Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    In one of my We Don't Sew vids I make the statement that DIY to save money is not a viable reason to make your own.
    And I figured that if I expect to keep the quilt for years to come, the quality of the sewing needed to be better than mine and the materials better than I can get for cheap. The fact that it will last for a long time allows me to look at the bigger picture and say that the money spent amortized over a number of years that I'm not having to replace the quilt or make another one makes it a cheaper quilt in the long run.

Of course, gear whores who change over gear like they change their socks do not need to apply such reasoning. I like looking at new gear and have been known to just buy something else that duplicates gear I have for the cool factor... but I'm set for sleeping. I like my current setup.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Yeah, I have very little free time, no sewing machine, and no skill with a sewing machine. I wasn't talking about making stuff for myself... just the concept in general.
    Understood... I was also talking about the concept in general. Sorry if it came off as a rant toward you. But your sewing machine deficit can be addressed reasonably cheaply and the skill is a learned process. Don't let those issues hold you back from a very rewarding hobby. But just like most hobbies... it is a practice of love and enjoyment, not a money saver.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Most of my DIY projects seem to stem from my want of a certain piece of equipment that I can't find produced by a 'manufacturer'
    example...if someone wanted a climashield UQ, you could buy a KA quilt...but I wanted a climashield UQ that doubled as a TQ and a KA doesn't do that (and honestly John wasn't in production at that point, but you understand)
    did I have to have a climashield UQ/TQ?...no. Could I make my own and learn a little about sewing? Yup.
    DIY becomes more important as you narrow your equip scope and realize that you can't buy that...so I'll make my own
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Yeah, I have very little free time
    Kill your TV!
    no sewing machine
    Easy fix at the thrift shops.
    and no skill with a sewing machine.
    Only one way to get the skills.
    I wasn't talking about making stuff for myself... just the concept in general.
    Sure you weren't.

Honestly, I've made a couple of down bags and I've got nothing but respect for the people that make them commercially. What a major PITA! I loathe, hate, and despise sewing baffles. Those alone are plenty enough to make me want to buy instead of build when it comes to down. Still, if you're gonna run in this crowd you'll find a thread injector is almost an essential piece of gear.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Don't get me wrong... I'm a HUGE do-it-yourselfer. I haven't paid for work on any of my vehicles since my 16th birthday. I didn't have any idea what I was doing either... just the certainty that if it was worth $600 to change a doo-dad, it was worth my time to figure it out!

I've made stoves and all sorts of custom pieces for my vehicles, but alas, I'm in medical school right now (= very little free time) and have my licensing exam in 2 weeks (= zero free time). The two weeks I have free between the licensing exam and starting rounds are going to be spent with my brother wandering around the ozarks.

Definitely NOT my TV. BTW, 26" viewsonic LCD if anyone's interested... the thing hasn't been turned on in 2 years

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    before I got into hammocks, I bought a kit from Ray Jardine, for his sleeping quilt. It wasnt too hard to put together, the quality of the materials was great, and the price was good. It works great for hammocks, and its really light weight. I use it every time I go out!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Shop around the internet, you can buy silnylon "seconds" and I've found 750 rated down to be much cheaper than 900 down. Now if you've just got to have that 900 down and the first quality silnylon, then the price of the finished quilt will be quite similar to just going out and buying it already made. Especially if you can find the ready made one on sale. When I ordered my "internet finds" I ordered enough to make a summer and a winter quilt. That way the two quilts averaged out cheaper than if I'd ordered the materials seperatly. (and way cheaper than ordering 2 different quilts) Now if you do decide to make your own, you do still have to contend with "being satisfied with your own crappy efforts" at sewing.
    sil? really? how does that work? I seem to remember people advising that you want breathable fabric for quilts. (also, down lofting needs air...)

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Not having any cold outdoor camping experience myself but, even though very heavy, wouldn't the down mil-surp mummy bags be good? Found mine, standard od green, new condition for $35. Tried that in my house during winter lying in a la-z-boy, no heat in my bedroom and windows opened (yup, I'm nuts. Indoor temp 29.5F). Had to unzip due to starting to sweat. Maybe too warm. Haven't tried it with the hammock though as I remember the foot area seemed a bit too snug, and its way too warm here now to even consider it. I don't think I'd be able to use my normal sleeping position either. (mentioned before to be "captain morgan")

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    sil? really? how does that work? I seem to remember people advising that you want breathable fabric for quilts. (also, down lofting needs air...)

TH
    I'm using silnylon for all my quilts, top and bottom. The only one I have any kind of issues with is my summer top quilt. Some nights, if it's really humid and hotter than I expected, this quilt will feel sort of clammy next to me. I've now started using a silk sleeping bag liner and not had anymore of the clammy nights. With all my other quilts, none are right next to me. Either the hammock is between me and it (uq's) or with the winter quilt, I've got more clothes on!!!
    As far as breathable fabric, the minute I start sewing, I've put holes into the fabric. I do not seal these holes after I finish making these quilts. And there's lots of holes with the sewing of the no-see-um baffles. Plus my winter down uq is made with "breathable" silnylon on the hammock side. (new quilt and I've not been able to test this one so I don't know yet how I'm gonna like that breathable material) The bottom side is still coated silnylon with all the sewing needle holes. I've not had any problems at all with the down lofting. When compressing my quilts, it does take a little bit longer to get all the air out, but it does compress out.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthorse View Post
    Not having any cold outdoor camping experience myself but, even though very heavy, wouldn't the down mil-surp mummy bags be good? Found mine, standard od green, new condition for $35.
    My husband and son both have those and they've worked out very well for them. They are heavy!!! And you need to watch out for any problems with the material rotting and the zippers getting stuck. I've had to replace one zipper and sew patches on my son's bag. Boy scouts are tough on their equipment but like you, I couldn't beat the price of this bag. Plus it's kept him toasty warm in some cold weather. Both hubby and son are "tenters" but I would imagine that you could use this bag just as well in a hammock. Remember though that the down will compress under you and you'll probably need some other type of bottom insulation (pad or uq) to keep you warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast