Tarp
    JRB CatTarp
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Rope/EnoSlapstraps

Sleeping Bag Preferences/Ideas?!?

Not sure where to post this but...

I'm kinda curious as to what sleeping bags you all use? I have a +25 down bag from REI but I'm kinda intested in maybe going winter camping every now and again - whenever I make it home again (northern Michigan). Whenever I used to tent-camp, I'd just pile on a bunch of blankets and junk, till' I felt comfortable, but now that I'm able to spend a bit of money, well I kinda want to consolidate things and maybe get a 4-seasons bag?!?

One other thing... I pretty much live out of a hotel room 90% of the year and when I travel, more often than not I am flying, so I'd like to try and keep things light and compact-ish so that I can have it with me when I work in PA, VA, WV, NV, CO, ID, CA...

There is only ONE sleeping bag for a hammocker, a Feathered Friends Rock Wren (or the winter wren).

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    There is only ONE sleeping bag for a hammocker, a Feathered Friends Rock Wren (or the winter wren).
    Just like all other bags... you end up carrying quite a bit of extra weight around in a configuration like that, don't you? I see how the arm holes would be nice, but I don't really get why that makes it any better for a hammock than on the ground.

Please share your wealth of knowledge so that I may see the light! (Actually, it would be better if you kept your knowledge to yourself... I already bought a freaking quilt today. Don't even get me thinking about these bags).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Just like all other bags... you end up carrying quite a bit of extra weight around in a configuration like that, don't you? I see how the arm holes would be nice, but I don't really get why that makes it any better for a hammock than on the ground.

Please share your wealth of knowledge so that I may see the light! (Actually, it would be better if you kept your knowledge to yourself... I already bought a freaking quilt today. Don't even get me thinking about these bags).
    Ease of use with hammock compared to a regular bag. Since you can wear the bag, with your feet outside the opening on the end, you can then just sit/lay down in the hammock, already in the bag. You can do the same thing with a normal bag of course, but you have to stand with the foot end of the bag being pushed into the ground by your feet, not great in the mud.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

I think the real advantage of a wren is the fact you can stick your feet out. That way you have your bag on when you get in the hammock. I use a winter wren when it is very cold, but quilts aare my 3 season top insulation.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

A Wren is about five or six ounces heavier than a quilt of the same warmth. It is made typically of 1.7oz, most top end quilts are 1.1oz. fabric. It is a few ounces heavier than a mummy bag because of the larger diameter of the foot area. The Wren however, is also an arctic parka, combined with JRB sleeves.

Don't fret about buying a quilt, I love my Wren, but I'd rather have a quilt in a hammock three seasons. I'll keep my Wrens if I have to go to ground (the JMT calls). I now have a Winter Wren and a JRB Rocky Mountain No Sniveler, I haven't used either enough to know which I prefer in the cold. I don't get too many nights where I live cold enough to really test them.

The ultimate cold weather bag for hammock or ground use would be the Nunatak Raku:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm

I believe a Winter Wren and the JRB sleeves would accomplish the same thing.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I'm using the Campmor 20 degree rectangle down bag. I pull it up over my hammock like a peapod. No need to carry more than 1 piece of gear for top and bottom insulation.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I've been using my MontBell UL SS DH #2. So far so good!

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Very well made, value oriented and community oriented.

ALPS Desert Pine 20- Wide- (down isn't practical in south LA due to humidity)

My son and I've been down to 27° in south Louisiana with the Reg size versions of this bag and were toasty as a bug para TR and reflector screen. I was hanging for this trip. My son worked through his Wilderness Survival weekend in a ground based tarp shelter.

The value really showed through for us with their ScoutDirect Program. I grabbed the Wide version only recently through their Spring Sale ($35 + shipping to qualified Scouts and Leaders). Regulars were picked up through the same program a year ago @ $30/ea + shipping.

I'm toying with the idea of converting one of these bags to an underquilt, but I'm not feeling slothie enough with my sewing skills yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I love my Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. I can crawl in if its really cold, or just use it like a quilt if its not. When I get rich, I might get a JRB quilt, but since I already own the WM bag, I think I'll use it for now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast