would fall asleep, a train horn would wake me.

• + New Posts