Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great trip report and awesome job out there. This is on my list to do in either 2015-2016 and it's nice to see a thorough trip report on it. I was very relieved that you survived those vicious dogs. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Fronkey

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I'm looking at doing a through hike once hunting season is over. Thanks for the trip report!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Great trip report and awesome job out there. This is on my list to do in either 2015-2016 and it's nice to see a thorough trip report on it. I was very relieved that you survived those vicious dogs. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Fronkey
    Dude;

A guy like you with the long legs you have should be able to do the LST in three days. The terrain is mostly flat with the only real change in elevation being the ups and downs in the creeks.

But let us know before you come, we'll set you up with a BBQ and some dutch oven cooking somewhere along the trail.
    Last edited by sargevining; 12-25-2014 at 23:39.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for reviving the thread, and there’s a couple coincidences I’ll note. The next outing I’m planning to undertake is the Ozark Highlands Trail, and if I can’t do that in the spring I’ll make a run at the Superior Hiking Trail in the fall.

Sean – I’ve followed your 2013 OHT thru on backpackingarkansas.com and hope to do something very similar, except in early-mid April. If it looks like it’ll happen, I will open another thread here and/or on BPA. I see the some of the ouachitamaps.com OHT maps are now on Maprika and I’m hoping they will help where navigation is challenged. I switched from AT&T to Verizon on Wednesday so maybe I’ll be able to better stay in contact with my wife. Another coincidence is that a tick removal key, the kind you featured prominently in BPA, was in my Christmas stocking. But with any luck it will stay in my pack in April.

Fronkey – I know you’ve hiked all over the trail-o-sphere but I’ll always associate you with your Superior Hiking Trail video(s). Great work on those. If I’m not able to make the OHT trip in April I’ll probably try to fly to Duluth, get a shuttle to the north end of the SHT and hike south. I’ll try to time this to coincide with peak fall colors. If not this year, then next – it’s on my list.

Ksbcrocks – good luck and have a great time on your thru hike. Note that Maprika maps cover the LSHT. You won’t really need Maprika on-trail, as it is very well maintained, but you will need some kind of map to negotiate the road walks.

Sarge – You made me think of this: the LSHT Club had their annual Christmas buffet two weeks ago Saturday, attended by Mike Winters who was in the middle of his yo-yo hike (Winters to Richards to Winters). I haven’t heard if he successfully completed it, but he was in good shape and I’m confident that he did.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaggleroot View Post
    Wow! Thanks for reviving the thread, and there’s a couple coincidences I’ll note. The next outing I’m planning to undertake is the Ozark Highlands Trail, and if I can’t do that in the spring I’ll make a run at the Superior Hiking Trail in the fall.

Sean – I’ve followed your 2013 OHT thru on backpackingarkansas.com and hope to do something very similar, except in early-mid April. If it looks like it’ll happen, I will open another thread here and/or on BPA. I see the some of the ouachitamaps.com OHT maps are now on Maprika and I’m hoping they will help where navigation is challenged. I switched from AT&T to Verizon on Wednesday so maybe I’ll be able to better stay in contact with my wife. Another coincidence is that a tick removal key, the kind you featured prominently in BPA, was in my Christmas stocking. But with any luck it will stay in my pack in April.

Fronkey – I know you’ve hiked all over the trail-o-sphere but I’ll always associate you with your Superior Hiking Trail video(s). Great work on those. If I’m not able to make the OHT trip in April I’ll probably try to fly to Duluth, get a shuttle to the north end of the SHT and hike south. I’ll try to time this to coincide with peak fall colors. If not this year, then next – it’s on my list.

Ksbcrocks – good luck and have a great time on your thru hike. Note that Maprika maps cover the LSHT. You won’t really need Maprika on-trail, as it is very well maintained, but you will need some kind of map to negotiate the road walks.

Sarge – You made me think of this: the LSHT Club had their annual Christmas buffet two weeks ago Saturday, attended by Mike Winters who was in the middle of his yo-yo hike (Winters to Richards to Winters). I haven’t heard if he successfully completed it, but he was in good shape and I’m confident that he did.
    I read where he completed a thru, but no mention of the yo-yo. That was a coupla weeks ago.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

Fronkey
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Dude;

A guy like you with the long legs you have should be able to do the LST in three days. The terrain is mostly flat with the only real change in elevation being the ups and downs in the creeks.

But let us know before you come, we'll set you up with a BBQ and some dutch oven cooking somewhere along the trail.
    Yup.

Plan it around Veteran's day in the fall and catch our annual Texas Fall Hang on the front or back end of your trip to The Republic.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Dude;

That is EXTREMELY tempting. lol I will for sure give a heads up because I do like to meet up with people when I can. I'll have a much better idea on whether or not I'll make it this year, in February when I'm back from my honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggleroot View Post
    Wow!
    That's awesome dude and I hop you make it out there. It's one of my favorite places and smart move on trying to organize with the fall colors. Beautiful trail and if you need any help planning, just ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Yup.

Plan it around Veteran's day in the fall and catch our annual Texas Fall Hang on the front or back end of your trip to The Republic.
    Even more tempting!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the great trip report. As I have posted elsewhere we plan to do a thru in February YIKES in 3 weeks. From the video reports I have seen and this report here, it is the road parts that will be the most difficult.

https://www.crowdrise.com/100Milesin10Days/fundraiser/
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123