Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New NA

Yep, 4 and counting. If it is anything like my kayaks I will have one of every one made before it is over.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    Yep, 4 and counting. If it is anything like my kayaks I will have one of every one made before it is over.
    Speaking as someone who is very close to that milestone; don't do it! My basement is a disaster more often than not and I think I could have bought a new car with all the money I have invested in biners, rings, and straps...oh my!

Thank goodness the Blackbird is such a wonderfully comfortable hammock, otherwise I'd spend hours just standing there like a dumb s*** trying to figure-out which hammock to take with me on any given trip.

However, I had 12 of my babies hanging this weekend for a demo day and I gotta say...I was feeling mighty cool.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Jungle Camping

It sounds like a great adventure ahead for you in your jungle trek. I have done a bit of living "close to the land" in jungle environments, so I wanted to share a few thoughts about your plans.

I have backpacked several times in extended trips in the remote jungles of northern Thailand over the past years. I have also made a few short treks on various pacific islands including Guam, Saipan, Peleliu, and other locations in the Marianas. FWIW, I spent two tours as a rifleman in the jungles of Vietnam (1st Bn 5th Marines RVN 1969 - 1971), albeit some time ago.

I think that the observations by Cavediver2 and several others in this thread are right on point regarding your planned jungle trip.

Here are a few additional thoughts, I hope they are helpful to you.

As for the basic approach you are looking for; I would just take the hammock and other gear you named and go for it. Depending on the season, unless you are in a unique situation I can't feature that you'll need to worry about bringing any kind of insulation. But, if needed I would use the CCF pad recommended by others. For cover/warmth inside the hammock, I would use one or two improved Thinsulate poncho liners as a quilt. They are lightweight, warm, dry easily, and have a good record of success in military use in the jungle.

If you are living "off the land", you can easily pick up serious enteric problems in Asia and the Pacific if you are not careful. In my experience, pay close attention to getting/making clean water and cooking your food very well during your jungle trek. Unless your stomach is used to it, local village food could make you sick. Bring proper medications if needed. My doctor, sends me off with both antibiotics and anti-diarrhea medications for at least two or three rounds of enteric disease when I'm in Asia. Stay well hydrated. Heat and dehydration casualties are common in the jungle. Bring adequate insect protection, i.e. head net and DEET or whatever works for you.

If you're doing any serious bushwhacking, consider wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants; preferably rip stop cotton, to reduce cuts. Also consider using lightweight gloves. Small skin injuries can quickly suppurate in the jungle on long treks. They call it jungle rot.

Keep up on your personal hygiene in the jungle as best you can; no matter how difficult. Also, watch your feet closely. The wet jungle environment can eat up your footwear and create damaging sores. Consider taking a really good first aid course as part of your preparations.

Route finding in remote areas in Asia and the Pacific can be difficult. Most experienced trekkers get the best maps possible, protect them within waterproof pouches, and use a good compass. A GPS and sat phone are important to bring for safety, if you think you could be in harms way without them.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

For cover/warmth inside the hammock, I would use one or two improved Thinsulate poncho liners as a quilt. They are lightweight, warm, dry easily, and have a good record of success in military use in the jungle.
    I bought one of these, got it at a surplus store cheap, after looking at them on base at full price which is still pretty cheap. If you check out your clark hammock, you'll find on both sides, little loops sewed on. I used these loops on the hammock and the ties on the poncho liner and tied the liner to the underside of the hammock. Get two poncho liners and use them as an under quilt and a top quilt.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    OK, well I slept out for the second night in a row with my new Clark NA. I have to figure out how to rig my JRB UQ up with the standard tarp and keep it dry in bad weather. I think I might buy some dry ducks with the JRB mod. Any thoughts?
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I think I might buy some dry ducks with the JRB mod. Any thoughts?
    hacktorious, I have the original JRB weathershield, made from the same fabric as the poncho. I have used it and found it works really great! The times when I had used a smaller tarp, it really helped for those times when the blowing rain snuck in the ends.

I also find I can use this successfully when the weather is warmer and my NS quilt is a bit too much insulation. It helps cut the wind, keep in some of the warmth, and keeps things drier.

I'd recommend trying out the poncho!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the NA and I used the poncho liner last weekend at the Hot Springs Hangout. Temps got down around 60 at night and the poncho worked great. I sewed in loops on both ends of the poncho and inserted bungee cord then I attached both ends with nite eyes biners.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Ordered my new NA today.

I am training for a two month trip to the Jungle. I am taking minimal supplies and will literally be living in the Jungle. I will have to forage and hunt my own food.

If you were going to do this, what would you bring for insulation for your NA? Would you trust a down UQ? Would you use a CCF pad, or a Big Agnes Down Air Pad? The rain can get pretty nasty, and stay nasty, so can the fog.

I was thinking of really roughing it and building a shelter, but I probably should have some protection from the nasties...

Thanks.
    Been sleeping in it for 7 days so far. Will keep you posted on what I learn.
    http://yourfunadventures.com/forum/v...c.php?f=21&t=2
    Last edited by hacktorious; 06-25-2009 at 20:23.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clumseybear View Post
    I have the NA and I used the poncho liner last weekend at the Hot Springs Hangout. Temps got down around 60 at night and the poncho worked great. I sewed in loops on both ends of the poncho and inserted bungee cord then I attached both ends with nite eyes biners.
    AND it was a beautious setup, Now, I am off to the Military Surplus store for those wonderful sounding poncho liners. Clumsey Bear, u r gonna cost me lots of money, LOL

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK scooterdogma, we know you have aquired a Clark NA, but you have not told us how your first hang was or what are you waiting for, get out and hang it up and let us know how it goes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast