Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch

Clark Ultalight 2QZQ Pole Mod (NX-UL)

First off a big shout out to Donna at 2QZQ for the outstanding customer service and attention to detail with the modification.

And a definite thanks to DEMOSTIX for the idea and for answering my PM's with details on his mod.

Back ground; My first hammock after discovering this site a little over a year ago and doing the typical noob lurk and research ended with the Clark Jungle Hammock (CJH) NX-250, perfect four season bullet proof option. The only hammock I'll ever need... Yeah Right! that is for another post "The evolution of my hang" coming soon to a forum near you.

Early last spring I picked up a used CJH UL (the original version) off the forum for one of my sons and on our first trip together as we were setting up and doing our camp chores, we found some sticks and ran them through the stock bugnet loops and anchored in the tie out loops, to keep the bugnet up off his face and increase the visibility and air flow.

So when we got home I tried different configurations with an extra set of the Clark poles I have but couldn't get anything to seem just right. I got to thinking I need to add pole sleeves and end pockets... how can I mod this to be just like the NX-250?

That's where DEMOSTIX comes in, after doing some research I found his post about the exact mod on the exact same hammock I was thinking of, that he worked with Donna on...

I e-mailed 2QZQ and got a prompt reply that it had been a while since she had worked on DEMOSTIX, and mine would be only the 2nd NX-UL she had done, so we would have to collaborate with measurements and pictures and some feedback from DEMOSTIX.

Donna was great, we communicated back and forth through out the entire project, she kept me updated and even had some changes to my initial measurements that improved and further enhanced the finished project.

Awesome! I would highly recommend this upgrade, We use the standard Clark poles and basically have a smaller lighter version of the 250... hence the name: NX-UL.

I have recently heard From Donna that she was working on another NX-UL for someone else and was thinking of offering it as a standard mod on the site.

Thanks again 2QZQ (Donna) and Demostix!

I love this place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mannowar; 03-08-2014 at 22:59.
    Fair Winds & Following Seas.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Excellent mod. Can the original weather cover still be zipped on?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...Yes we will be offering this modification on our website. I haven't been able to catch Tim long enough for him to sit down at the computer and put it on there. If anyone is interested, PM me, or contact through our website.

Mannowar...doesn't look like you needed the shock cord thing I sent to you...I didn't think it would be needed, but sent it just in case. Let me know for sure.
    Also...I checked with one of our suppliers to see if they could find poles for this mod. I haven't heard anything. I did some looking myself for customer #3 without much success. I then looked on Clark's website. They sell replacement poles.

Forgot to add....Nice write up Mannowar!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by southern9 View Post
    Excellent mod. Can the original weather cover still be zipped on?
    This is the original CJH Ultralite, I believe it was only offered with the bug net and the original configuration had the tarp rigged to the hammock suspension similar to the Hennessy style.

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Mannowar...doesn't look like you needed the shock cord thing I sent to you...I didn't think it would be needed, but sent it just in case. Let me know for sure.
    Also...I checked with one of our suppliers to see if they could find poles for this mod. I haven't heard anything. I did some looking myself for customer #3 without much success. I then looked on Clark's website. They sell replacement poles.

Forgot to add....Nice write up Mannowar!
    Hi Donna, I was hoping you would chime in... They (shock cord tensioners) are installed currently, I took the photos before you sent them but they are a definite plus to this modification, they keep the poles upright and tension-ed when the hammock is empty and definitely improves bugnet tension, visibility and airflow while in the hammock.

Definitely a plus to this modification!

Have you tried Quest Outfitters for poles?
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The poles here are fiberglass sticks. Per archives here at HF I found excellent substitutes for Clark,s T Harbor Freight, in their inexpensive electricians' fish rods kits. Another source would be a kite store

I knew 2QZQ's rep to be so well deserved, I sent Donna two hmmks, a UL and a Tropical, and they came back impeccably tailored.

With OP on this, the UL is a

favorite Clark, per pics @ my page.

clark mod

Hi I'm interested in the poles and mod for my tropical ultra. Did you use the electrical wiring poles from Harbor freight ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apescat View Post
    Hi I'm interested in the poles and mod for my tropical ultra. Did you use the electrical wiring poles from Harbor freight ?
    Donna here...I just did a search here on HFs...here are the poles DemostiX used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html He noted an item number of 65327. Hopefully he will chime in here when he sees this.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannowar View Post
    Have you tried Quest Outfitters for poles?
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm
    I just realized I never responded to this. This is the supplier I contacted for the poles. They haven't gotten back to me yet. It has been awhile...so I'm guessing they didn't find anything. I will have to call them again.
    Donna
    Last edited by 2Questions; 03-11-2014 at 21:06.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I have been wanting to have this done to my Clark North American for a long time especially after seeing the NX models and how the poles keep the netting away from your face. Donna did the work for 2 of my friends Hennessy hammocks and they both said that I should call and see if she would consider doing the mod to my Clark.
    I called her one day in late January and asked if she would do this and she told me that she had already done this mod to a couple of Clarks. I sent my hammock off the next day and about 2 weeks later she had it finished.

I found where Demostix had used the harbor freight poles and since they are close I went by and picked some up and they work really good....Thanks man! If anyone has a North American and hates how the bug netting hangs near your face, you definitely need to have this done....you will be glad that you did. Next time I get out I will take some pics and show how mine looks!

Thanks again Donna for working with me on the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast