HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings

TQ and UQ plan, what have I missed?

So I'm designing myself a cold weather TQ and UQ for a trip coming up in July. (apparently austraila does get winter, and where I'm going it might crawl down to 30f/-1c as a worst case overnight)
    I am planning to use 4oz apex as it is what is available to me at a reasonable price-point, and by my estimation should get me right in the comfort ballpark, with base layers and UQP making up a small difference if needed. I'm not decided on the quilt cover yet, it will depend on what I can get locally, or what is in stock when I order the insulation (I am not decided yet on what type of nylon either, taffeta, ripstop or whatever)

Right now the way I've drawn it out is that my UQ and TQ will be dimensionally the same, 1000mmx2000mm (3'3x6'7). my mockups with bits of old bedsheet show that this should give me good coverage top and bottom. Although it does seem a bit narrower than some, is there a reason to have the sides come up a long way? I not a huge guy, 5'10 155ish, so its not like I have to cover a whole lot of real estate with it, the TQ is a bit oversized I think, and that will add to the insulation factor (in theory)
    The TQ will get cord channels head and foot as well, to help create a footbox/collar. The UQ will have shock cord suspension, and a ridge-line guy as well, if needed.

The insulation width means either they both get a small seam in the insulation, or one gets more seams. I think I'll go with the advice and keep the UQ one piece.

I am also planning on these quilts both being multipurpose. They will fit my swag as a blanket, and I may do an attachment method so i can put them together as a quilt for the tent. Basically since they are going to be so "heavy" I want lots of options for later use. For more mid-range temps, I would do something more specialized.

So, some questions!
    What have I missed, are my calculations way off base?
    What am I looking for in a cover material? Is there a benefit to using different fabrics for different sides?
    What other factors should I be looking at?

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    maybe consider using climashield. apex. it's a little warmer, and packs smaller.
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    I inappropriately abbreviated, climashield Apex is the planned insulation.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    I would consider 5 or 6 ounce CSA, 4 should be good to only 40-45 degrees

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    Unfortunately Simon only stocks 2.1 and 4 oz at the moment, and adding another layer will greatly increase cost.
    I would be more concerned if I was going to be looking at a consistent low temp, but with only an outside chance of it dropping that low (more probably 5c/40f) I'll be willing to risk it, with backup plans in place. Plus I'm hoping that the generous cut of everything will help compensate. Its a risk, but I have plenty of real cold weather experience, and since there is pretty much no risk besides discomfort (no risk of frostbite, an hypothermia can be treated by standing up) If this was going to be a southern Alberta rig where even summer storms can drop snow, we'd be in a very different ballpark.
    Although I do appreciate the thought. And I've been trying to figure out the best cost effective method, but right now doubling the cost to get a few more degrees doesn't seem effective, when I have other methods at my disposal.

Hammock
    HH Exp, DIY 11' asym
    Tarp
    Hootchie
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing/Mandible
    Images
    Good timing. I've been planning the same in regards to an UQ. Same materials, dimensions, hammock and supplier. For pretty much the exact same reason aswell.
    If you do get your quilts made I'd be very grateful if you could let me know how they perform.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetgeek View Post
    Unfortunately Simon only stocks 2.1 and 4 oz at the moment, and adding another layer will greatly increase cost.
    I would be more concerned if I was going to be looking at a consistent low temp, but with only an outside chance of it dropping that low (more probably 5c/40f) I'll be willing to risk it, with backup plans in place. Plus I'm hoping that the generous cut of everything will help compensate. Its a risk, but I have plenty of real cold weather experience, and since there is pretty much no risk besides discomfort (no risk of frostbite, an hypothermia can be treated by standing up) If this was going to be a southern Alberta rig where even summer storms can drop snow, we'd be in a very different ballpark.
    Although I do appreciate the thought. And I've been trying to figure out the best cost effective method, but right now doubling the cost to get a few more degrees doesn't seem effective, when I have other methods at my disposal.
    I'm about the same size as you. You might consider a 3/4 length UQ with a layer of each. I find 42" X 58" works well for me in the temps you mention. (6oz). You can probably get by with a little less width and length.
    Here's the master's view (Shug's UQ video):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9N3KkV5Zf4
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY 5.0 Apex TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY TS/Whoopies

TQ/UQ sizing

I recently made my own TQ & UQ using 5 oz Apex. The TQ measures 76" long, 53" wide half-tapered to 40" at the foot box. I also have it set up with a drawcord at each end, as well as a draft collar and foot box flap. For reference, I am 5'8" 140lbs, so not far from what you're shooting for. The UQ is 46" long by 44" wide, plenty big enough when paired with a pillow, hat, and foot pad. For my TQ I used Momentum 90 mini ripstop for the shell and Momentum 90 taffeta for the lining. I did this mostly because that is what I read that others were doing. Not really sure if there is a difference, but I'm assuming that the taffeta is a bit softer and the ripstop is a bit stronger. Somebody please correct me if this is incorrect.

As far as temps are concerned, I'm hoping my system is good to about 35 degrees.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    If all other things were equal, is thicker better than longer? my logic tells me that more coverage is better than less, but is that really the case?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    My working knowledge says that you want more insulation under your core (shoulders to below hips). Then for the remainder (as needed), you have your pillow/hood for head and Shug style jacket over foot end and a small pad for the feet.
    Add to that wind block (ex: UQP and tarp) and know how to use a hot water bottle incase the temps go below your equipment limits.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast