Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question Larger tarp/rain fly for HH A-sym Ultralite?

Just returned from my section hike on the AT in VA. I took my HH A-sym UltraLite and had some of my best nights' sleep ever on the trail.

However, the very first night (and two or three subsequent nights) it rained. I had no real problem with getting wet once I was settled into the hammock.

BUT ... I did get wet the first night while trying to stand under the rain fly to arrange things in the hammock and undress. My butt stuck out from under the stock rain fly. My shirt and shorts got wet.

Made me think that I should get a larger tarp/rain fly. I bet y'all will have a variety of good suggestions and recommendations for me?

I'm headed over to the HH web site right now to see what they offer.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    HH offers the Hex Tarp, but I'd recommend you check out the MacCats from OES. I use a standard, which has the same problem you have (so I change in a shelter or privy when its raining or else I just get wet a bit) But you might consider the Deluxe for a larger one. They come in Spinnex if you want to shave oz.

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    I used a Speer 8x10 cat tarp with my HH ULBA on the recent section I did from Watauga Dam to Bland, VA. It gives plenty of room and the "corners" can be staked underneath to better protect the ends, when (not IF) the wind switches. As usual when using my HH, 2/3 of the trip, it didn't rain (YMMV)!

Good luck in your search!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    HH offers the Hex Tarp, but I'd recommend you check out the MacCats from OES. I use a standard, which has the same problem you have (so I change in a shelter or privy when its raining or else I just get wet a bit) But you might consider the Deluxe for a larger one. They come in Spinnex if you want to shave oz.
    I reccomend the Spinntex Macat Deluxe. I have ten nights under mine, several of them were all night downpours and one was really windy. I stayed dry as a bone and so did my underquilt.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I use an OES MacCat Deluxe and I love it. I've also added a center pole to create a nice arch that provides more room and support when the wind/rain blows against it. Also added doors that can be rolled up out of the way. I was also originally thinking of a larger tarp, but ended up just modifying the MacCat.

2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Hey Rain Man. I had my MacCat SpinnUL at the mid-Tn hang this year, May 1-3. You can see pics at Neo's trip reports or in my pics folders. I think I had the only light gray one at the hang. 11 x 10 and it has plenty of room for my HULBA, plus other things. Not a drop of moisture on that Friday night monster storm we had, except for the one time the wind blew in the end. I should have closed in the ends before the storm but I was not expecting that much of an event.
    Still wondering if I should have gone 12 x 10. At some point, space and weight of the bigger tarp becomes a factor for my backpack weight, especially for the long distance hikes, so I compromised for the 11 x 10.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp, high versitility, best value , currently under $110.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I use a Speer 8x10, and spent a few T-storms under it, with no problems. Plenty of room underneath it for doing whatever you need to do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Warbonnet big mambajamba. Check out cannibal's recent thread... that makes two forum members who have taken the things into extreme hailstorms and lived to tell about it

• + New Posts