Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Subcutaneous
    Suspension
    Heavy

Bridge weight limit?

I am new here and have gathered from other threads that, (maybe wrong) most bridge hammocks are not for larger people!
    I'm a 6'5" 350 guy and would love to try one if I could! But I don't want to end up with a sore back side!

Thanks
    Terry
    The hard things we do right away, the impossible stuff take us a bit longer!!!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension
    Wow, I was just thinking about starting a thread like this! We're almost the same size (I'm an inch shorter, but the same weight).

I'm happy with my hammocks, but I am interested in trying a bridge out someday. I hope someone can give you some good info on this.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Most that I have seen go up to 250. I was thinking of checking with Warbonnet to see if Brandon can make a beefed up ridgerunner.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Subcutaneous
    Suspension
    Heavy
    I wonder where the fail point is? I'm sure someone way smarter than me could tell us!
    I would be willing to make my own, just need to know where I would need to beef up from a standard bridge hammock!
    The hard things we do right away, the impossible stuff take us a bit longer!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    From the official Warbonnet Ridgerunner intro thread
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    not 100% sure, i have done some "to-failure" testing. for instance with a single layer 1.1 blackbird i was able to "explode" the fabric with about 1200 lbs, i used 80LB bags of quickcrete to make the load, and i tried this with the ridgerunner to stack all the bags straight on top of eachother to simulate all weight being in the spot where you sit to enter (as opposed to spreading the weight out along the length of the whole thing) but was only able to get around 600# worth of them stacked up before it would tip over.

all those tests were on brand new fabric on the first use and in no way would the hammock be able to handle loads anywhere near that on a reg. basis or should anyone ever try to push beyond the weight limits. the poles will fail at some point too, although i can't say how much weight. i did intentionally pull on the head spreader while i was inside and it bent way way way more than i though it would before breaking.
    I believe there were spreader bar failures with the stock spreader bars with folks in the 220-250 range so he started offering more robust spreader bars for bigger folks. I'm 6'2'' 280lbs. and the beefier spreader bars feel like they can stand up to guys bigger than me. How much bigger, I'm not sure.

I'd reach out to him personally to see what his thoughts are on the subject.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I see no reason why a heftier version of the bridge hammock couldn't be made. The major stress point is still the same no matter the weight and that is the spreader bar. Just get a larger diameter spreader bar with same type of fabric you use now and you should be fine. I'm pretty sure the mule tape will still work for the sides. Id be surprised if warbonnet wouldnt be able to help ya out.

If you cant find a vendor to fix ya up, shoot me a pm.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    My thoughts are as follows;

The width of the hammock is important, too narrow and you will be compressed at the shoulders.

The length of the spreader bars is important to limit the sagging of the bridge and creating a a deep pocket with high walls. Wider bars are better.

Strength of the bars. Too weak and the bars will flex. Folks have recently (I think it's recently) been offering "oversized" bars that are stronger and don't flex nearly as much.

The edges take an incredible amount of stress. Stitching here is critical. Having tested a bridge hammock by a member, I was very impressed with the stitching of the hammock material to the grosgrain along the edge. Once loaded, both sides of the hammock are virtual bars that run the length of the hammock to the spreader bar attachment points.

Double layer would be nice, allows for more weight but again, the stitching along the edge has to be spot on.

Many people are very happy with their bridges. Having only tried one, I am still on the fence. The hammock felt more coffin like to me. I did not experience any particular advantage when side sleeping as compared to a gathered end hammock and I wasn't able to stretch out, shift around into different positions and really relax like I can in a gathered end hammock. YMMV HYOH
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I see no reason why a heftier version of the bridge hammock couldn't be made. The major stress point is still the same no matter the weight and that is the spreader bar. Just get a larger diameter spreader bar with same type of fabric you use now and you should be fine. I'm pretty sure the mule tape will still work for the sides. Id be surprised if warbonnet wouldnt be able to help ya out.

If you cant find a vendor to fix ya up, shoot me a pm.
    I agree. I am a larger person as well (250ish) and although not as much as the original poster of this thread. I made my bridge hammock out of the crinkle polyester tafetta tablecloth material. I find it quite comfortable for me and I have broad shoulders. I use 36" spreader bars which are 1" hardwood dowels that I carved notches in the ends to attach the corner rings.

Xtrekker is correct that the main stress points on a bridge hammock are the at the corners where the spreader bar attaches. Also all of the weight of the hammock is carried on the fabric edges so having strong and wide enough webbing is essential. Spreader bar forces can be reduced by making the side length of the suspension triangle longer. This is what the Ridgerunner does as its is spreader bar length at the head end is just a little shorter than the fabric length.

Many people choose bridge hammocks if they can't resolve the issues with calf and knee pressure in a traditional gathered end hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    expect Zilla to chime in soon. He recently made one for himself, same weight range. The hammock is double body 1.9 oz/yd^2 ripstop, big suspension triangle (sides equal to length of spreader bar), 0.74" diameter Easton spreader bars from Questoutfitters, 1/8" Amsteel. And WIDE, something like 42" at the head and 40" at the foot.

I was very interested in this project as it ventured into requirements I've not had to deal with.

of course, if we don't hear from Zilla we might figure that ....
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Just adding my experience, limited as it may be...

I reached out to both Jacks R Better and Warbonnet today - neither will take on "custom" work to accommodate those looking for anything not already being sold. Both guys are nice, but it isn't in their business interest (and reasonably so) to manage custom work.

duane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast